Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Layla Nahar
Seashell Seller

Layla Nahar leaves trails of profuse coolnessLayla Nahar leaves trails of profuse coolnessLayla Nahar leaves trails of profuse coolnessLayla Nahar leaves trails of profuse coolnessLayla Nahar leaves trails of profuse coolness
Do you write slower at the beginning?

If you make up your story as you write it, does it take longer when you are writing the beginning? Do you notice a difference between novels and short stories in this aspect of writing?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Beachgirl
Write, dammit!

Beachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admiration
I completely wing it, but I find I actually write faster at the beginning. It's the middle, right around 15k-20k, when it slows down and I struggle. Once I get to around 25k-30k it starts to take off again.

BookStrand* Amazon
Blog * Twitter
AW Library
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
Oh my gosh yes! I write more words in the last 3 weeks then I write in the previous 2 months. At the beginning I have a lot of doubts and worries and I'm still getting used to things. At the end, all the doubts are gone and I write like a crazy person because I want to see how it's going to end.

I do notice a difference. A short story for me can be slow all the way through or quick all the through. Novels for me always, ALWAYS start out slow and end fast.

Works in Progress:

Dark YA Fantasy (Drafting)
Dark YA Fantasy (Outlining)
Top Secret Sci-Fi Project (Outlining)

katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
AKyber36
practical experience, FTW

AKyber36 is on a distinguished road
The middle is where I trudge, and transitions are a pain in the ass. I also find slower sections (the down-time) of the story makes me sit back and think more. Action scenes seem to fly out from my fingers to the keyboard, since I like writing them.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Shenanigans!
figuring it all out

Shenanigans! is on a distinguished road
I write a bit slower at the beginning as I'm getting back into the hang of things. However I also have to combat writing faster writing when I reach the finale. I get excited and have to avoid cutting corners in the process of finishing.
Shenanigans! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Tepelus
Never

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first drafts are slow no matter where I'm at in the story.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
Nope, beginnings are my fastest. Probably the first 10-20k. Heading into the middle is when I start to slow down, then I usually pick up again towards the end.

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
It's hard for me to say, since I don't exactly analyze the pace of my writing, but I think I'm fairly consistent, speed-wise, throughout, or I may be a bit slower at the end as I try to make sure everything comes together properly.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No. I generally write faster at the beginning (which doesn't mean the beginning of the story, necessarily, just the beginning of the writing). I get slower when I begin to worry about making the damn thing work as a readable narrative.

caw
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
SianaBlackwood

SianaBlackwood is well-respected
I write at about the same rate the whole way through the draft, but sometimes it's harder going and sometimes it feels easy. Whenever I feel myself slowing down, that's my cue to step back from the story and do some brainstorming about where it should go next.

So far it's killed at least three WIPs and my blog.
SianaBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputation
I generally start out fast, go slow during the middle, then speed up again at the end.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 172K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 70K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 49,000/120,000
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Elenma
figuring it all out

Elenma is on a distinguished road
For me, the opening scene or chapter can be very slow as I'm trying to find the right voice and battling self-doubts. Then my pace usually picks up, I slow down toward the middle and, if everything goes alright, I speed up again toward the end. But I'm not sure how exactly this translates to words written a day. It's possible it's more how slow or fast the writing feels than the actual amount of words written.

I only write novels (these days). Short stories are not my thing, so I don't know what the difference would be for me (anymore).
Elenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Stephanie Witter
figuring it all out

Stephanie Witter is on a distinguished road
I write a first chapter very slowly. I think my doubts are the main reason. I don't want to ruin everything with a bad first chapter but once it's written, I'm way faster because that's when I tell myself it's only a first draft and I can rewrite it later.
But I'm also slow in the beginning because I have to get used to the tone and voice of a new story.
Stephanie Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredXgeorge View Post
Nope, beginnings are my fastest. Probably the first 10-20k. Heading into the middle is when I start to slow down, then I usually pick up again towards the end.

Exactly that

When I have a Shiny New Idea, my fingers are a blur on the keyboard. I slow down at about 20 - 30k ish but get quicker as I see the end looming into view

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
u.v.ray
greatest writer of his generation

u.v.ray is on a distinguished road
I do not believe in being a lily-livered, panty-waisted pussy. Show any weakness and the story itself will take advantage of one's limp wrists.

I exhale whisky fumes angrily. And I write fast and I write hard. All the way through. Hammer the bastard into submission with scant regard for plot or reason.

That is my method.

"We Are Glass is a bruising encounter yet it flickers with compassion and is the best short story collection Iíve read since Dan Fanteís Corksucker back in 2005" -- Mark Raison.

http://www.uvray.moonfruit.com
u.v.ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A good, right opening makes the entire story possible. A poor, wrong opening makes the rest of the story almost impossible. Get the opening right, and the rest of the novel almost tells itself. Get it wrong, and the rest of the novel will be poor, at best. This means I work much slower in the beginning.

Short stories are not the same. I often finish a short story, first word to final. submittable form, in a matter of hours.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Depends.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To back up Buffy, every story is different, so the way I approach each is different. I agree with JAR about the beginnings, and some flow easily and some require a more calculated approach. I do what the story requires and I don't worry about the time involvement.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I will agonize over the first few sentences/paragraphs. Once I get them down so they set up the tone of the story (at least in my mind), it's pretty steady all the way through. A few roadbumps as I stop to figure out whether I should go right or left, but otherwise...
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are. - Milton Berle

There's only one absolute in writing - Never listen to absolutes.
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a pantser and I write slower in the middle where I realize I have to have a real plot.
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla Nahar View Post
If you make up your story as you write it, does it take longer when you are writing the beginning? Do you notice a difference between novels and short stories in this aspect of writing?
Beginnings are slow for me, and this is true whether it's the beginning of a novel, a short story, or a scene. I'm feeling my way, sorting through a myriad of possibilities. I pick up speed in the middle (middles are tremendous fun. I'm like a kid playing with fire), but I usually stick about 3/4 of the way through, when it's time to start gathering up all the loose wires and connecting them for the final explosion. At that point I have to slow way down. The actual ending, once all the pieces are in place, is generally quick.

Last edited by BethS; 01-24-2013 at 08:09 PM.
BethS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
Depends.
That's what I like about you, Buffy. You're so decisive.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
teeta6404

teeta6404 is on a distinguished road
I have tried writing as I go, and when I do that I write much faster in the beginning.
I have done outlines and story boards, and when I do that I feel like I get the most writing done in the middle.

Obviously Opinionated http://obviouslyopinionated.com
teeta6404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #24
flapperphilosopher
writing like it's 1927

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
I write fast at the beginning because I want to get it all down in some form, so it's pegged and I won't lose it. I don't worry about it being good or deep when I start writing, I just want it down. On this novel I didn't want to stop because of some fear that if I did the flow would cease and I'd be left with three-quarters and that's it. On the successive rewrites though my pace has varied a ton based on other things, though it's probably still somewhat faster at the start of that particular rewrite so I can immerse myself in what I'm doing with it.

My blog, connecting with people of the past through their photographs: The Passion of Former Days
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
People talk about writing slowly in the middle. I definitely do not want to have to slow down in that "sagging" middle, and this is the biggest reason I write slowly at the start. A slow, sagging middle means I did something seriously wrong at the beginning. A fast, easy to write middle means I did everything right with the opening.