Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
James simpson
practical experience, FTW

James simpson is on a distinguished road
Character Accents

I have a Russian character and I was wondering if there is a more professional way of presenting his accent? for example:

"Hey! Vat do you dink you are doing?” Vlad said through a very thick Russian accent.

or

"Hey! What do you think you are doing?” Vlad said through a very thick Russian accent.
James simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James simpson View Post
I have a Russian character and I was wondering if there is a more professional way of presenting his accent? for example:

"Hey! Vat do you dink you are doing?” Vlad said through a very thick Russian accent.

or

"Hey! What do you think you are doing?” Vlad said through a very thick Russian accent.
My thinking is, if done well, you would not need to filter said dialogue tag with a notation that your character is speaking with a very thick Russian accent. I would suggest you refrain from writing accented dialogue unless you are 100% familiar with said accented dialogue, lest your dialogue comes across as forced or fake or semi-ridiculous. Perhaps you should peruse novels in which a Russian character speaks English. Another thought: don't forget dialect, which encompasses both vocabulary and accent.
I don’t know what she’s talking about but I know she’s upset, twisting that hanky like she is. Mom done it with the sheet after Asshole got in that wreck. Why do ladies twist stuff when they get upset? All that twisting, fingers squeezing and pulling like that’ll get all them bad feelings out somehow.
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.:
Louise Docker
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What kkbe said.

Just say he's a Russian and convey that his English is enough. Maybe, sometimes, have him stop and question what word he should be using or if he gets it wrong. But any grammar changes or word changes like "Vat" is annoying and can trip a reader. Lessen the damage as much as possible.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
When it comes to writing dialect and accents into dialogue, less is more.

The occasional reminder that his speech is accented should be enough. Don't sprinkle every sentence with Checkov-isms.

"When it comes down to it it’s always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, it’s won.
Don’t let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
But any grammar changes or word changes like "Vat" is annoying and can trip a reader. Lessen the damage as much as possible.
Unless you're Terry Pratchett.
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
Anything done well...

I live by the rule of lessening damage, not damage control.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Luprec
figuring it all out

Luprec is on a distinguished road
Instead of saying he has a Russian accent, convey this through your other characters' reactions.

I think it's fine to throw in a word here or there with an accented pronunciation, just keep it limited, and nowhere near as often as your character would actually use it. You want to just convey they flavor.
Luprec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Dreity

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
Also make sure it's a real Russian accent, and not the Cold War era stereotype (unless you're doing some sort of subtle post-post-modern satire). Russian doesn't actually sound that harsh or hostile, but Hollywood painted it that way to make their Soviet villains that much scarier.

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
I agree that less is more in this circumstance. The odd word written in an accent will have more impact that whole sentences. I recently had a look at a historical novel where all the characters had thick old-timey accents. I didn't care how historically accurate it was, it was annoying, and made the dialogue almost unreadable. Never make a reader have to guess what's being said.
I have found that the odd word written consistently in dialect, or choosing words and idioms from the culture you are portraying, is more effective.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
James simpson

James simpson is on a distinguished road
I am going to go with the less is more idea, it seems very popular :P He does sound quite standoffish but that is due to his past not being Russian.
James simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
So, how did Rowling tackle Hagrid then? Both dialect and accent, right?
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Scribhneoir
Reinventing Myself

Scribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of light
Give his dialogue a non-native English speaker's syntax. Maybe he doesn't use contractions, for example, or sometimes structures a sentence using Russian syntax rather than English or throws in an occasional Russian word when the English one doesn't come to mind. That sort of thing gets the point across without resorting to phonetic spellings.
Scribhneoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Russians speaking English typically leave out articles, which don't exist in Russian. So, "Where is hotel?" for example.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
You could also throw in the occasional "da" or "nyet." And as Scribhneoir said, the character's word choices and syntax are important.

Percolating Idea: Victorian, Gilded Age.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
fadeaccompli
here and there again

fadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerrei View Post
You could also throw in the occasional "da" or "nyet." And as Scribhneoir said, the character's word choices and syntax are important.
Do people really do this? "Yes" and "No" are usually easy words to remember in a foreign language. They seem like the least likely words for someone to use their own language on, if they have any knowledge of the other language at all. Throwing in an occasional non-English word is fine, but when I see people doing that only with the super-common words, it seems gimmicky and jarring, because the really common words are exactly the ones that the speaker is most likely to know in English anyway.
fadeaccompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I imagine something akin to, "You want hotel key?"

