Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
msd
practical experience, FTW

msd is on a distinguished road
How long did it take you to write your first novel?

I am working on my first novel and to make things more challenging, English is not my first language. I am writing part time and only on the weekends. I am almost 60,000 words into my first draft; I think it will be about 90,000 words when I am done.

At this rate I feel it will take me about 4 years to complete. Is this normal?

How long did it take you to write your first novel?

Wolfgang Riebe

Please forgive any spelling errors; English is not my first language.

msddivers.wix.com
msd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
There is no normal. I had a friend once that spent 7 years on her first novel, writing and editing and rewriting and revising.

Me, personally, I don't remember, probably a month, but it was too short and horrible. Longest it's taken me is 6 months.

Works in Progress:

Dark Fantasy (YA) - NaNoWriMo-ing
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Briony-zisaya
Punctuation and I don't get along

Briony-zisaya has a spectacular auraBriony-zisaya has a spectacular aura
It took me about 4 months to write my first so-called book.....and it's atrocious, truly. Subsequent works have taken longer because I spend more time doing research and working on my constant "show not tell" issues. Take as long as you need because it's never going to be perfect in the first draft, just tell your story the best you can and go from there.
The Dark Hand: just sitting there
Why say it in 10 words when I can say it in 50? Oh, wait...
"That's a nice way to put it. Almost makes me forget I've been running from a monster hell bent on my destruction for over a hundred years."
Briony-zisaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
L. Y.
\m/

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first took me eleven months to finish.

But don't worry about how long you take. Everyone writes at a different pace. The main thing is to keep writing.

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
keepcalmandwriteon
figuring it all out

keepcalmandwriteon is on a distinguished road
Its been two years since I started my wip and I still have approximately 30000 words to go. I haven't been very disciplined in my writing, but I'm working on it.

Best of luck to you
keepcalmandwriteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Fantasmac
chronically underwhelmed

Fantasmac is on a distinguished road
My first full-length novel took me six years, the second one year and the last about three months. I can only hope the trend continues.

Seriously, tho, there is no such thing as "normal". There are several books a year writers and a book a decade writers. As long as you're adding words, you're on the right track, I think.
Endgame (YA Contemporary) -- planning
塞翁失马焉知非福
君子一眼驷马难追
Fantasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
All of mine take just about over three months, maybe a little more after the pass-throughs and editing. Four is about tops. Now, that's going full steam every day--about eight hours a day.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of lightAshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of light
It took me 21 days to write my first novel, but that was just the first draft. The second took roughly the same plus a couple days I think.

The time it takes is different for everyone. Normal is such a restricting word.
AshleyEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
My first novel took me about nine months to write the first draft. I have since gotten to the point that I can usually knock out a novel in a month or so.

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 163K Revising
rwm4768 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
5 months on first novel. But I agree... there is no normal

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
My very first novel was written around 2005 and since I knew nothing about word count guidelines for debut authors, it rang in at about 219,000 words. It took me 2 months to finish.

I started a series in 2011, finished the first installment in 2 months time at 137,000 words, and the second installment in one month at 125,000 words.

Now I'm almost done with a novel I started writing by hand in Nov. 7, 2012 and I'm at page 1,199 of 1,400. I have no idea how many words I've written on that one.

I recently had my biggest achievement when it comes to writing a novel. I started it in Dec. 15, 2012 and finished it on Jan. 3, 2013, at 120,000 words. Now I am working on the second installment of that series and I'm at 7,568 words on that one.

My second WIP I'm working on, I did 30,000 words in 5 days, so I'd say I'm getting faster and faster at writing stories as time progresses. I no longer write 220k-word behemoths, though.

Chris.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
First novel took about 3 years. Maybe more.
Second novel took umm...I dunno, but I gave up on it.
Third novel took 29 days.

Write at the pace you're most comfortable with.
slhuang: Oh, hey, hippo -- can I just note here that apparently you were so pent up from writing a murder-free bewk that then you write a SHORT STORY and in the space of a few thousand words murdered ALL OF HUMANITY???

Twitter

Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first took me about eighteen months. It was awful. I've written another eleven since and now average 6-8 weeks for a first draft.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Springs2
space opera-popcorn lover!

Springs2 is a shiny, shiny jewelSprings2 is a shiny, shiny jewel
From first conception to now... 26 years. I periodically picked it up, tried, and went back to life instead. Since deciding, once and for all, I was going to learn to write the thing to the version it's in now (which is completed, but complicated by my insane decision to write a prequel, that might now become book one of the series), about 16 months. Mind, 12 of those months was taking the advice of an early beta and going somewhere that might teach me not just how to write, but how to tell a story. (I'm still learning.)

Abendau's Child, book one of the Abendau trilogy, due for release Spring 2015 from Tickety-boo press.
Springs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Exactly three weeks, but that's all the time I had. The agent needed it by then so the publisher could look at it in time to fill a slot, if they liked it.

Like most things, it takes as long to write a novel as you have time to do it.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first was that horrible mess I typed on a typewriter when I was 19. I think it took me three weeks or something. Probably two of the three weeks I was changing ribbons or trying to white stuff out. I never revised it, I thought it was so, so great. I actually submitted it to publishers, no agent, I didn't know about agents. I was totally, completely, utterly clueless.
My little blog: /i-cant-get-no/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Write_Askew

Write_Askew is well-respected
I wrote my first novel in about six months. But then it took three years to edit it into something worth reading. I gave it a break after that, and was not surprised when a year later I still thought there were major issues. I fixed those, took another six months with a beta and then when it was better, I submitted it to agents. It did not get picked up. I love the dang thing, but I still (two years later) want to make it something its not. I've moved on, and I wrote my most recent novel in about a month. But it took months of editing to make it worthy of a submission.

Do your best, take your time, and love what you're doing. Writing something worthwhile will take time. Don't rush your work. Keep after it, and you'll finish it when you're supposed to.

Good luck!
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Lost World
He'll NEVER fit in!

Lost World has a spectacular aura
My first novel was a whopping 330K fantasy epic. Big mistake starting there. The first half is horrible, the second half not so bad--I'd learned along the way how to write. It was POD published as a two-volume set, but I pulled it off the market years ago. The first draft took me eighteen months to write and an equal time to revise. I was married at the time, however, with a pissed-off yet accomodating wife who handled most of the day-to-day affairs around the house. No children then and I had lots of time.

It took me six months to write my second novel, 85K words. Written almost entirely during afternoons before I went to work at night (my kids and significant other take up my weekends). When I get on a project it obsesses me, and takes its toll as well. I finished the revisions last summer and haven't written a word since, save for synopsis and queries for this novel and several other short stories.

"Are you finding self-importance in the things that you've done?
You're finding out that no one really cares."
The Guess Who
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
itsmary
have faith, restart

itsmary is on a distinguished road
It took me a few weeks, maybe a month or two, to finish the first draft. Then I spent several more months (maybe even a year) tinkering with it before I finally gave up. My second novel took a few months for the first draft and several more years of rewrites. My third novel took two years to complete (with first draft and revisions). My fourth (and most recent) took about a year.
Don't stress if you can't finish quickly. As you continue writing and learning, you'll learn how to pace yourself as well as little things that help you write more efficiently. And if you ever want to be published...well, trying to gett published is the ultimate lesson in patience.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
The first draft I completed took me at least four years, although a good proportion of that was in the final year. Its plot also underwent significant metamorphosis over that time, so I think it was kind of necessary for it to take that long.

However, I almost (almost! rats) finished a second first draft just a month and a half later, thanks to NaNo and my self-competitive spirit. So just because the first project takes a long time doesn't mean subsequent ones have to!

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
ucf612

ucf612 is well-respected
Well the first one I ever started is still not done (I started it in 2010). I'll finish it someday! I actually still really like the story but I hit a point where I really need to map out the rest of the story before I finish because it needs more layering.

First one I finished from first word to 'the end' took one month. I did NaNoWriMo. It needs a lot of editing and I haven't done that yet. I'm still writing my 3rd novel now, I'm a few thousand words from the end and then I'll start really revising it. I think it needs the least work of all so I'm going to work on it first then move back to the other two. So anyhow, that was a long answer that didn't tell you much.
MG Future WIP - P.R.A.E. - Planning
ucf612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
first draft - 6 months.
By the time I trunked it after 4 drafts, it had been 1.5 yrs, although there were 3 months in there in which I didn't touch it because I was writing the first draft of novel #2.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Wilde_at_heart
υπείκωphobe

Wilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthoodWilde_at_heart is a candidate for sainthood
I never finished my first, second, third, forth or even fifth novel. I forget what number I'm at now, but have completed my first draft and am halfway through the second and should be ready by the middle of the month for when I begin querying agents. It took a month to write.

I see all the previous works as practice and honing my skills. I will go back and finish some of the others once I'm done with this current project.
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
Hiroko
Which of them was the machine?

Hiroko is well-respected
Somewhere between 10-12 months. I think I have the file somewhere, but I am too lazy to check.
Hiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
Lost World
He'll NEVER fit in!

Lost World has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde_at_heart View Post
I never finished my first, second, third, forth or even fifth novel.
I have two that I never finished as well. Thanks for the reminder!

"Are you finding self-importance in the things that you've done?
You're finding out that no one really cares."
The Guess Who
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote