Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputation
Help me brainstorm a name

I need a name for a secret society that seeks to control magic in the modern world.

Think of a Torchwood/Watchers Council/Warehouse 13 type group who knows magic exists though most of the world denies it. They want to control artifacts or people capable of wielding other-wordly energies. If it's magic, they want it. The group is based in Rome and for centuries has been keeping magic under wraps.

Right now, I'm using "The Arcanum" as a placeholder, and that name has gotten stuck in my mind. Every time I try to think of something new, it turns into a variation on "Arcanum."

Help me, fellow writers. You're my only hope!

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Capstone. After all, they want to put a cap on it.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
alleycat
I've fallen and I can't get up.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One suggestion: go to an online English to Latin translator and key in some words related to the story or secret societies. Then play around with the Latin words.

Or use something based on an ancient myth related to magic. For example only: the Telchines (or Telchinati, if you can accept a purely made up word).

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Capstone. After all, they want to put a cap on it.
Loves it.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
One suggestion: go to an online English to Latin translator and key in some words related to the story or secret societies. Then play around with the Latin words.
This is how I'd do it, too.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
CAMueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart has a golden reputationWilde_at_heart has a golden reputationWilde_at_heart has a golden reputationWilde_at_heart has a golden reputationWilde_at_heart has a golden reputationWilde_at_heart has a golden reputation
How about the Nicaeans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 119K
Daphne vs the Demoness 89K - polishing
The Human Resources Experiment, 92K, re-thinking halfway through...

Last edited by Wilde_at_heart; 01-15-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote