Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Georges Simenon

French writer (hence the plural 'Georges'; the French seem to have too many of them), prolific author of noir psychological mystery/dramas, most famous for a long series of detective novels featuring an Inspector Maigret. But he also wrote a galaxy of other short novels and novellas, of quietly dark nature, involving mainly ordinary people caught in events beyond their control, and trying to work things out.

Simenon lived a long time, seems to have been a very private man, and near the end of his life, announced publicly that he was done with writing, had accomplished all he wanted to, merci beaucoup, and proceeded quietly to die within a year or so.

I've been intrigued by what I've read about Simenon, and, being an inveterate browser of used bookstores, have acquired, very cheap, six or seven of his non-Maigret books.

Last night I started one: The Clockmaker, published 1955, English translation printed 1967. Set in the United States (I don't know if Simenon ever visited the U.S., but the feel of place is pretty good). It's about 120 pages, typical of much of his work. I read half of it last night, probably will finish it tonight.

This piece is written in omniscient POV, but an odd variant of it. Rather than simply provide information to the reader from the omniscient viewpoint, Simenon asks questions: Did the policeman know why the car was abandoned? Did Galloway (the main character) understand why his car was abandoned where it was? etc. And leaves the reader to consider the answer, which is never given.

I find the piece rather hypnotic, and will definitely read more of Simenon. I think the Maigret stories could be pretty interesting.

So, I wonder, who else here has read Georges Simenon's work, and if so, what are the thoughts about it?

caux
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
alleycat
Balance is the key to life.
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember the Maigret series when they were shown on PBS, but I don't think I ever read one of his books.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote