Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Question Spinoff: Casting your characters = pantsers?

I would like to know how many of the people that DO cast their characters (with models/actors/actresses) are pantsers/do NOT write outlines?

I wonder if we do this to have at least SOMEthing that is an anchor (besides the plot and junk) to the story. If I do not know what is going to happen to this character, at least I know exactly what she looks like.

Does this make ANY sense?
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I cast my characters - but not at the start. When I've got a handle on the character I see someone who looks like them and use it.

So to begin with I have no idea what they look like - that comes out as I write them.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pfft!

Bunch of pantsing weirdos...
Get off my lawn!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickWit View Post
Pfft!

Get off my lawn!

Put your pants back on. Freak!

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're not the boss of me.

*adjusts thong*
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
I will sometimes look for a photo or actor as the characters pop up in the story. It helps me picture facial expressions and action scenes (such as fights). But I don't immediately scour the internet for them, only if I'm having some difficulty in picturing them (at any given point).
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Pfft!

Get off my lawn!

Have you SEEN your avatar?!?
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I absolutely have an actor or character in mind for most of the characters I write. It helps nail down a particular voice for them.

Quote:
Pfft!

Get off my lawn!

1 - no rabbit in a moustache, pasties, and a thong gets to call me weird.

2 - never tell me where you put those quarters from the dog.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Marniy
Tastes like happy

Marniy is on a distinguished road
Ooh I cast when I create new characters.

I outline and do write ups of character motivations and conflicts.
But my outline isn't exhaustive- It usually amounts to a time line, conflicts, themes, and stray ideas about the story. About 5 pages in total.

So I guess, I'm a plotter- but not slavishly devoted to it. If a better idea for a plot point comes up- I work it in and update the outline.
Marniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
I'm a wingman and I never cast my characters.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
Moralis
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Moralis is on a distinguished road
I have always outlined my stories to death and never cast any characters. Until Nano 2012.
A movie gave me the inspiration for my novel so I had most of my characters cast from the beginning. I had almost everything to start writing a novel, except the plot. I decided I would pants this year.

So yeah. I plot without casting. And when I cast, I don't plot.
Moralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
Linda Adams
Soldier, Storyteller

Linda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Junk can get into my story without any effort whatsoever. However, I don't cast my characters. They come into the story, and that's who they are.

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark
Linda Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I tend to cast, but I'm also more of a pantsliner, than a full-fledged pantser or outliner.

It's an interesting question, though.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a pantser and don't "cast my characters" in my original fiction. For fanfic, that's one thing--the characters are already there and come with actors. But for original fiction, I tried it once and discovered that it completely restricted how I could think of them, so that book died and I've never tried it again.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
L.Blake
Soaking up information.

L.Blake is on a distinguished road
I don't cast, I make everything up as I go.

L.
Monstre 42,746
L.Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a panster, and I don't cast my characters.
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I never outline but I cast my characters by using real people and, usually, changing the names.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Reziac
Resident Alien

Reziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
I absolutely have an actor or character in mind for most of the characters I write. It helps nail down a particular voice for them.
I have one character who was very loosely based on a MLB pitcher. Looks and sounds like him, but there it ends. One of his acquaintances was based on an NFL kicker, and is rather closer to the original (tho even more crazy!)

And my MC ... I've known him for over 20 years. I know how he looks, acts, sounds. Then along came an actor who is Just Right in terms of mannerisms and delivery... and doesn't look much like my MC. This ruined my own picture of him!

*sigh*
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
thethinker42
Abnormal Romance Author

thethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I outline my own books (loosely and vaguely) and cast the characters.

When I write with one of my co-authors, we don't outline and don't cast the characters.

My other co-author and I cast the characters, and have a sort of vague outline (we know the conflict and what we believe will be the resolution, but we aren't entirely sure how we'll get there).

AW Library: Lauren Gallagher * L. A. Witt

In-Progress:
Lead Me Not - 80,105 / 100,000
The Saint's Wife - 53,321 / 60,000

The Walls of Troy
- Available 10/07!
thethinker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a pantser (mostly--I've started plotting a bit more recently, but almost never with a proper "outline"), and I cast some of my characters, but not all of them. And if, during the course of the story, they take on different characteristics than I first envisioned, they get recast.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
I sometimes 'base' my characters on real people, who I really know, but I don't cast them. (If by that it means I have an actor, celebrity or public figure in mind as to how the character appears, talks, behaves, etc.)

My characters sort of appear to me as I write them. I get to know them like my MC and other characters do: bit by bit as they talk, walk and do stuff.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #22
SJNew
figuring it all out

SJNew is on a distinguished road
I absolutely have to have an outline (both for the plot and the characters) before I can write anything. I never intentionally cast my characters - though admittedly, some ideas I've had have emerged from fantasies regarding certain people (no, not those kind of fantasies), or from crossover ideas, so sometimes a certain famous face might start out as my hero/heroine(s) but they inevitably change as the idea deepens into an actual proper plot.

Sometimes, though, as I'm writing/outlining, the more I get to know a character, the clearer their appearance becomes, and sometimes that has been someone famous. I can certainly see why some are reticent about 'casting' characters, especially with famous people, but I figure, so long as it's just their face and not their public persona that clags to the character while I'm writing them, it's not a problem. After all, even if I envisage a particular person playing my hero, doesn't necessarily mean someone reading the finished product won't see someone totally different.
SJNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
Cornelius Gault
New writer since 07/2012.

Cornelius Gault is well-respected
Not a good model, since I have only been writing since July 2012, but I found someone similar to my characters on Wikipedia or Google. I created simple character profiles based on real people and situations (which I later modified to fit the story), parents, children, locations, dates, etc. I pulled pictures from Google of how I imagined the characters might look. However, much of what I put in the character profiles never makes it into the story, unless there is a good reason for it (and to avoid Info-Dumping).

I don't use an outline, per se, but create a basic one-level chapter list in Word using Heading levels, which I later add to and change as I develop those sections.
#1: Murder-Mystery Elements (142K words) from 01/2013-PRESENT (on-going)
#2. Detective 12 Parallel Novel (48K words) from 02/2013-PRESENT (rebooting).
#3: The Gault Legacy (10K words) (shelved).
#4: Story Elements (31K words) (shelved).

--- as of 01/16/2014 ---
Cornelius Gault is offline   Reply With Quote