Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bookies, ya gotta see this

The exterior of the Kansas City Public Library (photo 6):

http://local.msn.com/travel/10-of-th...sual-buildings

The piece is pejorative about goofy buildings, but I just plain love it. Gotta see it sometime.

caw
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's awesome. I'm in KC on occasion--now I have a place to visit next time.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Emily Winslow
Do Not Walk on the Grass

Emily Winslow is a shiny, shiny jewelEmily Winslow is a shiny, shiny jewel
Baffling. Every time I click the link, the article flashes for a moment (I can read the headline) and then is replaced by a weather report. ???

"[Winslow is] brilliant at portraying the ragged fragments of these lives.
What emerges isn't a single killer with motive and means, but a tangle of stories crossing and colliding,
stray intersections of incidents and accidents, misunderstandings and misreadings,
all thanks to the myopia of individual perspectives and the self-centeredness of individual desires.”
-Washington Post
Emily Winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Winslow View Post
Baffling. Every time I click the link, the article flashes for a moment (I can read the headline) and then is replaced by a weather report. ???
Same here. Crap, more snow....

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Emily Winslow
Do Not Walk on the Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Same here. Crap, more snow....
Are you in the UK too? I'm *loving* the snow :-)

What emerges isn't a single killer with motive and means, but a tangle of stories crossing and colliding,
stray intersections of incidents and accidents, misunderstandings and misreadings,
all thanks to the myopia of individual perspectives and the self-centeredness of individual desires.”
-Washington Post
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was loving it right up till they sent the kids home from school! (And it made work mental yesterday. Ugh)

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
Hmm, that's pretty cool. I'll have to go *check it out.*

The Starlights—gritty young adult (querying)

blog & twitter
folkchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Some of those must be the super-large print editions, especially Fahrenheit 451.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Shenanigans!
figuring it all out

Shenanigans! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Same thing happening to me. I ended up just checking it out on google images.
Shenanigans! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
benluby
practical experience, FTW

benluby has a spectacular aura
Quote:

Here it is.

benluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
I think the link doesn't work if you're outside the US. Doesn't work for me, either.

But it's really cool, and I wish it wasn't so far away from me!
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
The exterior of the Kansas City Public Library (photo 6):

http://local.msn.com/travel/10-of-th...sual-buildings
But where's 'Fifty Shades', possibly the biggest contribution to universal literacy so far this century?

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The accompanying article is little more than shallow snark and ignorance, imo. Cool pics, though.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
AKyber36

AKyber36 is on a distinguished road
That's awesome! =) The world's one big bookshelf. I like that Plato's The Republic is there along with Fahrenheit 451.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
Vito
Daydream Believer

Vito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Reminds me of Gumby and Pokey, walking out of a book...
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #16
elindsen
Some vampire love

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I love the library. That'd be so cool to see in person.

The article needed less snark.

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Blog

UntitledZombieStory 24,238/25,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread title
Bookies, ya gotta see this
Why would someone who takes and pays off bets be interested in this?

Really, you should be aiming this thread toward bibliophiles, instead; they'd surely find it amusing.

I like that library.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #18
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousbill View Post
But where's 'Fifty Shades', possibly the biggest contribution to universal literacy so far this century?
They done built it before that there book come out. I bet they ain't got nothin' by James Patterson, neither.

I would love to see what other volume spines they have on that building, though.

And it bugs me that the writer of that article included this building because it was considered 'weird' and somehow offensively impractical.

caw
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Emily Winslow
Do Not Walk on the Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
Here it is.
Thanks, benluby! Glad I got to see it. I'd love walking by that every day.

-Washington Post
Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
Here it is.

That is just so cool. On so many levels.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"I suspect a diabolical plan is afoot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Does it have windows?
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
aikigypsy

aikigypsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
The accompanying article is little more than shallow snark and ignorance, imo. Cool pics, though.
I second that motion.

Most of these buildings are really cool (with exceptions for the offerings from Dubai, South Korea, and the as-yet-unbuilt Chinese attempt to make a tall building way too fast).
aikigypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
little_e
Trust: that most precious coin.

little_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
I second that motion.

Most of these buildings are really cool (with exceptions for the offerings from Dubai, South Korea, and the as-yet-unbuilt Chinese attempt to make a tall building way too fast).
Do you mean N Korea? I don't remember S Korea being in the lineup, (though I could be wrong.) Vietnam had a pretty meh tomb for Ho Chi Minh.

I liked the Dubai building.
little_e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #25
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Try this link:

http://www.homedit.com/kansas-city-public-library/

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote