Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
Evil Sisters

A while back I asked for some help coming up with some examples in literature, film or mythology of sisters betraying their brothers. I got some good examples from people but unfortunately none really fit with what I needed.

I figured I'd expand a little bit and just go for examples of evil sisters. I find I cannot think of any good ones besides Morgana so any help would be greatly appreciated.
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
lbender
practical experience, FTW

lbender is a shiny, shiny jewellbender is a shiny, shiny jewel
Do you mean evil sisters of good brothers or sisters, or just women who are sisters and are evil, regardless of the quality of their siblings?
lbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
dirtsider
Not so new, really

dirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of light
Or are you asking about siblings betraying each other. Do they have to be 'evil'?
dirtsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
cornflake

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's an awesome X-Files episode called 'Eve,' though as with the above posters' questions, I'm not exactly sure if it's what you're looking for.

Chris Carter ended up a mess, but his devotion to writing actually full-on homicidal or evil kids and to offing kids onscreen was admirable, imo. Just as most people shy away from it, even if they feel it fits the story.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
benbenberi

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
Ballads are full of evil sisters. In "The Two Sisters," frex, the older sister pushes the younger into the river and watches her drown (& that's just the beginning -- in at least 1 version, musicians find the drowned body and make a harp of the bones and hair, & the skeleton harp tells the story of how she died). Folklore & "fairy tales" are also full of evil sisters (again, it's often an elder sister who is jealous of a younger & does something dreadful to her, more rarely the other way round).
benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbender View Post
Do you mean evil sisters of good brothers or sisters, or just women who are sisters and are evil, regardless of the quality of their siblings?
basically this, but let me set up why I need it.

This is a YA mystery. My MC is looking into the death of a schoolmate. He finds a name written down in the schoolmate's notes (the name I am looking for but don't have yet). He spends some time looking for this person but never finds her. Cut to the end when you find that the schoolmate's sister killed her brother because he found out what she was involved in. The MC knows what happened but has no evidence. But he ends up with the schoolmates' computer and finds encrypted files on it but needs a password to unlock and he'll find evidence of what the sister was involved in. I want the password to be the evil sister name I am looking for since it unlocks files proving the bad things his sister did.

re-reading that I'm not sure how clear that it but it's the best I can do. T
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
Briony Tallis in Atonement by Ian McEwan did something that could be construed as evil to her older sister Cecilia (well, really, to the love of Cecilia's life). And Scarlett O'Hara wasn't very nice to her sisters, was she?

Percolating Idea: Gilded Age. Victoria expects to marry her cousin Conrad, except he marries an American heiress.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Friendly Frog

Friendly Frog is a shiny, shiny jewelFriendly Frog is a shiny, shiny jewel
King Arthur's sister Morgaine?

EDIT: Oh snap, I should read further. Never mind.

Last edited by Friendly Frog; 01-28-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The two ugly ones?

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
Aren't there sisters in Wicked?
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
King Lear's daughters Goneril and Regan - Cordelia is the youngest and 'goodest' of the daughters. They are all dead at the end of the play.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Komnena
In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah

Komnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Firebird by Kathy tyers

Komnena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
dirtsider
Not so new, really

dirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds a bit like Pretty Little Liars. And your second post doesn't make me think the sister is 'evil' so much as either desparate or frightened. A person doesn't have to be evil to do something people might consider evil.

What was the sister doing that made her kill her brother when he got too close? Heck, the brother could've been the 'evil' one in this case.
dirtsider is offline   Reply With Quote