Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
thekingsguard
Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur

thekingsguard is on a distinguished road
Gangster Squad

Nice fun little movie, especially if you're a fan of pulp era gangster films or film noir. Plus, there are worse ways to spend $8 bucks than cops vs robbers with Emma Stone/Ryan Gosling to spice things up.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
lefty23
figuring it all out

lefty23 is on a distinguished road
I didn't like this as much as I thought i was going to. It did get me to rewatch L.A. Confidential, so that was 1 positive.
lefty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
ElJeffe
figuring it all out

ElJeffe is on a distinguished road
I'm really interested in seeing this, based largely off Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, who are both completely fantabulous. I am less excited about watching Sean Penn play Cartoon Sean Penn, but I can get past that.
ElJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
lefty23
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJeffe View Post
I'm really interested in seeing this, based largely off Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, who are both completely fantabulous. I am less excited about watching Sean Penn play Cartoon Sean Penn, but I can get past that.
I was kind of in the same boat as you when i went to watch it. I think Gosling does a good job, but unfortunately the script didn't give Emma much to do. She does look great when she's on screen though.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJeffe View Post
I am less excited about watching Sean Penn play Cartoon Sean Penn, but I can get past that.
When I saw the preview, I thought Sean Penn looked like a Dick Tracy bad guy.

Remember the first trailer, from last summer? It included a shootout in a movie theater, with characters blasting right through the movie screen with Thompsons. Then that asshole shot up the movie theater in Colorado, and they not only took that out of the trailer, they took it out of the movie, and shot new scenes to work around it.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty23 View Post
I was kind of in the same boat as you when i went to watch it. I think Gosling does a good job, but unfortunately the script didn't give Emma much to do. She does look great when she's on screen though.
This would typically be the kind of movie I'd make a point of going to see. Sean Penn is for me, one of the best actors in the business. But I am not at all surprised to see that you were disappointed. It does ring of something not altogether authentic. What was your disappointment really? Where do you think it missed?
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
lefty23
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
This would typically be the kind of movie I'd make a point of going to see. Sean Penn is for me, one of the best actors in the business. But I am not at all surprised to see that you were disappointed. It does ring of something not altogether authentic. What was your disappointment really? Where do you think it missed?
I'm usually a big sean penn fan too with the exception of just a few films, but he actually doesn't get as much screen time as I expected.

Really, there are too many disappointments to list/discuss (especially without giving away key moments in the film), but the main problem is i don't think the director or the actors knew what kind of a film they were making (dick tracy or LA confidential). It was sort of in between and just didn't work for me.

There were a few fun moments in it, and i actually really enjoyed the first 10-15 minutes, but it went downhill from there. I will mention that the Brolin character has to be the worst leader of any police 'squad' that i've ever seen and this movie had one of the worst climaxes i've seen in a while.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty23 View Post
I'm usually a big sean penn fan too with the exception of just a few films, but he actually doesn't get as much screen time as I expected.

Really, there are too many disappointments to list/discuss (especially without giving away key moments in the film), but the main problem is i don't think the director or the actors knew what kind of a film they were making (dick tracy or LA confidential). It was sort of in between and just didn't work for me.

There were a few fun moments in it, and i actually really enjoyed the first 10-15 minutes, but it went downhill from there. I will mention that the Brolin character has to be the worst leader of any police 'squad' that i've ever seen and this movie had one of the worst climaxes i've seen in a while.
Yeah, just from the trailer, it does look a little cartoonish. Too bad, a good cast. I think Ryan Gosling is good, too. I was watching that Oprah/Armstrong thing last night, and wondering how many screenwriters were rushing to their keyboards, and who could play the lead. Ryan Gosling was one guy I saw.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Gynn
Wandering worlds

Gynn has a spectacular aura
The trailer was unintentionally funny, at least for my audience. I think I'll wait for Netflix.
Gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
tpolen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

tpolen is on a distinguished road
We saw it last weekend - knew the reviews weren't very good, but we all enjoyed it. I agree Sean Penn is one of the best actors out there, but the facial prosthetics looked comic-bookish. Always Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fans - that girl is going places.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
BeatrixKiddo
Is it summer yet???

BeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I enjoyed it, but a friend told me the movie is completely inaccurate as far as actual history.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
playground
practical experience, FTW

playground is a shiny, shiny jewelplayground is a shiny, shiny jewel
I enjoyed the movie, but it was just average.
playground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
StevenHarvey1990
practical experience, FTW

StevenHarvey1990 is on a distinguished road
Was certainly engaging but like lefty23 said, it was a bit topsy turvy in tone and style. Cheap thrill.