Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Ellaroni
a bookish one

Ellaroni is well-respected
Do you celebrate fictional birthdays?

The MC in my contemporary YA turned 18 on January 11th, so I had an extra bar of chocolate while revising. Almost felt as if I needed to wrap a gift too ;-)
Does anyone else celebrate the birthdays of their fictional characters? (I have one coming up in February too!)

Published:
SUPERMASSIVE - LGBT YA contemporary (Harmony Ink Press, July 2014)
Get it at Amazon* Barnes and Noble* Dreamspinner Press
Ellaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Violeta
All I Ever Wanted Was The World

Violeta is a shiny, shiny jewelVioleta is a shiny, shiny jewel
I don't know. I remember noticing it was my MC's birthday a while ago, but I didn't do anything special other than smile at the thought. I guess I'll get better with practice .
-WIP#1 - YA Sci-Fi - Second Draft- Writing-

-------------Get your premade covers here------------------
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
breaking_burgundy
Takiran Code Scholar

breaking_burgundy has a spectacular aura
I'm pretty sure my MC's birthday is August 5th. Not sure what year though.

Do I celebrate? Nah. I don't even know if her birthday's going to end up on the page.

Blogs are for people who have opinions, right?

I also tweet.
breaking_burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm really lazy. I don't celebrate them, but they've got to have them.

My MC's birthdays:

November 11th.
May 5th.
October 10th.
February 2nd.

Get it?
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
itsaplane
all the feels, ALL OF THEM

itsaplane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post
I'm really lazy. I don't celebrate them, but they've got to have them.

My MC's birthdays:

November 11th.
May 5th.
October 10th.
February 2nd.

Get it?
I GET IT.

I sometimes forget my MCs birthdays, oops. I don't celebrate them or anything.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't even know my MC's birthday. It's in October. That's all I know.

Well, gee, now I feel bad.

Works in Progress:

Whisper: YA Supernatural Horror (Outlining)

katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember my character's birthday,March 25,because it's one of my best friends bday as well.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
KateSmash
[Insert something witty here]

KateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolness
Characters are supposed to have birthdays?

Damn. *shuffles off to create calendars too ...*
KateSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I don't know my MC's birthday. I know it's sometime in the fall, but I still haven't picked out an exact date. I feel kind of guilty now...
strawberryblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
July 31st, Harry Potter's birthday. Always.

Edit: oh, this was about your own characters. The MC of my WIP is a Virgo. That's all I know.
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
mickeyDs4
practical experience, FTW

mickeyDs4 has a spectacular aura
I don't celebrate their birthdays because only twice in the course of the narrative have the birthdays actually come up.

Stormcreek Plantation: Rewrite!

Beauty Like Columbines: Editing!

Someday We'll Know: First draft

Silent Sonata: Rewrite!

Funny Thing About Memory: First draft

Jinx & Jinxability: First draft

"Jane Austen is the pinnacle to which all other authors aspire." J.K Rowling
mickeyDs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Tolstoyce
The glint of light on broken glass

Tolstoyce is on a distinguished road
...Yes. I used to actually make cake/treats for them...

Visit my blog, s'il vous plaÓt?
Follow me on Twitter!

Status of My Novels

The Hollow Between: Complete, editing
The Flames Within: Complete
The Pardoning (Working Title): WIP
Tolstoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #13
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSmash View Post
Ditto.

I had my MCs born in the winter, and in the second draft I discovered a character talking about their birthdays being in the summer. That showed I couldn't care less when they were born.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #14
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
I usually figure out when the character was born so I can skim the major headlines and bread/milk/egg prices when/where they were growing up, give them a sort of temporal place (the further back their birthdays go, the more attention I pay to this). I haven't celebrated the birthdays, though.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSmash View Post

Damn. *shuffles off to create calendars too ...*
Yah this. I don't even have exact dates, just seasons because of school and days of the week...because of school.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #16
Dorky

Dorky has a spectacular aura
Not at all. Neither my own characters or other characters get to have their birthdays celebrated by me.

I don’t give my characters birthday aside from pinpointing a certain season or month, just so I can keep track of their age as time goes on.
Dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Only my waifu's (see avatar).

I have no idea when my own characters' birthdays are.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
JustSarah

JustSarah is well-respected
Usually the only time their birthday comes up, is when I write my characters profiles. Which I've been kind of delayed with writing lately. (Research for setting.)

Flash Fiction
Knitted Cap -- NA Contemporary -- Complete

Poetry
Night Voices -- Unstressed Poetry
Untold Story -- Unstressed Poetry

My Smashwords
My Booksie
JustSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

gambit924 is on a distinguished road
The only fictional chars birthday I celebrate are Bilbo's and Frodo's on Sept. the 22nd. Yes I am a nerd, lol...
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The little guy getting poked is worried he's going to get pushed into the troll's blade. But kitty will save him. Go go magic kitty!!!

Current WIP "Tears From the Skye" YA or NA science fantasy currently in the rough, rough stages.
gambit924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Asuka Langley Soryu's birthday is December 4, for the curious.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebrown View Post
My friends and I did this for years. As for my own characters nope. More than half of them don't even have birthdays.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For various reasons I had my two FMCs in Partings and Greetings born in August and September (September 24th to be exact) of the same year, so that they would be very close in age but one (the one who isn't narrating) being a school year above the other. That's so they don't get to meet a year earlier, when the older one starts at sixth-form college - important as they've had a present boyfriend or former girlfriend (respectively) at the point where the novel starts.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 24,466 words and counting

Short fiction:

"The Girl on the Station Platform" - final version, 2333 words complete.
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Ellaroni
a bookish one

Ellaroni is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebrown View Post

Edit: oh, this was about your own characters. The MC of my WIP is a Virgo. That's all I know.
Any fictional character would count, I think!

Published:
SUPERMASSIVE - LGBT YA contemporary (Harmony Ink Press, July 2014)
Get it at Amazon* Barnes and Noble* Dreamspinner Press
Ellaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputation
I gave my MC my younger son's BD because it was convenient.

I don't celebrate it specially for her.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
Emmet Cameron

Emmet Cameron is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post
My MC's birthdays:

November 11th.
May 5th.
October 10th.
February 2nd.

Get it?
I DON'T GET IT BUT MY BIRTHDAY IS OCTOBER 10TH AND I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE BORN. THIS IS INFORMATION I AM GIVING YOU TO HELP AS RESEARCH OKAY GOOD.

Ahem.

Yeah, I generally know the month because that's important to keep track of things like whether they're older or younger amongst their classmates and whether they've been eligible for a learner's permit long enough to have their G1/G2/G yet, and how old they would have been if they discarded their virginity two summers ago, blah blah blah. If the date become significant in the text or in some random episode of the character's past/future that I secretly know even if it doesn't make it to the page, then I know the date. But generally, yeah, just the month.

Although I do like it when authors make specific dates significant in their texts and then readers latch onto that significance and recognise those dates when they come around IRL. Like January 10th in Looking For Alaska.
Emmet Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote