Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
RyGuySpeaksTheTruth
A voice for the Universe.

RyGuySpeaksTheTruth is on a distinguished road
Glad to be here. Not sure what's next, but it's about to get wordy...

Hello.

This is a cool site. It's rad to have the chance to meet some likeminded individuals and exchange ideas. The wisdom existing on these boards is apparent and I am eager to dig in.

A place to ask questions, seek advice, and cut through the nonsense is always welcomed in my world. I largely do not know how my involvement with AW will manifest itself, but my active participation will write that book. Give and take. Call and response.

I appreciate the concept of truth very much. So much so that it has become my sole constant offering. My beliefs in uncensored, yet kind, communication and sharing has evolved into an expectation of the same from others. The wonderful influence words can posses, when the situationally 'proper' choices to represent exactness of emotion are found, is quite calming. Inside that calm we find truth through deliberate word choice. Nice.

Searching through seas of synonyms soothes me. Calms me down. Allows for options, allows me to make an actual meaningful decision, allows for individual choice, and keeps me fresh. The choice and placement of a single word could affect an entire paragraph. Powerful stuff we get to play with as writers. Lol.

Within honesty exists "real." Sometimes "real" can be too much as it is bare, cuts deeply, and is not necessarily considered beautiful in the traditional sense. I consider my writing to be honest, which must then contain the rawness of the "real" that comes along. My writing becomes a true reflection of my essence, allowing readers to peer deep inside my existence. I have nothing to hide and that is partially why I write. To live in a glass house and be completely exposed frees my mind while allowing a pure signal flow to exist with the reader.

Connection.

Truth.

Words.

I'll be around. Posting. Reading. Commenting. Learning. Sharing. Thanks for getting this far!

Ryan

The Art of Finding Your Place. My spot for trying to explain some stuff about life.

Peace.

Last edited by RyGuySpeaksTheTruth; 01-16-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Quick fix in title.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
dfwtinman
Benefactor Member

dfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome Sir. A teacher once told me that I was overly enthralled with the exuberance of my own verbosity. Nice to meet a kindred spirit. *grin*

Marcel Proust
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
peloton
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

peloton is on a distinguished road
Welcome. I'm a newbie too, but one who happens to also enjoy "verbosity" and/or "wordiness."

Look around. Explore the site. There seems to be some very fine writing folks here.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
regdog
Kreon Starscream
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-Updated on 7/18/14 Food Allergies

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome and good luck.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome aboard

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Write_Askew
practical experience, FTW

Write_Askew is well-respected
Hi and welcome! Its always nice to see someone with so much energy and excitement. I'm sure you'll find there are tons of people here who share your passion and love of writing and communicating.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
wazzujim

wazzujim is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Cooler Ryan.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to the Cooler, Ryan.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Welcome to AbsoluteWrite.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Rockweaver

Rockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputation
welcome.
the give of using the entire English language is a truly lost art. i have on occasion used words that have fallen out of favor in the last century or so. if you wish to baffle the people around you find excuse to use words like churlish, and exasperating in your everyday chats.

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Growing old is required. Growing up not so much.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got to "eternal ether" and bailed.

Between dyslexia, being an old-school geek who spent a fair amount of time at Xerox . . .

I do not think that word means what he thinks.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome.

Quote:
Not sure what's next but it's about to get wordy.
Correct.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Kylabelle
not what you think
AW Moderator

Kylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome! I always appreciate enthusiasm. See you around the Cosmos.
Walk into the Mystery (blog updated July 18.)

Sloppy Joe's. Where we can be literate and not have to take flak for it. --s6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat
Let's just hit people with sticks.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Accebera

Accebera is well-respected
Welcome! =]

Stuff your eyes with wonder. -Ray Bradbury
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
Welcome from another Ryan.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 160K Revising
The Man in the Crystal Prison (Upper MG Fantasy): 4,000/75,000
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
RyGuySpeaksTheTruth

There is no bliss in ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
I got to "eternal ether" and bailed.

Between dyslexia, being an old-school geek who spent a fair amount of time at Xerox . . .

I do not think that word means what he thinks.
Wow. There is SO much wrong with this reply -please bear with me as you read on.

Damn. Not quite the welcome I would have expected from an admin. Hmmmm.

The first seven words AW Admin typed proved said admin's possession of an ignorance that a thousand page novel would struggle to convey. Oh, behold the powers of word choice and placement.

On its own, AWA's belief that I misused "ether" in the quoted context is ridiculous at best. If AWA had argued that ether and eternal are too close in definition, or the wrong parts of speech to be used as modifiers of the other, I may have listened. If AWA had pointed to a specific rule of grammar somehow disallowing the simultaneous existence of those two words within the same sentence, hey, who can argue with the rules? Unfortunately, AWA instead lashed out blindly at a newbie, potentially causing me to bail from the site and who knows what else.

My friend, I hope you realize that the entire premise of your comment was based on a lie. You based your comment on your false belief I misused "ether," and well bud, that just isn't the case. "Eternal ether" actually seems to be as fair a combination of words today as when initially shared. We could even flip them and sound all medieval - the "ether eternal" reminds of a foggy English battleground just after the fact. Fun to play around with order and meaning, but the fun was only temporary. Damn.

It is so frustrating repeating the same thing to people over and over, but once again...

Slow the fuck down.

Your immediate decision to bail on my thread for the reason stated is weak. Jumping on the forum and immediately calling me out on my perceived mistakes is still baffling. Something in your mind allowed an immediate change in your perception of me, due to your reaction of my supposed misuse of a word. This shift in perception allowed you to then completely 'pre-dismiss' everything I may say in the future as well, killing any chance of developing a true connection.

And my goodness, you posted your reply on the wrong thread even. The thoughts you quoted my words from were in a thread on the Water Cooler page, yet you posted your reply on the newbie page. Why did you do this? Either from ignorance or for malice I suppose, but darn it all, it just might be time to dust off the admin study guide.

So, public attack warrants public discussion in my eyes and I pose an open question to all members: How real would you like real to get? Can we have tact within honesty? What about discussing the 'actual' reasons that cause this admin, or anyone, to lash out in such confusing manners? Good stuff to pick your teeth to.

An admin's responsibilities ultimately extend beyond moderating and approving comments and such. Any viewable reply with the AW Admin name is essentially speaking for the entire staff/site. A bigger responsibility than it may seem, perhaps?

I only want to become a better writer, but a guy's gotta be cautious in the meantime. Especially when there is no one watching the watchers.

Word.

The Art of Finding Your Place. My spot for trying to explain some stuff about life.

Peace.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyGuySpeaksTheTruth View Post
Wow. There is SO much wrong with this reply -please bear with me as you read on.

Damn. Not quite the welcome I would have expected from an admin. Hmmmm.

The first seven words AW Admin typed proved said admin's possession of an ignorance that a thousand page novel would struggle to convey. Oh, behold the powers of word choice and placement.

On its own, AWA's belief that I misused "ether" in the quoted context is ridiculous at best. If AWA had argued that ether and eternal are too close in definition, or the wrong parts of speech to be used as modifiers of the other, I may have listened. If AWA had pointed to a specific rule of grammar somehow disallowing the simultaneous existence of those two words within the same sentence, hey, who can argue with the rules? Unfortunately, AWA instead lashed out blindly at a newbie, potentially causing me to bail from the site and who knows what else.

My friend, I hope you realize that the entire premise of your comment was based on a lie. You based your comment on your false belief I misused "ether," and well bud, that just isn't the case. "Eternal ether" actually seems to be as fair a combination of words today as when initially shared. We could even flip them and sound all medieval - the "ether eternal" reminds of a foggy English battleground just after the fact. Fun to play around with order and meaning, but the fun was only temporary. Damn.

It is so frustrating repeating the same thing to people over and over, but once again...

Slow the fuck down.

Your immediate decision to bail on my thread for the reason stated is weak. Jumping on the forum and immediately calling me out on my perceived mistakes is still baffling. Something in your mind allowed an immediate change in your perception of me, due to your reaction of my supposed misuse of a word. This shift in perception allowed you to then completely 'pre-dismiss' everything I may say in the future as well, killing any chance of developing a true connection.

And my goodness, you posted your reply on the wrong thread even. The thoughts you quoted my words from were in a thread on the Water Cooler page, yet you posted your reply on the newbie page. Why did you do this? Either from ignorance or for malice I suppose, but darn it all, it just might be time to dust off the admin study guide.

So, public attack warrants public discussion in my eyes and I pose an open question to all members: How real would you like real to get? Can we have tact within honesty? What about discussing the 'actual' reasons that cause this admin, or anyone, to lash out in such confusing manners? Good stuff to pick your teeth to.

An admin's responsibilities ultimately extend beyond moderating and approving comments and such. Any viewable reply with the AW Admin name is essentially speaking for the entire staff/site. A bigger responsibility than it may seem, perhaps?

I only want to become a better writer, but a guy's gotta be cautious in the meantime. Especially when there is no one watching the watchers.

Word.
Oh, my. Famous last words... Anybody bring popcorn?

Maryn, watching with interest

Last edited by Maryn; 01-16-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
RyGuySpeaksTheTruth

Thanks much. This oughta be interesting. So many words, so little time. See you around.

Peace.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh. My. Lord...

*Takes seat* I got extra, Maryn. sharezis?

Goodreads

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Generally you don't encourage relaxed and friendly engagement with a long angry rant.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, my.

Are you, like, serious?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
cray
thread stalker
SuperModerator

cray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
Generally you don't encourage relaxed and friendly engagement with a long angry rant.
exactly.

dude, you have 5 posts all of which come off as preachy 'i know more than you' BS.

you might take some time to get to know your audience first

.. especially the ones who you tell to 'slow the fuck down.'
Closed Thread