Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Stormhawk
Angry Bunny Girl

Stormhawk is a shiny, shiny jewelStormhawk is a shiny, shiny jewel
Broken neck?

I'm just wondering how far you have to fall to break your neck and die.

This is the scenario: Man A is standing with his hands stretched above his hands and Woman B is doing a hand stand on his palms (kind like circus trickery/Cirque du Soleil stuff). I'm just wondering if he takes a step back, or they're unbalanced for whatever reason, if she falls and lands on her head, if that would be enough to kill her.

(He's six feet, standing, plus whatever reach his hands would have above his head).

An urban fantasy serial for geeks.
Stormhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
Yes she could absolutely die if she falls the wrong way on her neck. Even a fall from a short distance can be fatal.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Stormhawk
Angry Bunny Girl

Awesome, thanks. (Well, not awesome for her, but you know what I mean).

Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeVarden View Post
Yes she could absolutely die if she falls the wrong way on her neck. Even a fall from a short distance can be fatal.

This.

It's all about how you land, rather than how far you fall. And bear in mind that just because you break your neck it doesn't mean you will die. Some people can break their neck and not realise - this is actually more dangerous as you can do serious damage.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Stormhawk
Angry Bunny Girl

Oh, I know they're not all fatal, I just needed to know if it *could* be fatal, so that I'm not operating entirely outside the realm of logic.

My back up plan was to have him accidentally stab her. >_>

Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
French Maiden
practical experience, FTW

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
It's how you land, where the break is.
My brother was in a car accident (I know different scenario) broke his neck at C2 and is 100% mine can walk etc.

It all depends where the break is, how severe it is, angle at which they fall etc.
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If she falls on to the top of her head, neck compression could be fatal, couldn't it?

Or if she falls straight down but her chin goes down onto her chest, she would hit more towards the back of her head and that could well snap her spinal cord.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
melindamusil
practical experience, FTW

melindamusil has a spectacular aura
It is ALL in how you land, as the other posters have said. You could fall from a standing position and break your neck (or hip/leg/arm), but there's also stories of people falling from several stories up and walking away with just a few scratches.

Plus another thing to consider is the state of the falling body - i.e. Grandma who has osteoporosis is more likely to break a bone than her elite athletic grandson. There are a variety of other possibilities besides osteoporosis that can affect younger people - if your "woman b" is a gymnast, maybe she isn't eating enough and has vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Or maybe she just has a mild/undiagnosed genetic disease. Lotsa possibilities.
melindamusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Bri Perkins
Sockpuppet

Bri Perkins is on a distinguished road
Even from a short distance, you can break your neck if you land at the right - or should I say, wrong - angle.
Bri Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Hankleton
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Hankleton is on a distinguished road
Exactly. Think about diving into a shallow pool. Might only be 4 foot or so deep, but if you the wrong way it can be fatal.
Hankleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
An Arena Football League player died on the field from a broken neck a couple of years ago after colliding with another player in a pretty unviolent, innocuous event. A routine play, just hit his head (in a helmet) at exactly the wrong angle. Doesn't take much force, in such a circumstance.

caw