Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Chiquita Banana
practical experience, FTW

Chiquita Banana is well-respected
What's the most romantic thing you've ever experienced?

Happy new year all!

I'm musing on blog post topics for the tail end of my book tour, and I thought it would be fun to do one on real life love stories. If you wouldn't mind sharing your romantic experiences, I'd be super grateful. :-)

And also if you would include some kind of way to credit you, that would be great: Jane from Sydney, John from South Dakota or something. No need to use real info. You could make up a name if you want.

Thanks in advance!

Chiq

Unmasking Maya on Amazon

Fashioning a Romance on Amazon

Espresso Macchiato, a FREE short story on Smashwords

My Blog
Chiquita Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Cath
Rawr
AW Moderator

Cath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To clarify, are you expecting people to write and submit the stories, or do you plan to interview them?

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
Wilfred Owen in a letter home.
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Chiquita Banana

Chiquita Banana is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath View Post
To clarify, are you expecting people to write and submit the stories, or do you plan to interview them?
Hi Cath. I thought people might just post little tidbits I could use - not stories really, just little 1-2 sentence responses. That's okay though. I went ahead and wrote a post about a real life romantic hero from my past.

Unmasking Maya on Amazon

Fashioning a Romance on Amazon

Espresso Macchiato, a FREE short story on Smashwords

My Blog
Chiquita Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Parkinsonsd

Parkinsonsd has earned our admirationParkinsonsd has earned our admirationParkinsonsd has earned our admirationParkinsonsd has earned our admiration
I spent an evening in the back of my pickup listening to an Eddie Money tape eating Hostess blueberry pies and drinking champagne. My arm was around the most wonderful woman I've ever known, and we watched shooting stars flash across the crystal clear night sky. The pies were her idea.

Parkinsonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The first step onto the tarmac at the Oakland, California, airport, upon disembarking from the Army-chartered plane that brought me back from the Republic of Vietnam, 1 July 1970.

caw
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband all but crushing my hand when his oncologist told him he was in remission. My hand hurt for days, and every twinge reminded me that we once again had a shot at a long life together.

So far, so good.

Maryn, happily married
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In high school, my girlfriend had a rough home life. I wrote her bedtime stories every night, so she could sleep more easily. Sometimes she would just read them as I wrote them over IM. Sometimes I would read them to her over the phone. They all were usually 1,000+ words each, all ending happily ever after.

We broke up in college, but I still have all of those stories saved as text files. Over a hundred of them.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Night in Montana. I was in my pjs watching tv in some cheesy little motel. My husband had gone out for a ride. He came back, told me he had to show me something. What about my pjs? Nobody will see, he said. Wait, I need my coat. He said he'd keep me warm.

He started driving, turned right onto a mountain road, drove a few minutes, then he slowed the car. Pulled over. This is it, he said. We both got out. He stood behind me, wrapped his arms around me.

Whispered, Look up.
I see the booze taking over, words start sliding together and she’s saying you and Albert can’t accuse him of doing something horrible like that, Albert’s making it up how can you even say that, you boys are driving me nuts, what’s wrong with you people can’t you just stop for chrissake no wonder I—
She don’t finish it. She don’t have to.
/my little blog/

Last edited by kkbe; 01-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Brutal Mustang
Loves interplanetary chaos.

Brutal Mustang leaves trails of profuse coolnessBrutal Mustang leaves trails of profuse coolnessBrutal Mustang leaves trails of profuse coolnessBrutal Mustang leaves trails of profuse coolnessBrutal Mustang leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
Whispered, Look up.
And?

The 'rules' of writing equally constrain you. They force you to build upwards,
and be magnificent, instead of excavating all over the damn dirt with the worms.

Brutal Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Mustang View Post
And?

Last edited by kkbe; 01-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
KEEP IT CLEAN, WOMAN.

I'm Chinese-Indonesian. When my now-hubs and I were still dating, we got into a huge fight and I yelled, "You're not serious about us!"

He gaped at me for a bit and then said, "Ask me a mathematical problem."

"What's 27 times 15?"

"Okay something simpler."

"What's 27 plus 15?"

And, hesitantly, mangling the words, he said, "Empat puluh dua."

Turns out he'd been secretly learning Indonesian for me.

(Of course, he totally gave up a few months later. Until now the only things he can say in Indo are "I have a red car" and "I have two chickens", neither of which he has.)
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
"I have a red car" and "I have two chickens", neither of which he has
Maybe that's what he aspires to

I guess the most traditionally romantic thing I've ever experienced was Mr C sourcing a Claddagh ring from an Irish jeweller's just outside of the village my family come from in Co.Galway and having the words 'Is tú mo ghrá' inscribed on the inside. He bought it because I wanted to send my wedding ring away to be cleaned, and I don't have any replacement rings to wear (I don't really wear jewellery.)

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
aixsponsa
This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour

aixsponsa is well-respected
My husband proposed to me on top of the tallest mountain in New Mexico at sunset. Then we celebrated at IHOP. Lol
aixsponsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Chasing the Horizon
Creepy Centipede

Chasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
In high school, my girlfriend had a rough home life. I wrote her bedtime stories every night, so she could sleep more easily. Sometimes she would just read them as I wrote them over IM. Sometimes I would read them to her over the phone. They all were usually 1,000+ words each, all ending happily ever after.

We broke up in college, but I still have all of those stories saved as text files. Over a hundred of them.
Wow. That's both amazingly creative and incredibly sweet.

My ex was in a bad situation too and I used to read him stories and poems over the phone because he liked to hear my voice, but they were all either not mine or stuff I'd written at other times and was just reading off the screen.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
I haven't really had any romantic relationships, and I hope this doesn't sound creepy, but this thread made me think of holding my father's hand in the car after I got back from the Peace Corps, and singing "Dream a Little Dream" with him.
He'd never been a touchy feely kind of dad, so it made me realize he must have missed me.
His hands were so calloused they felt like they had been carved out of wood. He kept repeating the song, so we could keep singing it, even though neither of us can sing (it was his favorite song).
He died unexpectedly a few months later so I guess that's why the memory is so vivid.

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a somewhat smutty fantasy novella)
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
Maybe that's what he aspires to
The red car I won't mind so much. The chickens...as long as they're featherless and nicely packaged so as to be ready for the oven (this is the natural diet of hippos), then I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
I guess the most traditionally romantic thing I've ever experienced was Mr C sourcing a Claddagh ring from an Irish jeweller's just outside of the village my family come from in Co.Galway and having the words 'Is tú mo ghrá' inscribed on the inside. He bought it because I wanted to send my wedding ring away to be cleaned, and I don't have any replacement rings to wear (I don't really wear jewellery.)
Is it a habit of his to get you beautiful replacements while the original item is sent away to be cleaned? 'Cause if that's the case, you should start sending clothes away to be dry-cleaned and letting him know...

Seriously though, that is really sweet!
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote