Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
metamemoir
Banned

metamemoir is on a distinguished road
What's a common word count for "short stories"?

For various reasons I've decided to mold some stuff I have into a short story (because it didn't quite fit with the full-length book I was working on) and self-pubbing it on Amazon/Kindle for something cheap like $2.99. Anyway, I was just wondering what a good target would be for word count of a short story that you might pick up like this?
metamemoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I think an unknown writer would have a very hard time selling a short story on Amazon for $2.99.

You might consider writing a novella. The typical wood count varies somewhat by genre, but just say somewhere between 15 and 35k.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In general, flash fiction is <1000 words, a short story is 1000 - 7500 words, a novelette or 'long short story' is 7500 to 17,500, and a novella is 17,500 to 40,000.

A standard short story (4000 - 7000 words) by a Big Name Author generally sells on ebook sites for 99 cents, while novellas tend to be more in the $2.99 range.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Before you do anything like this, go research standard publications. Every one will express a word count preference. And, as has been said, you're not going to sell any short for $2.99 per hit on Amazon/Kindle. Just not.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It would be best for you to take a look through the short stories on Amazon for their word counts and prices. As others have said, selling a short story, whether or not you're actually a famous writer, for $2.99 is a bit high. Well, way too high actually.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
MeganJoWrites
Superpowers: Making babies, writing

MeganJoWrites is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
In general, flash fiction is <1000 words, a short story is 1000 - 7500 words, a novelette or 'long short story' is 7500 to 17,500, and a novella is 17,500 to 40,000.

A standard short story (4000 - 7000 words) by a Big Name Author generally sells on ebook sites for 99 cents, while novellas tend to be more in the $2.99 range.
All of this.

I think a novella by an unknown/unestablished writer should be 99 cents. I just read a novella by a romance author who is well-known and signed by a publisher and that was 99 cents.

Website/blog: meganerickson.org
MeganJoWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:

I agree with this.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
WriterBN
practical experience, FTW

WriterBN is well-respected
I have a collection of short stories (around 50K words total) that I plan to price at 2.99. I'm also writing an individual short story, to use as a promo for the book. That will be at $0.99--I may consider doing a free promo through Kindle Select.

In general, I think it would be tough to sell a single short story at $2.99.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Luprec
figuring it all out

Luprec is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterBN View Post
I have a collection of short stories (around 50K words total) that I plan to price at 2.99.
WriterBN, I would love to know how that goes!
Luprec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

Agreed. This matches the information that I've seen.

I've also seen quite a few blogs where unknown authors where selling entire novels in ebook form for 99 cents, just to try to get their name out. It's a very competative market. It's not enough to simply put it on Amazon. One has to be prepared to market and promote the story themselves, or the readers may never see it.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
WriterBN
practical experience, FTW

WriterBN is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luprec View Post
WriterBN, I would love to know how that goes!
I'll let you know--currently waiting for the paperback proof copy to arrive. I want to release the e-book and paperback at the same time.