Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
Approaching an agent with a different genre

This is a ways off for me, as you can see from my sig, but I'm curious as to how others would approach this.

Last year a well respected and very experienced agent contacted me via my blog to ask if I had any plans to write a memoir (they're hugely popular in Australia at the moment), and that if I ever did, she'd love to read a few chapters. I was thrilled to hear from her, but although I like reading memoir I'm not planning to write one of my own.

My fiction WIP is very much around the same subject matter as my blog. Obviously it's a long way from completed, but when/if it comes time to query it, this agent is one I would have approached anyway due to her reputation and expertise.

Being that she's shown an interest in my work already, but in a different genre, and we've had a few minor connections since then (tweeting and LinkedIn, mostly), how would I query her? "I didn't write the stuff you asked about, but I did do THIS and it's not that dissimilar." or start as though we don't have an existing relationship?

Edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned that she does represent the genre I'm writing in, it's just not the same as the original reason she approached me.

Twitter | Blog

Last edited by Anna Spargo-Ryan; 01-04-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Anna Spargo-Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Always make sure the agent represents the genre you want to submit.

If the agent asked about memoirs and you want to submit a historical fiction, she may not represent that genre.

Me, I would send her a little note, asking what other genre's she is interested in and if she replies with that which you want to submit, then send her another note asking if you could send her a query.

When you do, keep it professional, leaving out the chit chat stuff from previous conversations...

But others may have different opinions so do whatever you think works for you...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for your thoughts She does represent the genre I'm writing in (mainstream fiction with a women's fiction bent). Your idea is a good one - a little familiar, but still professional. Thank you!

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just tell her simply and honestly. But do let her know she inquired.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see no problem in doing so. Agents want good writers, and she's clearly impressed by your work.

First, though, you might want to do a little research and find out if she's a good agent, and if there are others you'd prefer to work with. You might find that there are better agents out there for you.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote