Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Bri Perkins
Sockpuppet

Bri Perkins is on a distinguished road
What font are books printed in?

Manuscripts are preferred to be written in Serif fonts like Courier and Times New Roman, I hear, though I've never seen an actual printed book in Courier. What font are novels commonly printed in?
Bri Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think there is a set font although I could well be wrong.

For what it's worth, why do you ask?

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I've never seen a standardized typeface either.

But I do write and prefer editing in courier new, I find it easier to tear apart, but by no means would I read it for pleasure.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 01-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Bri Perkins
Sockpuppet

Bri Perkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
I don't think there is a set font although I could well be wrong.

For what it's worth, why do you ask?
While I was working on my novel today, it was just a random thought that popped into my head.
Bri Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Corinne Duyvis
My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
I'm pretty sure people choose the font on a book-by-book basis, though it wouldn't surprise me if books by certain imprints used the same font. For examples, mass market paperbacks in a certain genre or... I'm honestly not sure, but there's definitely no One Font to Rule Them All or anything.

I do know that Amulet Books (a YA imprint with VERY GOOD TASTE... I mean... ahem) has a page at the back of their books describing the font they use. So maybe pick up some of those and flick through.

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There is a fairly large category of fonts that are known as book faces, but the type chosen for a particular book has a lot to do with aesthetics and with cost; some fonts are tighter than others and save space (and paper); some fonts are easier to read in small sizes, etc.

But common book faces for body text include Garamond, Palatine, Bookman, Janson, Optima . . . there are many others.

There are also fashion issues; typefaces go in and out of fashion, especially in the digital era.

Many books today still have a colophon, a section that is typically on the very last page but may sometimes be in the frontmatter, wherein the typefaces and sizes and leading, the book designer and the editor and typesetter and publisher will be named.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri Perkins View Post
Manuscripts are preferred to be written in Serif fonts like Courier and Times New Roman, I hear, though I've never seen an actual printed book in Courier. What font are novels commonly printed in?
There are several typefaces suitable for books. Times New Roman, Arial, and Courier are NOT suitable, and lead to eye fatigue and inattention in short order.

I prefer Bookman Old Style or Book Antigua, both of which were included with my Word 2000 package. Try printing a page of text in TNR and Bookman and see the difference. Include a few italics and bolds to get the full idea.

Line and paragraph spacing also affects the appearance of a font.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of lightAshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of light
Based off lessons in typography, which vary a bit, but they tend to agree on blocks of text. For a blocks of text online studies have proven sans serif fonts are easier to read, ie Verdana or Arial. For blocks of texts in print serif fonts are better, ie TNR and Palatino.
AshleyEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyEpidemic View Post
Based off lessons in typography, which vary a bit, but they tend to agree on blocks of text. For a blocks of text online studies have proven sans serif fonts are easier to read, ie Verdana or Arial. For blocks of texts in print serif fonts are better, ie TNR and Palatino.
Correct on the preferred uses of serif and non-serif fonts, but you'll look long and hard to find a commercially-produced book set in TNR. Even newspapers, which gave birth to it, have largely abandoned that font. It's much harder on the eyes than Garamond or the other fonts mentioned by Medievalist.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of lightAshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Correct on the preferred uses of serif and non-serif fonts, but you'll look long and hard to find a commercially-produced book set in TNR. Even newspapers, which gave birth to it, have largely abandoned that font. It's much harder on the eyes than Garamond or the other fonts mentioned by Medievalist.

caw
Of course, I was just giving examples people would likely know.
AshleyEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post

caw
Five years ago TNR was pretty common in genre fiction.

Right now, I'm seeing lots of Caslon.

Janson is still favored for books that need to be set really tightly; I first met Janson when it was used for setting the longer books in The Modern Library.

I had to use it to set Les Mise, and found it very frustrating because it was so very very tight. I've not used it since for anything.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote