Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
AnneGlynn
If you don't try, you can't fail

AnneGlynn is well-respected
Can I KDP just a part of my story collection?

Next month, I hope to release a collection of my novellas into the wild. My newest and longest story, One Bride for Seven Brothers, hasn't been published and I'm considering placing it on KDP Select.

However, I also want it to be in the collection -- and I want to offer the collection to all of the available outlets, not just Amazon. I'm having trouble finding out if this is within the KDP rules.

Do you know if I'm allowed to do this?

My website? http://www.anneglynn.com/

Most weeks, I write about writing and romance, and writing romances. Most weeks. You have been warned.
AnneGlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
YES...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Katie Elle
Banned

Katie Elle is well-respected
No, if something is in Select, it can't appear anywhere but Amazon.
Katie Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
AnneGlynn

Somehow, I'm still confused....

Most weeks, I write about writing and romance, and writing romances. Most weeks. You have been warned.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
I'm saying Yes to the original question: can you KDP Select just a part of your collection. But that part cannot be available anywhere else if it is enrolled in Select.
I think that is right.

I think a quick email to amazon would sort it out quickly.
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Katie Elle
Banned

Katie Elle is well-respected
If I'm interpreting it correctly, the question comes up a lot. The exclusivity clause refers to Amazon having exclusive rights to a "Digital Book." Some people have questioned whether the "Digital Book" as it's put in the terms of service is the "book as an object" or "the book as the contents of the book." In this case the "object" being a single short story published as a separate publication as compared to a different "object" consisting of an anthology of stories among which is the story. Ie, can you bundle the story to get around the exclusivity requirement.

Amazon has always interpreted the exclusivity as meaning exclusivity of content, which I'm guessing is why the "or a book that is substantially similar" is in there. I've heard of people who've gotten angry letters because there were excerpts on their webpage that got picked up by the Amazon search engine.
Katie Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
AnneGlynn

Thanks, guys.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Katie and Spell are right. When you opt in to KDP Select, you cannot have the content of that book available anywhere else, including in a collection. Once the 90 days are up and the title is no longer in Select, you'd be able to have that content available anywhere you like. Hate that exclusivity clause.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
AnneGlynn

Appreciated, Merri.