Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Schilcote
practical experience, FTW

Schilcote is on a distinguished road
Need some voice actors!

I'm doing a big project for my Media I class, and I need some voice talent. You don't have to be super-mega-pro, but a decent-quality (I heartily recommend Plantronics brand products- they're cheap and good) microphone is a must. It's a 2.5 minute long video with a two page script, so you won't be saying too much.

Anyone interested?
Schilcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Booker

Booker has a spectacular auraBooker has a spectacular aura
I've got a perfect voice for damning the governments and politicians and crooked lawyers if it counts!?

But whats in it for me?

Last edited by Booker; 01-06-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: gahhh
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Schilcote

A copy of the finished product?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilcote View Post
A copy of the finished product?

email it to me
Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Schilcote

I would, but if it were already finished I wouldn't need voice actors.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Booker

Ok then, send the script
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
druid12000
You're out of your tree...

Location: The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans...
druid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What kind of voice are you looking for?

I can sing like Jim Morrison but I can't speak like James Earl Jones.
" My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'
druid12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Schilcote

While having James Earl Jones on hand would be nice, I'll settle for "not grating".

And even if your voice is grating, I need a voice for the crazy computer.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
patskywriter

patskywriter is a shiny, shiny jewelpatskywriter is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've done some voiceover and audio book work but my voice might be unsuitable for your project. In order to get the most appropriate voices, why not list the emotions that will be expressed by each character. For example, "crazy computer," "overbearing matriarch," "whiny brat," etc.

Publisher of the Durham Skywriter, Durham, NC, USA's online community paper

Host of Radio Skywriter and TV Skywriter

Currently working on a manual for caregivers of Alzheimer's patients
patskywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sadly, I'd only be appropriate for "awkward speaker who sniffles often". Best of luck in finding (other, better) people!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ha! Fun I have crap equipment for any sound, so I'm out, unless someone wants to mail me a mic

But it reminds me of a friend I have who does sound for Hollywood as a career. His Facebook status will often say things like, 'Can anyone out there do an excellent Daffy Duck reciting Shakespeare? Send me a file, ASAP!'

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have a few years of radio production in my history. So, from that POV --

Can you give us some character descriptions for what you need?

How many male/female?
Older/younger, educated/refined/speech "impediments"/regional/national dialects/English as a second language?

Also, what format do you want the audio files to arrive in? Is there a program (Audacity, CoolEdit, Goldwave, ProTools) you are planning to mix in?

The more you've visualized and defined what you're looking for the less work you'll have to do in post-
production. (And the more likely the project is to end up being all that you wanted it to be.)

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Schilcote

All the characters are pretty generic, really. 2 and a half minutes isn't all that much time to do heavy characterization.

Going to do any audio processing in Audacity, then splice it into the video with Adobe Premiere. MP3 ought to do the job formatwise.

The list of characters, from memory (don't have the script on-hand right now):

2 scouts, who exposit and then die
1 commander, who gives a speech
2 soldiers, one who yells for backup, another who throws a bomb (both die also).
1 crazy computer, who explodes.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
Nekko
New motto: more purr, less hiss

Location: Do you know where the middle of nowhere is? Four miles past that
Nekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've recorded audio-books for my husband. I have a decent mic. I'm game!
Are you just asking for audio? (Are you supplying the video separately?)

--jjdebenedictis

Me on FB
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
Schilcote

Yup, the film is CGI.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #16
Nekko
New motto: more purr, less hiss

Location: Do you know where the middle of nowhere is? Four miles past that
Nekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay, let me know if you can use my voice, (female BTW)

--jjdebenedictis

Me on FB
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Civic
Isosceles Triangle Expert

Civic is on a distinguished road
Sounds like fun. I'd be interested if you need another male.
Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Schilcote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
Sounds like fun. I'd be interested if you need another male.
The little side-bar says you're from Australia- do you have the accent? Might be good for one of the team leaders.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Civic
Isosceles Triangle Expert

Civic is on a distinguished road
I speak regularly to Americans and Canadians on the net and they say I have an accent, so I think so? I can put on a thick Aussie accent anyway.

Oi crikey, that's a fair dinkem rinky dink Aussie accent that is!
Civic is offline   Reply With Quote