Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
allmywires
Rock-licker

allmywires is on a distinguished road
Have I written myself into a corner?

Not sure if this is the right place so feel free to move if not.

Long story short: I love football (soccer for you across the pond). I also love writing (duh). I wanted to write a book about something I loved and something that has never been done before (to my knowledge - at least not done to death) and so I wrote a book about a gay footballer. Now I'm starting to think my book has no market.

It's got too much football in for your average gay romance reader to put up with, and it's got too much gay stuff in for a heterosexual sports fan to read. Am I totally screwed? Or am I underestimating how much people are willing to read about stuff they don't know the ins-and-outs of (ie the football)?
allmywires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
cornflake
practical experience, FTW

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmywires View Post

Long story short: I love football (soccer for you across the pond). I also love writing (duh). I wanted to write a book about something I loved and something that has never been done before (to my knowledge - at least not done to death) and so I wrote a book about a gay footballer. Now I'm starting to think my book has no market.

It's got too much football in for your average gay romance reader to put up with, and it's got too much gay stuff in for a heterosexual sports fan to read. Am I totally screwed? Or am I underestimating how much people are willing to read about stuff they don't know the ins-and-outs of (ie the football)?
I'd wager it's been done, though likely not done a ton.

What you're underestimating is that people will read a good, well-written story, regardless of what it's about, kind of. Someone in a different thread mentioned Ender's Game.

If I asked you if you thought a lot of people would be interested in reading about a first-grader playing video games to fight bugs, what would you say?

It's also, just btw, been done with baseball - one of my fave books ever and I don't care about baseball or homosexuality on their own.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
sennydreadful
X-Box Fancier

sennydreadful is on a distinguished road
I would be tempted to say don't worry about the market, just write what you love; chances are someone else will love it too.
sennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
allmywires
Rock-licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
It's also, just btw, been done with baseball - one of my fave books ever and I don't care about baseball or homosexuality on their own.
Ooh, thanks ... might read that for a little research/comparison.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to AW, allmywires!

I'd say you've received pretty good advice from both cornflake and senny (Welcome to you too!). Don't worry about what's been done or who wants to read what. Write the story you need to tell as well as you possibly can. That's your job. All else is beside the point. As I said elsewhere recently...

Write the turd, polish the turd, submit the turd.

Learn it.
Know it.
Live it.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
allmywires
Rock-licker

thanks quickWit. Got to have a bit more faith I suppose.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Wilde_at_heart
υπείκωphobe

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
One could say the same thing about Indian girls playing footie but that didn't stop the writers of Bend it Like Beckham...

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 78K - working on query letter
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
cmi0616

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:

I know that The Art of Fielding made the best seller list last year. One of the MC's was a gay college baseball player who has an affair with the Dean of his school.

Secondly, is the final draft of the book written yet? It was unclear from your original post, but if that is not the case, focus first on the actual writing process. There is always a market for good writing.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
allmywires
Rock-licker

Yeah, it's written and redrafted, currently out at agencies at the moment. No luck so far, which is why I started the thread, really...wondering if it was my subject matter or not. I like to think it's good writing, but y'know, I'm blinded by my attachment to it. :p
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Yeah, it's written and redrafted, currently out at agencies at the moment. No luck so far, which is why I started the thread, really...wondering if it was my subject matter or not. I like to think it's good writing, but y'know, I'm blinded by my attachment to it. :p

Sometimes you don't get accepted by agents, not because your book is not good, but because it's not the type of story that the agent likes. It's not their cup of tea. What you have to do is continue to query. I've known about books that are best sellers today that have gotten hundreds upon hundreds of rejections before going anywhere. You never give up after a couple of rejections. Somebody's going to pick it up one day. Don't worry too much about it if the agent doesn't take his or her time to explain to you why they rejected your book. The day that an agent has 2 minutes to sit down and explain to you what the problems in your manuscript are, that's when you ought to consider rewriting your book with a totally-different plot. Don't give up. There is hope. I would still be querying after 100 rejections. If you don't believe me ask Stephen King.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
...written and redrafted...and edited and polished till it shone and was the best it could possibly be?

If so, just keep submitting it, and concentrate upon the next novel.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It'd be something I'd read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
...written and redrafted...and edited and polished till it shone and was the best it could possibly be?

If so, just keep submitting it, and concentrate upon the next novel.
I'd also suggest get your posts up to 50 and put your query through QLH and let the squirrels have a go at it.

Good luck!
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Write_Askew

Write_Askew is well-respected
Don't underestimate yourself or your plot. You're just fine. If you're really concerned about audience I suppose you could go check out the GLTBQ forum here, they might be able to help you out. (I can't remember its proper name at the moment...)

Personally, I'm gay and I have a lot of gay friends. I love any novels that have a wonderful gay protagonist I can root for. I don't care if they're weaving baskets, living in ancient China or playing football. A good character and a good novel will transcend those things. It will make me care about football, because the character cares.

I hope you have great success!
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Zach Lancer

Zach Lancer is well-respected
I think what you have to consider is exactly what kind of story you're telling on an emotional level, and build around that. If you can find the note that resonates with the audience, it doesn't matter what the actual setting is. I liked Brokeback Mountain, doesn't mean I'm interested in sheep herding as a subject. Of course it's a different story entirely if football is the subject and not the setting.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Write_Askew View Post
Don't underestimate yourself or your plot. You're just fine. If you're really concerned about audience I suppose you could go check out the GLTBQ forum here, they might be able to help you out. (I can't remember its proper name at the moment...)

Personally, I'm gay and I have a lot of gay friends. I love any novels that have a wonderful gay protagonist I can root for. I don't care if they're weaving baskets, living in ancient China or playing football. A good character and a good novel will transcend those things. It will make me care about football, because the character cares.

I hope you have great success!
I identified with this thread because I am writing an LGBTQ romance at the moment, and I'd like to show my support to the OP, let her know she's not alone and there are many of us who'd love to read her story. I love movies and novels about football players. Their life is interesting. Oh, and I love your avatar. That's beautiful.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
allmywires
Rock-licker

Thanks again everyone, having a bit of a rubbish few days at the mo (exams) so nice to hear some kind words I will post some stuff when I get to fifty but don't want to seem like an eager noob spamming, so maybe a bit longer than that