Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Scripts, Stage, and Screen
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

gambit924 is on a distinguished road
Screenplay lit agents

So where is the best place to look for screenplay lit agents? I tried the Guide to Literary Agents for 2011, but they didn't have much. Any suggestions?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The little guy getting poked is worried he's going to get pushed into the troll's blade. But kitty will save him. Go go magic kitty!!!

Current WIP "Tears From the Skye" YA or NA science fantasy currently in the rough, rough stages.
gambit924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Melville
Reader first, writer second

Melville is on a distinguished road
Try IMDB Pro: you can get it for free for 2 weeks.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

Maybe. Are there any other suggestions?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The little guy getting poked is worried he's going to get pushed into the troll's blade. But kitty will save him. Go go magic kitty!!!

Current WIP "Tears From the Skye" YA or NA science fantasy currently in the rough, rough stages.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

Nobodies got any answers for me?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Melville
Reader first, writer second

Melville is on a distinguished road
Nope. Since HCD folded, that's your best source.

Or there's InkTip... or one of the query blaster services. You just had better have not only a stellar script but a brilliant query too. Getting a lit agent for a novel is a walk in the park compared to finding representation for a screenplay.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
From what I've been reading, you don't always need an agent - it depends on the production company. Some, like Apatow will ONLY respond to queries from agents and won't even open envelopes otherwise while others will take spec screenplays directly. Some screenwriters don't bother with agents at all since it can be as much work or more to find an agent that will represent you as it is a production company interested in your work. At least with the latter you're getting paid.

I'm still trying to get a logline crafted to start sending them off and keep setting it aside for that one piddling reason.

I'm just going by the Writers' Market I have from 2011 for now and then maybe try to find some on Linked in. All the advice I've read as well says to look for a mid-sized agency or production company. Big ones don't seek new writers and tiny ones won't get you work.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 90K - polishing
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

Okay, but for the most part the agencies in the "Writers Market" are reliable, right? How about the ones on the WGAW website. Those ae all reliable, right?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit924 View Post
Okay, but for the most part the agencies in the "Writers Market" are reliable, right? How about the ones on the WGAW website. Those ae all reliable, right?
They should be, I would think. Not so sure about WGAW but a google search of "company name + scams" ought to out the worst of them.

Along with the old, if it sounds too good to be true or they demand money in advance...

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 90K - polishing
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

Right, okay. Thank you. I'll look them up. I was thinking of going with Evotopia, but I'll check them out first.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
Panzypanz
banned as an incurable tosspot

Panzypanz is on a distinguished road
On wga's website they have a bunch of them. They have their addresses, and their phone numbers.
Panzypanz is offline   Reply With Quote