Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
jennarielly
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

jennarielly is on a distinguished road
So we have all of these post-apocalyptic novels...

what about novels that chronicle the actual apocalypse itself? Are there any apocalypse novels? Or do they all take place afterwards?

Just curious because it is something that I would be interested in reading/writing and I don't think I've ever seen any.

What do you guys think?
jennarielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
williemeikle
The force is strong in this one.

williemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennarielly View Post
what about novels that chronicle the actual apocalypse itself? Are there any apocalypse novels? Or do they all take place afterwards?

Just curious because it is something that I would be interested in reading/writing and I don't think I've ever seen any.

What do you guys think?
Not Young Adult, but Lucifer's Hammer chronicles the actual disaster.

And The Stand covers Captain Trips right from the very beginning...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Charlie Higson's zombie series covers what many of the characters were up to at the time society fell. And that one dreadful series...Gone, I think? It too late for me to think of more but there are plenty of others.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
The only one that springs to mind right now is Children of the Dust (the first third of the book is about the nuclear war, the rest about the aftermath).

Also, there is The Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham) and The Tripods series (by John Christopher) if you are interested in alien apocalypses.

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a sweet and smutty fantasy novella)
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
maybegenius
might be a giant

maybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of light
I think the ASHES trilogy by Isla J. Bick is about a apocalypse-in-the-process?

Also, ANGELFALL by Susan Ee is a (very well-done) self-pubbed YA that was picked up by Amazon Publishing that opens six weeks after angels attack Earth, so it sort of fits.

My Blog | My Twitter | My Tumblr
maybegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Forget apocalypse or post-apocalypse novels.

I'm interested in pre-apocalypse. When everyone knows the world is about to end.

Think Melancholia.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

What do you guys think?
World War Z is a good 'oral history' of the zombie apocalypse. Fun stuff.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Violeta
All I Ever Wanted Was The World

Violeta is a shiny, shiny jewelVioleta is a shiny, shiny jewel
I would consider an alien invasion to be an apocalyptic
event, so POD (pearls of death), by Stephen Wallenfels. It's YA.
-WIP#1 - YA Sci-Fi - Second Draft- Writing-

-------------Get your premade covers here------------------
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
eparadysz
practical experience, FTW

eparadysz is a glorious beacon of lighteparadysz is a glorious beacon of light
ASHFALL by Mike Mullin is about the eruption of a super-volcano and its aftermath.

It's always darkest before the bottom drops out.

eparadysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
bertrigby
Dysfunctional dystopian

bertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewelbertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlittlebird View Post
The only one that springs to mind right now is Children of the Dust (the first third of the book is about the nuclear war, the rest about the aftermath).
most. terrifying. book. ever.

I seem to rec this series all the time on here, but Jean Ure's Plague series starts off with the apocalypse, then books 1 and 2 are post.

eta: pre-apocalypse - endgame by chris wooding. also scary.

My website is here and my twitter is here.

bertrigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Quote:

What do you guys think?
Working on one now.
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebrown View Post
Working on one now.
^

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by williemeikle View Post
Not Young Adult, but Lucifer's Hammer chronicles the actual disaster.

And The Stand covers Captain Trips right from the very beginning...
Lucifers Hammer made me think about a lot of things I had not considered before. Very good book...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
jennarielly
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

jennarielly is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys! I never realized there were so many! I will definitely have to read some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post

I'm interested in pre-apocalypse. When everyone knows the world is about to end.
This is kind of what I meant! Like a novel that goes through everyone knowing and finding out it is going to happen and then as the climax or whatever being it actually happening. Then maybe one or two other books showing what happens after.

It's like the prequel to a dystopian! lol
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah is well-respected
I'm actually doing one that's pre apocalyptic, apocalyptic, post apocalyptic, pre evacuation, and evacuation, and post earth evacuation, pre totalitarian wars, totalitarian wars, post totalitarian wars, planet colonization, and post planet colonization all in one novel.

Chapter Book Series
Nymphs Of Winter Fire (Volume 1) -- Chapter Book -- Portal Fantasy -- 8,000/7,000 words.
Nymphs Of Winter Fire (Volume 2) -- Portal Fantasy -- Portal Fantasy -- 8,000/7,000 Words

Skull-Fairy Dance
Character Illustrations
JustSarah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
Jessica_312

Jessica_312 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What do you guys think?
These are some YA novels that show the "apocalypse" actually happening (all of these deal with a 'zombie' type apocalypse - not actual zombies, but something that affects the way people act). I enjoyed reading all three:

Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts
Ashes by Ilsa Bick
Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Think Melancholia.
It's not YA but The Last Policeman by Ben Winters is an awesome noir-ish mystery set in a world where an asteroid is going to hit earth in a couple of months. I loved it.
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My favorite kind of stories are when the end of the world is a metaphor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MttStrn View Post
It's not YA but The Last Policeman by Ben Winters is an awesome noir-ish mystery set in a world where an asteroid is going to hit earth in a couple of months. I loved it.
Someone else suggested this in a rep, too. I don't generally like crime fiction, but maybe I'll check it out.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #19
Rachael_A

Rachael_A is a shiny, shiny jewelRachael_A is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:

Think Melancholia.
This. I want to read stuff that exists between Our World and the crazy dystopian, post-apocalyptic world of the future. Stuff that makes the crazy seem eerily possible and way too close to home.

Also, Melancholia is in my Netflix queue and I'm thinking I need to watch it

Website|Twitter|Tumblr

17 F1RST K1SSES (YA Contemporary) - Harper Teen - June 17, 2014
Rachael_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #20
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another one is "Life as We Knew It" by Susan Beth Pfeffer.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is Not a Test, by Courtney Summers
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The oldest one I can think of dates back to the 19th century: Omega, by Camille Flammarion. He was an astronomer, and wrote this novel based on the idea of a cometary collision disaster. It's actually pretty good, and worth a read, if you can find it.

A half-century ago, at the height of the Cold War, Level-7 by Mordecai Richler provided an unrelentingly bleak account of a nuclear apocalypse. Also too little read today.

And there's always Daphne DuMaurier's delightful little novella, The Birds, which was the basis for the classic Hitchcock movie. Except in DuMaurier's story, the ending isn't quite so nice.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
lolchemist
Shooting stars.

lolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admiration
I'd like to read something like that! As long as the romance part of it isn't too hamfisted. I imagine authors just shoving ther characters together like THE WORLD IS ENDING GO FALL IN LOVE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! And the idea just makes me gag. Like if the possible end of the world was happening right now I'm sure my teenaged self could probably get a grip on her hormones and not worry about getting a boyfriend right now. I'd bee too worried about staying alive, my friends, family and pets. Food and shelter, finding information, finding other survivors, etc etc. And don't even get me started on love triangles LOL

Current WIP (YA Contemporary) - Book 1: 32,958 of 90,000 X Book 2: 40,359 of 90,000
Current WIP (YA Fantasy) - Book 1: 68,055 of 75,000 x Book 2:
10,512 of 75,000
x Book 3:
09,962 of 75,000 x Book 4:
12,490 of 75,000
lolchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #24
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSarah View Post
I'm actually doing one that's pre apocalyptic, apocalyptic, post apocalyptic, pre evacuation, and evacuation, and post earth evacuation, pre totalitarian wars, totalitarian wars, post totalitarian wars, planet colonization, and post planet colonization all in one novel.

That's impressive! Are you sure that's just one book? It sounds like it would make a great outline for a big series.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah is well-respected
I'm definitely leaning toward a series, I'm just being conservative cause of my tendency to underwrite.D:

Chapter Book Series
Nymphs Of Winter Fire (Volume 1) -- Chapter Book -- Portal Fantasy -- 8,000/7,000 words.
Nymphs Of Winter Fire (Volume 2) -- Portal Fantasy -- Portal Fantasy -- 8,000/7,000 Words

Skull-Fairy Dance
Character Illustrations
JustSarah is online now   Reply With Quote