Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Editor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Question
Soon I will be invincible

Question is on a distinguished road
Some questions for substantive editors

When editing a book, do you do it with "don't bore the reader" in mind or "a good box should (x)" in mind?

They may seem like the same thing, but the first means leaving things as they are as long as they're interesting while the second means suggesting things based on how things "should" be.

For example, a book has an opening that involves more events than it needs to. It's interesting, and something that would keep a reader reading, but the story doesn't start in earnest until the next chapter. Would you leave it as it is, or would you suggest the author cut it? Why?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
When editing a book, do you do it with "don't bore the reader" in mind or "a good box should (x)" in mind?

They may seem like the same thing, but the first means leaving things as they are as long as they're interesting while the second means suggesting things based on how things "should" be.

For example, a book has an opening that involves more events than it needs to. It's interesting, and something that would keep a reader reading, but the story doesn't start in earnest until the next chapter. Would you leave it as it is, or would you suggest the author cut it? Why?
These are really questions without answers, and, I'd say, a false proposition. It's never one or the other.

Every editor I know goes with "don't bore the reader" at all times. This does not mean leaving things as they are just because they're interesting. If it can be improved, then improve it.

The sole aim of an editor is to help make the book better, more interesting, more entertaining, better written, etc.

But if the story doesn't start until chapter two, then chapter two should almost certainly start the book. Readers are interested in story and character. You generally don't have interesting until you have story and character.

Any needed information in chapter one can then be worked into the book as needed.

If there are more events than needed, then you cut the unneeded events. Why? because they aren't needed, of course. If you don't need an event, then you'll simply bore readers by including it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
Adding to what's above: If something is in the book, readers assume it's there for a reason. When they figure out it had no reason, they may be annoyed. Lots of stuff that isn't boring can be annoying. Don't annoy the reader is a really good rule. It keeps your book from being thrown across the room.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Mutive
Blissfully Clueless

Mutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not a substantive editor, so take what I say with a grain of salt but...

I think a lot of the reasons for the checklists is because in the vast majority of cases, the rules of thumb work.

A good editor should be able to say, "This is where this rule of thumb would apply" (versus "this is a good exception to a rule I'd usually apply".)

So I'm sure a lot use checklists - because I think it is helpful to ask things like, "How does this contribute to the novel as a whole? Where does it lie in the overall progression of the novel? How does it work with the given theme?" Because all of these are questions one *should* ask.
Mutive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Question
Soon I will be invincible

Question is on a distinguished road
Thanks a bunch
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Midian
My sarcasm got the better of me.

Midian has a spectacular auraMidian has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post

The majority of my clients are substantive. What you're asking isn't really answerable. Books are good for different reasons. What works for one won't necessarily be good for another. We're looking at what THAT book should do, not what all books should do. There is no secret formula; there is no "how things should be."

A good book should be...good. You don't go into any substantive project looking for anything other than good writing and a good story. If we don't find it, we look for what's holding it back, and how it can be fixed while playing to the writer's strengths.

Strong writing doesn't equate to strong story, and vice versa.

If the scene doesn't serve a purpose, then you have to be able to cut it. Each scene should be justifiable. An interesting chapter that serves no purpose is taking the word real estate from something else that could be equally interesting AND purposeful, but didn't get written. Every word is too important to spend word count on fluff. If you can write one interesting thing, you can write 200. Interesting writing is easy (lol, okay, maybe not for everyone, but if you can write ONE interesting thing, you can write another). You have to be able to put it all together as a cohesive story. If you don't, eventually the reader will notice its not going anywhere. Book, meet shelf.
I used to have a thing here that said the progress of my current WIPs. I removed them when the progress hadn't changed in two years.
Midian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Midian, I took the OP's use of "substantive" to imply that we were being asked advice on editing rather than copy editing. Not to suggest that this was a big project he was talking about. I might be wrong.

And what you said is entirely right, of course.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Midian
My sarcasm got the better of me.

Midian has a spectacular auraMidian has a spectacular aura
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
Midian, I took the OP's use of "substantive" to imply that we were being asked advice on editing rather than copy editing. Not to suggest that this was a big project he was talking about. I might be wrong.

And what you said is entirely right, of course.
Aaah, upon rereading, I think you are probably right. My bad. It does sound like it was just editing in general.
I used to have a thing here that said the progress of my current WIPs. I removed them when the progress hadn't changed in two years.
Midian is offline   Reply With Quote