Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Saturnine
Saturnine

Saturnine is on a distinguished road
Help with writing a synopsis?

I tried to search old threads for this, but so many results came up that didn't answer my question, I figured it might be easier to start a new thread... I apologize if this has been answered before!

I recently submitted a full ms to an agent, and she sent me a follow up email today saying she's about halfway through it, but she would like a full synopsis of the novel. I've never written a synopsis for fiction (only just the two-paragraph blurb that might go on the back of a book) and I obviously don't want to do it wrong since it's for an agent.

Is there a format? Any pointers anyone could give me? Do you give the ending away in a synopsis? I can pop out fiction at a dizzying pace, but when it comes to writing things like summaries or query letters and the like, I'm really awful....
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
suki
Opinionated

suki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Saturnine. Welcome to AW.

Go to Query Letter Hell in Share Your Work - password is vista (I think - if not, it's likely printed right under the place where you enter the password on the gateway screen).

There you will find resources on writing a synopsis and threads where people have posted their own synopsis for critique. You can't start your own thread for critique until you have 50 posts, but you can learn by reading the resources and reading the critiques. And if maybe even offering some critique of your own, while on your way to 50 posts.

~suki

Website ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads

PERSONAL EFFECTS (Candlewick Press, September 2012). Now available! B&N ~ Amazon ~ IndieBound~
Interested in supporting a great indie bookstore (and ordering an autographed copy of Personal Effects at the same time)? Read more here.
suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Little Ming
practical experience, FTW

Little Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Generally:

A synopsis covers your story from beginning to end, so yes, you give away the ending. The synopsis is for the agent to know that you can plot, there aren't any (or too many) loose ends or massive plot holes, there's a story arc, a character arc, etc.

However, how in depth the synopsis gets into subplots and nuances will depend on its length. Check the agent's guidelines to see if there's a specific length, or any other specific requirements. If not, I usually go for 2 pages singled spaced, or 3-5 pages double spaced.
Little Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
emccabe

emccabe is well-respected
I found this page helpful.

http://www.wherethemapends.com/write...s/synopses.htm

I do not know if it is sound advice but it dose give you somewhere to start.
emccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
DanielaTorre
Widely Regarded as a Bad Move

DanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admiration
GuruLord posted a helpful link on synopsis last year. It takes Star Wars as an example and it is probably the best tutorial on synopsis I've ever seen. Very simple too. Help me a ton.

http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/...page-synopsis/
DanielaTorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's a step by step on synopsis writing in the SYW forum, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly where it is (or I'd link it). I'd definitely poke around in that forum, though, as there are a lot of threads and some good advice there.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
ucf612

ucf612 is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaTorre View Post
GuruLord posted a helpful link on synopsis last year. It takes Star Wars as an example and it is probably the best tutorial on synopsis I've ever seen. Very simple too. Help me a ton.

http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/...page-synopsis/
I was just about to post this same one. I haven't used it yet because I'm not to that stage but I thought it was great info.
MG Future WIP - P.R.A.E. - Planning
ucf612 is offline   Reply With Quote