Or, "I bring you waffle. No? Yes?"
I don’t know what she’s talking about but I know she’s upset, twisting that hanky like she is. Mom done it with the sheet after Asshole got in that wreck. Why do ladies twist stuff when they get upset? All that twisting, fingers squeezing and pulling like that’ll get all them bad feelings out somehow.
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.:
Louise Docker
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Chasing the Horizon
Creepy Centipede

Chasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teinz View Post
So, how did Rowling tackle Hagrid then? Both dialect and accent, right?
Hagrid is one of my favorite modern examples of accent within dialogue. I never had to stop to decipher what he was saying, but I could hear that accent in my head so clearly, despite not being familiar with it.

A little definitely goes a long way with phonetic dialogue, but I really dislike the modern trend of not using phonetics at all. Telling me a character has an accent and then writing everything they say in proper English just doesn't give me the sound in my head that phonetic dialogue does. Show, don't tell, you know?

Watch out for intentional misspellings that turn one word into another, though, like 'what' to 'vat'. That gets confusing. I would write that, "Hey! Vhat do you think you are doing?" Gives the sound in my head just fine without being too hard to read. The lack of contractions contributes just as much to the sound of the accent in that sentence as the single misspelling too, at least for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaccompli View Post
Do people really do this? "Yes" and "No" are usually easy words to remember in a foreign language. They seem like the least likely words for someone to use their own language on, if they have any knowledge of the other language at all. Throwing in an occasional non-English word is fine, but when I see people doing that only with the super-common words, it seems gimmicky and jarring, because the really common words are exactly the ones that the speaker is most likely to know in English anyway.
The many, many Russians I went to high school with did, along with inserting other Russian words in the middle of English sentences. Or they'd say something in English and say "da?" at the end, the way we'd go "yes?" if we were looking for an agreement.

It may have had to do with code-switching for them, but I know Japanese people who know "Yes" and "No," but "hai" just slips out of their mouths more easily.

Percolating Idea: Victorian, Gilded Age.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #19
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
Absolutely; the OP's example instantly put me in mind of Otto von Chriek, which can surely only be a good thing.

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Having not read Harry Potter I have no idea about Hagrid and the use of accent. I have, however, read Dracula and there are whole passages, pages upon pages of dialogue written in some Scottish sailor a cent that are totally unreadable. If there was anything important to the story within that dialogue, I missed it as I skipped those parts.

So based on that experience, my vote is to never ever write In Accents or dialects.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
Luprec
figuring it all out

Luprec is on a distinguished road
My boss was born in Russia. He says the hardest sound in English is "th", as in "the". He usually pronounces it as a "z".
Luprec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
Dorky

Dorky has a spectacular aura
I agree that Hagrid is a great example of a well done accent

I would say you should mention do it the second way, but if it his accent is really thick then it should affect some of his words. Phonetic accents can either aggravate or come off as so well done that the voice comes easily to the reader.

When I was a kid, I read a lot of the Redwall books. The moles (burr aye), the hares (wot wot!), the shrews (goodagood), and a lot of other woodland creatures also had an accent of some sort. Everything was spelled out for you, and I actually enjoyed the accents now that I think about it. Heck, I still remember what most of them sound like

If you’re going to spell out the accent, make sure it isn’t too obnoxious and do it really well.
Dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #23
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
Having not read Harry Potter I have no idea about Hagrid and the use of accent. I have, however, read Dracula and there are whole passages, pages upon pages of dialogue written in some Scottish sailor a cent that are totally unreadable.
Dracula was written in a period of time in which "phonetic" rendering of an accent was the accepted norm. It generally isn't, anymore (except maybe Irvine Welsh, who I find unreadable).

English is not a language even close to phonetically-rendered as normally written, and even native English speakers feature a wide variety of accents and pronunciations (think Jamaica, South Africa, Australia, Appalachia, Brooklyn, Boston Southies, Maine Downeasters, English Geordies, etc.).

If you don't believe this, say these words aloud:

bomb
comb
tomb

or, better yet:

tough
though
through
bought
cough
bough

An occasional little tweak might be effective, but comprehensive use of variant intended accent spellings is going to get hammered by just about any editor. A much more effect way of rendering speech from a character for whom English is not a thoroughly fluent tongue is by word choice.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #24
FCameron

FCameron is on a distinguished road
For the French characters in my book, I throw in real French phrases or words now and then (not in every conversation) and ensure that whatever my American characters say in response clarifies to the reader what was said in French.

I've got one Boston accent minor character, where I use "ya" instead of "you" in his few scenes. Still pondering whether to leave it or not.

Thriller: R&R underway for agent
Thriller: WIP
Historical Fiction: Researching

When I'm not writing fiction, I blog (unedited) about what I love at Defining Your Home, Garden & Travel
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #25
phantasy
Let me tell you a Story...

phantasy is a shiny, shiny jewelphantasy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Please don't overdo it. I skipped a few chapters in The Name of the Wind because of it. A headache to read.
phantasy is online now   Reply With Quote