Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
AshleyDarling
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

AshleyDarling is on a distinguished road
Hello!

Hello all! My name is Ashley and I'm from Arkansas. I have a bachelor's in history and a masters in teaching. I'm awaiting decisions on my creative writing MFA applications to four schools: University of Alabama, University of Mississippi, McNeese State University, and Oregon State University.

I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I used to write a lot of collaborative stories in online roleplaying games, but not so much anymore. Life has just gotten in the way.

I read a ton of books, mostly fantasy/sci-fi and YA, not necessarily in that order. Currently reading Changeling by Philippa Gregory, other recent reads include Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion and Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Other favorites include GRRM, Rowling, Hobb, etc.

Right now I have a couple of ideas in the works. One story is about Hook as an original Lost Boy and the events that led up to him becoming the dreaded Captain Hook. It currently sits at 34 pages (it's more of a short story currently. I could expand it, but I'm not sure I want to). The other story is focused on a trio of teenagers who are on the run from the government after being exposed to a virus that causes increased strength and stamina, and eventually turns them into werewolves. I feel like this might just be a mix of things I've read before, so yeah. There's that.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello! I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

Last edited by AshleyDarling; 01-29-2013 at 11:44 PM.
AshleyDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heeeeeey Ashley!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum
Originally Posted by CassandraW View Post
What. the F. am I now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Niti Newtfinger
practical experience, FTW

Niti Newtfinger is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the boards!
Niti Newtfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Rbrown8384
New Fish; Exploring the Written Sea

Rbrown8384 is on a distinguished road
Hello Ashley! Welcome to AW!
Rbrown8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
StevenHarvey1990

StevenHarvey1990 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Ashley.

What medium will you be writing in? Your ideas sound intriguing. I love Hook so you've gotten me all curious.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
AshleyDarling

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenHarvey1990 View Post
Welcome Ashley.

What medium will you be writing in? Your ideas sound intriguing. I love Hook so you've gotten me all curious.
I'm not sure what you mean by medium!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome aboard ...

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
StevenHarvey1990

StevenHarvey1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyDarling View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not sure what you mean by medium!
Screenplay or Novel?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
geekygyrl88

geekygyrl88 is on a distinguished road
Welcome!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
jackdomino
28 tiles, such a wonderful game...

Location: Currently the Garden State but trying to book a flight out...
jackdomino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyDarling View Post
Hello all! My name is Ashley and I'm from Arkansas. I have a bachelor's in history and a masters in teaching. I'm awaiting decisions on my creative writing MFA applications to four schools: University of Alabama, University of Mississippi, McNeese State University, and Oregon State University.

I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I used to write a lot of collaborative stories in online roleplaying games, but not so much anymore. Life has just gotten in the way.

I read a ton of books, mostly fantasy/sci-fi and YA, not necessarily in that order. Currently reading Changeling by Philippa Gregory, other recent reads include Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion and Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Other favorites include GRRM, Rowling, Hobb, etc.

Right now I have a couple of ideas in the works. One story is about Hook as an original Lost Boy and the events that led up to him becoming the dreaded Captain Hook. It currently sits at 34 pages (it's more of a short story currently. I could expand it, but I'm not sure I want to). The other story is focused on a trio of teenagers who are on the run from the government after being exposed to a virus that causes increased strength and stamina, and eventually turns them into werewolves. I feel like this might just be a mix of things I've read before, so yeah. There's that.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello! I'm looking forward to being part of this community.
Liking the Hook story as well as the teen werewolves.
"You thought fighting pimples was tough? Try lycanthropy."

Boo. Bad tagline. Sorry.
Welcome to AW!
jackdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
AshleyDarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenHarvey1990 View Post
Screenplay or Novel?
Novel! Well, right now it's short of in short-story format. I'm hoping to expand it eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdomino View Post
Liking the Hook story as well as the teen werewolves.
"You thought fighting pimples was tough? Try lycanthropy."

Boo. Bad tagline. Sorry.
Welcome to AW!
Haha, I might use that! It's hard to be encouraged about ideas that sound entirely like others I've read, ya know? It's not exact, but it's close enough to make me worry.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Neporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*Waves hi and offers a welcome basket filled with assorted drinks*

Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.- Jack London
Neporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
L. Y.
functions better after some sleep

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
Welcome. I like fantasy and sci-fi, too.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 160K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 67K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
regdog
Kreon Prowl
AW Moderator

Location: Protecting, Serving and well he's a Kreon so who knows what he's up to
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Donít make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other membersí works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-Updated on 7/18/14 Food Allergies

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Rockweaver

Rockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputation
Hi Ashley welcome aboard

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Growing old is required. Growing up not so much.
Rockweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Griffin Hayes
One evil little baby step at a time

Griffin Hayes is well-respected
Welcome to AW!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
MsPuck
...But you can call me Kristen.

MsPuck is on a distinguished road
Hello, Ashley! (Fellow Rowling fan)
MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #21
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern It©

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
- I just had to pop in and say Hi to someone named Ashley Darling...

...sounds like the name of a heroine in a play set in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
You haven't lived 'til you've been Laverned!

Kylabelle: Laverning is how I get through the long days... (Don't ask about the long nights, just don't)
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote