Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
beautiful letters
Kate got your tongue

beautiful letters is on a distinguished road
Is religion is the religion aspect in fantasy dangerous?

I realize that angels and daemons are fairly over used, but I find it a fascinating topic. The problem is I have twisted what exactly angels and daemons are, that they don't have to do with God and the Devil. I feel like if I took this road then I would be spitting in the faces of many religions, which is not my intention, I just want to write something different. What do you guys think? Should I drop this idea and brainstorm for more?
beautiful letters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful letters View Post
I realize that angels and daemons are fairly over used, but I find it a fascinating topic. The problem is I have twisted what exactly angels and daemons are, that they don't have to do with God and the Devil. I feel like if I took this road then I would be spitting in the faces of many religions, which is not my intention, I just want to write something different. What do you guys think? Should I drop this idea and brainstorm for more?
I can't imagine there'd be any problem with your idea. Angels and demons unconnected with current religions have been used in books ranging from Lois McMaster Bujold's "Curse of Chalion" to Jane Kindred's "House of Arkhangel'sk" series.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do it. Angels and demons need new spins on them at least as much as vampires and zombies do.

My favorite sci-if series ever uses angels and Christian imagery all over the place, but in-series they have nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity or their religious counterparts.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
lilyWhite
The Sinistral of Squee

lilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputation
Numerous works exist where writers give different takes on angels and demons.

After all, considering how various religions and cultures have different ideas of angels and demons, it's practically impossible to give any portrayal of angels or demons that doesn't go against any religions.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
beautiful letters
Kate got your tongue

It just makes me nervous because their origins are from earth not heaven.. its basically saying there is no "god" just different realms.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Wilde_at_heart
υπείκωphobe

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
No.

Just be sure you have a clear idea what you want them to be for your own story.

For some, angels are good and demons evil, but according to some religious beliefs they are the same thing, only the outcome of someone's interactions with them determines whether they were angelic or demonic. In some texts, angel simply means messenger...

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 78K - working on query letter
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
It just makes me nervous because their origins are from earth not heaven.. its basically saying there is no "god" just different realms.
Don't be nervous. Buffy the Vampire Slayer had scores of demons coming from all different kinds of dimensions. They even say that demons were the original race on earth. I grew up going to church and I never had a problem with any of it.

Go for it. Do what you want. ^_^

Works in Progress:

Dark Fantasy (YA) - NaNoWriMo Bound
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Wilde_at_heart
υπείκωphobe

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Why would that be so?

According to some Hindu scholars for instance, there is only one God, Brahman, but myriad manifestations of that God as different 'Gods'. Or you can take the more Kabbalistic view of the different realms as emanations from the original source of creation... In each, God is basically everywhere.

Maybe get a good book on mythology or comparative religion, which might allay some of your concerns.

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 78K - working on query letter
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
Quote:
I could say that the notion of good and evil spirits predates the Abrahamic religions.

I could say that in Judaism, they play almost no role at all, and that Christian angelology has some roots in Zoroastrianism.

I could say that some of the most successful genre fiction of the last thirty years has handled angels and demons in a less than theologically careful fashion (e.g. The Sandman.)

But none of that matters.

The bottom line is this: Everything you write is going to piss off somebody. People can be offended by Hallmark cards. If you let that stop you, you will never write. Your job isn't to worry that everyone feels warm and cosy; it's to write what you think you should write. Period.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
beautiful letters
Kate got your tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Ted View Post
I could say that the notion of good and evil spirits predates the Abrahamic religions.

I could say that in Judaism, they play almost no role at all, and that Christian angelology has some roots in Zoroastrianism.

I could say that some of the most successful genre fiction of the last thirty years has handled angels and demons in a less than theologically careful fashion (e.g. The Sandman.)

But none of that matters.

The bottom line is this: Everything you write is going to piss off somebody. People can be offended by Hallmark cards. If you let that stop you, you will never write. Your job isn't to worry that everyone feels warm and cosy; it's to write what you think you should write. Period.
Thank you for that
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Plus if you can get some organizations, religious or otherwise, to loudly and obnoxiously call for your banning, your sales should go up.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is there a "god" in your fictional universe? That's the only important question. That world is your world, not necessarily this one. Eh, some people might be bothered by that, but I wouldn't worry.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

The demons in my Megan Chase books weren't Devil-based either, specifically, and the angels in that world were Not Good Guys. Nobody complained.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
kenthepen
practical experience, FTW

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think the fundament issue here is self-editing as you write so as not to offend. I personally find that counter-productive to the creative process, but you need to define your own boundaries, i.e., whom you don't want to offend.

