Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
HFgal
Who wants a cup of tea?

HFgal is on a distinguished road
Saying your MS is "completed" in your query letter

Hi,
I'm recovering from my first day in Query Letter Hell, but one thing that came up in another person's thread was use of the word "completed". I have read that this is important to put in the letter so the agent knows you're done, and also read that it is a rookie move/unnecessary because why would you be querying if your MS wasn't completed.

Which do you, dear reader of this thread, think is correct?
HFgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Springs2
space opera-popcorn lover!

Springs2 is a shiny, shiny jewelSprings2 is a shiny, shiny jewel
You shouldn't query until it is, so it doesn't need stated imho.

Abendau's Child, book one of the Abendau trilogy, due for release Spring 2015 from Tickety-boo press.
Repped by Molly Ker Hawn, the Bent Agency.
Springs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There was a time when it seemed acceptable, maybe even wise, back when how and when to query was insider knowledge and hard to come by.

Now that it's easy to find out all about queries, it seems unnecessary and, to me, amateurish.

Maryn, no expert, just opinionated
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's not important, per se, but it doesn't hurt to include it. The main thing is not to query before the book is written (and rewritten and rewritten and polished and...). Agents will assume the manuscript is finished, so there's really only a problem if it isn't. To me, adding a single word to a query isn't going to hurt, assuming the query isn't overwritten to start with. It gives the agent that iota of assurance that the book is done, but not stating it explicitly isn't going to be a strike against you.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terie View Post
It's not important, per se, but it doesn't hurt to include it. The main thing is not to query before the book is written (and rewritten and rewritten and polished and...). Agents will assume the manuscript is finished, so it's really only a problem if it isn't. To me, adding a single word to a query isn't going to hurt, assuming the query isn't overwritten to start with. It gives the agent that iota of assurance that the book is done, but not stating it explicitly isn't going to be a strike against you.
This... I don't think it matters much one way or another. I don't put it in because it doesn't need to be there, and I understand the sentiment of paring down unnecessary words--perfectly valid and all--but it's not like an agent is going to reject you for writing "completed."
buzhidao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with Terie.

I doubt any agent is going to roll her eyes at the word "completed" and toss the query into the rejection pile...

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
quicklime
Seattle-bound?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
i leave it; I'm sure saying it is completed won't lead to an auto-reject, but if I'm trying to show I can master the language, superficial words and redundancies don't help set that impression, either.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
I wouldn't do it.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
At least 75% of the "Successful query letters" I have read on agent blogs have contained the phrase "is complete at XX,000 words."

I just checked my dream agent, Kristen Nelson's site, and of the seven letters she has listed as examples of how to write a good query letter, five contain that or similar wording.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd say it's understood and therefore, unecessary.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
mayqueen
practical experience, FTW

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't imagine it would matter one away or another. I've seen "Complete at XX,XXX words, MY NOVEL is [genre]" as a fairly standard part of a query. I put that as the closing line of my queries. Of course you should only query if you manuscript is done, but I don't think the presence or absence of the word "complete" determines that. In my opinion, you just don't want "My manuscript is complete and ready to send to you."
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
Considering how many agents on Twitter post that they get queries for incomplete books, I would say there is no harm at all in leaving it as long as it simple like, "complete at XX,XXX words..."
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I used "is complete at xxx,xxx words" in my (successful) query.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Many writers do this, and it isn't harmful, but it is somewhat amateurish. And as any editor or agent can tell you, it's no guarantee that the novel really is finished.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
HFgal
Who wants a cup of tea?

HFgal is on a distinguished road
Yeah, it's all sort of pretzel-logic-ish - if you have a word count, wouldn't it have to be completed for you to KNOW the word count? And yet you can have a word count and the word "completed" and that isn't a guarantee to the agent that is actually is completed.

Seems like there is not consensus on this, but the good news is that it doesn't seem like it's going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.
HFgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #16
MandyHubbard
Once Upon a Time....

MandyHubbard has a spectacular aura
I'll just confirm that a ton of my queries say "completed" and I don't notice either way. I always assume it's completed.

Do NOT say "recently completed"-- it sounds like you didn't revise at all.
MandyHubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just don't say something like "kind of completed".

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFgal View Post
if you have a word count, wouldn't it have to be completed for you to KNOW the word count?
That's the way I think, but there are plenty of people around here who have the little word count tickers in their sigs: "Untitled WiP: 1,340/90,000." Some people know what their target word count is before writing a single word.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Many writers do this, and it isn't harmful, but it is somewhat amateurish. And as any editor or agent can tell you, it's no guarantee that the novel really is finished.
For a writer with established publishing credits, it would be amateurish. For a ... well ... amateur it would say "Hey, I may not be established, but at least I know enough not to query until it's done." If you're going to show yourself as an amateur (and you'd better not pretend otherwise), you might as well appear to be an informed one.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #20
Krazykat
Positivilly Movillis . . .

Krazykat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Specifically stating that your manuscript is finished would clearly look amateurish. But as far as I can tell, the phrase "complete at xx,xxx words" has always been standard verbage, and I can't imagine anyone thinking it makes a writer look like an amateur.

Personally, I think "Awesome Title is a YA paranormal romance complete at 75,000 words" reads better than "Awesome Title is a 75,000-word YA paranormal romance", which sounds a tad clunky.

"The stories people tell have a way of taking care of them. If stories come to you, care for them." - Barry Holstun Lopez, from Crow and Weasel
Krazykat is offline   Reply With Quote