Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Parkinsonsd
practical experience, FTW

Parkinsonsd has earned our admirationParkinsonsd has earned our admirationParkinsonsd has earned our admirationParkinsonsd has earned our admiration
MS Word Novel Formatting Issue

I'm using Microsoft word, and I know I'm supposed to have a header on each page, one inch margins and will somehow end up with 25 double spaced lines of text per page in courier (not including the header. 26 if you include the header, I guess).

I'm not. I'm getting 24 lines per page. I've got to reduce the upper margin to .8 inches and the lower to .75 to get 25 lines per page.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Parkinsonsd; 01-06-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Haven't had my coffee yet.
Parkinsonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... my own convoluted solution would probably be something like reducing the line spacing from double to "1.9," which would be indistinguishable from the former and it'd be enough to add one extra line per page. Then again, .8 is close enough to an inch and .75 is close enough, too, so you might just leave things as are. Editors and agents aren't going to be getting out rulers and measuring your margins. But I can relate to your wanting your ms to look as sharp as possible even so.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
snowbones
Banned for Spamming

snowbones is on a distinguished road
set the line height to excactly (whatever) points until you get it like you want.
snowbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Y'know, I've never actually checked the lines-per-page of my standard formatted manuscript.

Managed to get those lines using a blank document with double-spaced Courier New and a header, though. What are your Paragraph spacing settings at the moment? Make sure it's at 0pt before and after.
Hibernating: DIVIDE THE SKY (YA UF), THE LEVIATHAN RISES (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Old Hack
Catching up with the news
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think it makes much of a difference to receiving agents or editors if you have the wrong number of lines on a page. But if you still are worried, check that you're not adding extra spaces at the beginning or end of each paragraph, as suggested above, and then alter the headers and footers slightly to suit.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote