Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
Agent names

If an agent asks for a full and wants to know if any other agents are currently reading the manuscript, should I tell them the name of the agent and the agency? Or just say, yep, it's with another agent, but not say the name? I figured saying an actual name would be tacky, but wanted to make sure.

Can you tell I'm freaking out a little?

Thanks in advance!

The Starlights—gritty young adult (querying)

blog & twitter
folkchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
First up: congratulations! It's sounding really good.

I consider naming the agents and agencies to be a little bit tacky as well, so I just said "Two other agents currently have the full manuscript."

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Zombie Kat
Bacteria are your friends

Zombie Kat has a spectacular auraZombie Kat has a spectacular aura
Don't worry about names or agencies. Just say others are looking at the manuscript. They're probably only asking so they can prioritise what order to read submissions in.

And congrats on the requests!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You can either just say "yes," or tell them "X-number of agents are currently reading it." They're not asking to know their competition; they just want to know if they need to read faster.

Now, if you get an offer of representation and inform those reading, it's not uncommon for an agent to ask who the offering agent is. One, they want to know if you're getting scammed. If they know the name of the agency to be one that's less than stellar, they can warn you off. Two, you'd be surprised how many people will try and move their books up in queue by lying about having a quick offer of representation.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
EMaree and Zombie Kat, Thank you! Much appreciated.

blog & twitter
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
folkchick
Not a new kid

Cyia, thank you!

blog & twitter
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Now, if you get an offer of representation and inform those reading, it's not uncommon for an agent to ask who the offering agent is. One, they want to know if you're getting scammed. If they know the name of the agency to be one that's less than stellar, they can warn you off. Two, you'd be surprised how many people will try and move their books up in queue by lying about having a quick offer of representation.
Seconding this as well. I informed any agents I had queries or partials out with when I accepted my offer, and while most of them just sent a Congrats one or two did ask which agent and agency I'd signed with.

I suspect it was a) to make sure I wasn't getting scammed and possibly b) to see which other agents are busy building their lists. I can also hope for c) to keep track of my manuscript and buy it when it comes out, but that's just wishful thinking.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
folkchick
Not a new kid

Just wanted to thank each of you again for the advice, some of which will hopefully come in handy later on!

Can I just say how cool it is to have this problem? I am loving it. Of course, I know nothing may come of the request. Been there. But, yeah, it's nice to have this moment. Thank you again.

blog & twitter
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
EMaree
is drinking tea

It is super cool, folkchick! It's a good place to be in. Let us know how it goes, okay?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
folkchick
Not a new kid

I will. *Fingers permanently crossed with superglue for good luck*

blog & twitter
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
ElJeffe
figuring it all out

ElJeffe is on a distinguished road
Along similar lines, can I ask what's expected if an agent asks for an exclusive when making a partial or full request? I understand why they'd ask for that, and on the one hand I have no problem granting them an exclusive look if it shows I'm serious and eager to meet them halfway, but on the other hand I don't want the book tied up with a single agent for six months who may turn it down anyway.

Last time it happened, I sent him the pages and told him I would happily offer him a 1-month exclusive from the day he received the manuscript. (Discounting any other queries already sent to other agents, which may have included sample pages, of course.) He ended up declining representation in the end, and I assume it was probably not because my offer of one month was insultingly short, but is there sort of a standard period I should offer if this happens again?
ElJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
Mr. Anonymous
Just a guy with a pen & a delusion

Mr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ditto what others have said. Giving an actual name, aside from being tacky, could actually work against you. Publishing is a close knit industry, and a lot of agents know each other. An agent might not want to compete with a close friend for a client, for example. I imagine this is why a lot of agents who work at the same agency ask that you only submit to one of them at a time.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight- Greenwillow
TBA Novel - to be published by Greenwillow
BOOK LAUNCH!! & some thoughts
Mr. Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #13
folkchick
Not a new kid

Mr. Anonymous, that's something I hadn't considered. Thank you for the info.

blog & twitter
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
Good luck folkchick. Let us know what happens.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJeffe View Post
Along similar lines, can I ask what's expected if an agent asks for an exclusive when making a partial or full request? [snipped] is there sort of a standard period I should offer if this happens again?
A month is pretty standard. It's important to not to allow open-ended exclusives, for the reasons you explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anonymous View Post
Ditto what others have said. Giving an actual name, aside from being tacky, could actually work against you. Publishing is a close knit industry, and a lot of agents know each other. An agent might not want to compete with a close friend for a client, for example. I imagine this is why a lot of agents who work at the same agency ask that you only submit to one of them at a time.
Most agencies ask that you only submit to one agent at a time because they use interns or assistants to filter out the best submissions, and if people were sending the same manuscript to all five, ten or twenty agents at the agency it would increase the size of the slush pile, and the amount of time it took to work through it, by an unacceptable degree.

The thing about not wanting to compete with friends is sometimes an issue, but this request is made mostly to try to control the size of the slush pile.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #16
Mr. Anonymous
Just a guy with a pen & a delusion

Mr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
A month is pretty standard. It's important to not to allow open-ended exclusives, for the reasons you explain.

Most agencies ask that you only submit to one agent at a time because they use interns or assistants to filter out the best submissions, and if people were sending the same manuscript to all five, ten or twenty agents at the agency it would increase the size of the slush pile, and the amount of time it took to work through it, by an unacceptable degree.

The thing about not wanting to compete with friends is sometimes an issue, but this request is made mostly to try to control the size of the slush pile.
Ah, that makes sense.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight- Greenwillow
TBA Novel - to be published by Greenwillow
BOOK LAUNCH!! & some thoughts
Mr. Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote