Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
ap123
Twitching

ap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is there a market?

I have a short piece written fairy tale style (could be allegory, but I think that's a stretch). It tells the story of two little girls, but it's actually written for adults. Is there a market for this type of piece--or is it a moot point anyway, since it was posted on my blog?

Thanks

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.
ap123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Mr. Aziz
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mr. Aziz is on a distinguished road
Markets exist for everything, but one for that will be hard to find.

Like this one by Patrick Rothefuss for example to prove they exist:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures.../dp/0983613125

Unfortunately, most publishers want first publication rights, if it's on your blog, it's published and they won't take it.

However, since the piece I think you're referencing on your blog is around 630 words, anything else you write like it can be sold to Flash Fiction publishers if it stays below 1000 words.

I'll leave it to more experienced writers to provide suggestions.
Mr. Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
ap123
Twitching

ap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you for the info, Mr Aziz.

Yes, I think we're talking about the same piece. When I originally wrote it, it was intended as a "gift" for a friend, as a blog post. It's definitely outside of my usual style. Over time, I've gotten a lot of feedback from other medical needs parents, so I was thinking...

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Fairytales are fantasy, so usually you'd look for fantasy markets. Or if it's flash, any flash fiction market, as they're more likely to be multi-genre. But previously publishing it will reduce the number of markets you can try, to the point I think your time would be better spent writing something you don't intend to put on your blog.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
ap123
Twitching

Thanks for the info and the input, Polenth. I will put this idea away, and get back to my WIP instead.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
There are a couple fairy tale magazines (fairy tale review is the first that springs to mind) so that genre is marketable. However, publishing it on your blog pretty much makes it a moot point.
V1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Darkshore
Stranger

Darkshore has a spectacular auraDarkshore has a spectacular aura
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if your blog doesn't get a lot of traffic and you remove the piece of fiction and possibly revise it afterwords...I think you can bypass that bit about it being previously published. This just might be a little bit frowned upon though, but if I was the one buying the story as long as it could no longer be found online for free I wouldn't see the harm, but maybe I'm missing something.
Darkshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshore View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if your blog doesn't get a lot of traffic and you remove the piece of fiction and possibly revise it afterwords...I think you can bypass that bit about it being previously published. This just might be a little bit frowned upon though, but if I was the one buying the story as long as it could no longer be found online for free I wouldn't see the harm, but maybe I'm missing something.
Most places would consider a blog published, regardless of who saw it and whether it was still there. If they don't, you still need to tell them and let them decide. Deleting it and hoping they don't notice is not the way to go.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
WriterBN
practical experience, FTW

WriterBN has a spectacular aura
Also, even if you delete the post, it could remain in web archives for months, possibly years.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
ap123
Twitching

This is all why I asked first

I got quite a bit of action on that post, I believe one or two parents from special needs groups posted links.

I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that has been posted on the Web that can't be retrieved.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
I just had a short story accepted by a publisher, and the paper and ink book comes out this spring. The story is posted on my blog, and the publisher doesn't care. They were only concerned with print and ebook publishing. I also recently had an editor suggest I try magazines for short stories, as book publishers sometimes are interested in a story that did well in a periodical.

That said, my best advice is to simply mention that you once posted the story on your blog, and see if they actually care.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Leonardo Da Bunni is a chaptered book for early readers.
Join baby Leo as he discovers works of
art in the world around him.

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Tedium
Le sigh.

Tedium is on a distinguished road
I think you might be out of luck with that particular piece, unless a publisher will take a reprint, but I did want to let you and everyone else know that there are markets specifically for fairy tales.

http://www.fairytalereview.com/home.html

This one came to mind first, but I think there are a few others. I've been getting more into the genre recently and I have an anthology of modern fairy tales edited by Kate Bernheimer (the woman who started Fairy Tale Review) called My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales. It's a really good read with some excellent contributing authors. You should look into it.

Thought it might come in handy if you planned on writing anymore in the future.
Tedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Speculative magazines will occasionally do fairy tale issues. I think Penumbra did one last year, and Weird Tales' next issue is fairy tale-themed.

In my experience themed issues and anthologies like that do pop up with some frequency.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
tlotson
figuring it all out

tlotson is on a distinguished road
I think there's a market - if something is well written and touches you, chances are it will touch other people as well.
tlotson is offline   Reply With Quote