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Dryad

Dryad is on a distinguished road
I agree with Ted and Phaeal.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
I read something recently which said that the modern image of angels as winged humans was actually not based on the original Jewish descriptions which were more abstract beings that have more in common with the bizarre creations of HP Lovecraft (8 winged polyhedron shapes for example). So, apparently you do not have to dig too deep into real world religion to find something unique and interesting...

As for causing offense... I always take the Lincoln approach. You really cannot please all the people all of the time so why bother trying? Write what you enjoy and what you think people like you will enjoy. if you try to force your writing into a box you do not enjoy writing then it will show in the quality. Let a publisher worry about how to market it and handle any potential shitstorms from religious groups (and as stated these tend to increase sales significantly).

ETA: One place to look is Graphic novels. There are many of them (especially in DCs Vertigo line) which make use of angels and demons, often in very blasphemous ways. They range from the shocking (Garth Ennis's Preacher series which has an angel and a demon having sex) to the relatively respectful (Neil Gaiman's Sandman which sees them as powerful but potentially flawed beings).
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
I read something recently which said that the modern image of angels as winged humans was actually not based on the original Jewish descriptions which were more abstract beings that have more in common with the bizarre creations of HP Lovecraft (8 winged polyhedron shapes for example). So, apparently you do not have to dig too deep into real world religion to find something unique and interesting...
That. Sounds. Awesome.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #18
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
Quote:
The angels that appeared to Abraham and Lot in the Scriptures looked like men. The cherubim who were carved onto the Ark of the Covenant in the Book of Exodus are specifically described as having wings, and the seraphim mentioned in the visions of Book of Isaiah are described as having six wings.

The geometric shapes you mentioned may have appeared in one of the visions of the prophet Ezekiel, which are famous for their extreme imagery.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #19
TreeJet
lost in wild thought

TreeJet is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be nervous. If you offend someone with your writing concerning religious matters, its probably going to increase your sales.
TreeJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #20
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For me, I don't mind reading about various aspects of religion, so long as the writer is not preaching and pushing their agenda on me...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
Specialfae
Coffee understands

Specialfae is on a distinguished road
Angels and demons ARE fascinating, from all angles. I love a new spin or a 'I never thought of it that way' twist.

Never write solely to please others, you will fail every time. Write with passion and let the feathers, halos and horns fall where they may
Specialfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
rosehips
Mr. Boo is watching you.

rosehips has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
That. Sounds. Awesome.
FWIW, Madeline L'Engle wrote about a cherubim (a creature both singular and plural) with multiple eyes and wings in A Wind in the Door. You might like it.
Twitter
Amazon
B&N

The City Darkens
rosehips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeJet View Post
I wouldn't be nervous. If you offend someone with your writing concerning religious matters, its probably going to increase your sales.

Yeah...probably not, in and of itself.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
I know a lot of young writers, myself included, who thought up an awesome spin of angels and demons and then had a moment of worry about offending people (whether it's Christian friends, the local nice religious old people, parents, or just THE CHURCH dun dun duuun).

Just write the story. Most religous people don't find fantasy portrayals of angels and demons offensive.

Once the story's written you'll realise it was never as big a deal as you thought it was.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
If you have a link to that article, I'd love to read it. I've seen some art using more Lovecraftian concepts of angels, but I haven't been able to find the source for these versions.

Biblical angels are quite fascinating, and I like comparing the various angelic hierarchies, but some of my favourite depictions of heavenly creatures come from the Book of Enoch (lots of angels getting up to non-angelic things like sleeping with humans, and a detailed ranking system for angels) and Dante's Divine Comedy does a nice job of making Heaven, Hell and Purgatory feel like real, vividly depicted places.

(Hopefully it's clear that I'm looking at these materials from the point of view of a fantasy writer who enjoys using religious mythologies as inspiration. I'm not judging them on their religious merits, which is a whole other kettle of fish.)

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote