Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Diana Hignutt
Neo-Luddite & Anti-Corporatist

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
John Dies at the End

The adaptation of David Wong's mash-up of Lovecraft and Douglas Adams is crazy good. A new drug is in town, the kids call it soy sauce, and it gives out-of-body experiences like nobody's business, but it changes people, and it is an interdimensional invasion that can only be stopped by slackers Dave and John. Those are fake names. You should probably change yours too. I loved this movie. Go see it.

Clever and downright funny.

"Give me the courage to change things that others accept...and the wisdom to understand that everything changes..." - Diana's Anti-Serenity Prayer
Diana Hignutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Jess Haines
Boldly going nowhere in particular.

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
I loved the book, but I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. Possibly this weekend, if it's up on Netflix Instant.

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Forsaken by the Others: Coming July 2, 2013
Jess Haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I never read the novel, but the movie is a real whacked-out send-up of the horror genre and the acting is really good. Surprised to see Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor) in a very funny role and Paul Giametti is a standout, as always.

Were there any lizards in the book, Diana?
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The book is amazing.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Diana Hignutt

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
I never read the novel, but the movie is a real whacked-out send-up of the horror genre and the acting is really good. Surprised to see Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor) in a very funny role and Paul Giametti is a standout, as always.

Were there any lizards in the book, Diana?
Don't know. I have the book on order, it should arrive today. No lizards in the movie. The book's sequel is entitled, This Book is Full of Spiders, Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.

"Give me the courage to change things that others accept...and the wisdom to understand that everything changes..." - Diana's Anti-Serenity Prayer
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Diana Hignutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
The book is amazing.
I'm looking forward to it, very much.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
Don't know. I have the book on order, it should arrive today. No lizards in the movie. The book's sequel is entitled, This Book is Full of Spiders, Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It.
---

I'll have to take a run up to Umeda (central Osaka) one of these days. The local bookstore carries very few novels in English (mostly textbooks on TOIEC and whatnot) so I'll check it out, as well as its predecessor.

I sorta miss the lizards, though...
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
I read it and I can confirm that it is indeed full of spiders.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like fun.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Capeless
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Capeless is on a distinguished road
John Dies at the End was the last movie I watched in 2012, and it just so happened to be one of my favorites of 2012 also -- and probably my favorite comedy/horror ever.

It's that good. A solid 8.5 all around except for when they enter the portal to when they return. That section is only a 5.5

I plan to read the novel in the near future, which I've heard is even better.
Capeless is offline   Reply With Quote