Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
September
my word processor

September is on a distinguished road
Does self-pubbing poetry hurt chances of having fiction traditionally published?

I have heard that self-publishing can make it harder to become traditionally published later. Does this still hold true if you've self-published poetry and then try to get fiction traditionally published?
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It can be difficult to re-publish the same work commercially (the first rights having been used already) but even so, it's not impossible, and it's mattering less than it used to.

But self-publishing poetry shouldn't really influence your success / failure to publish another work later unless you're the sort of author who becomes notoriously offensive or something like that.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Last edited by Medievalist; 01-01-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've self-pubbed my haiku and haven't had any problems....
Sheryl Nantus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
September, please read the guidelines: it's trade publishing, not traditional. Thanks.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
I have heard that self-publishing can make it harder to become traditionally published later. Does this still hold true if you've self-published poetry and then try to get fiction traditionally published?

No.

All that counts is the manuscript that's on the editor's desk.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
christwriter
Resistance is Everything

christwriter is a shiny, shiny jewelchristwriter is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
No.

All that counts is the manuscript that's on the editor's desk.
I'd heard differently. Janet Reid in particular has said that if you have poor sales on a self-published work, it'll be harder to sell an editor on a different, unpublished work. I think this is the blog post I read on that:

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/...-questiom.html

That was the post was one of the reasons I gave up on trade publishing as an option. When I started self-publishing I had thought I could try trade again a couple years later, but when I read that blog post I came to the understanding that unless I was massively successful, that door was pretty much permanently closed.

I mean, if I couldn't do it when my record was clean, why should I think I could pull it off now?
christwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Christwriter, the OP asked if self publishing poetry would make it more difficult for her to then sell fiction to a trade house:

Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
In the blog post that you linked to, Ms Reid writes,

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with publishing shorter works on Amazon first, but it's not some sort of golden ticket to a big-ass book deal.
I don't think that clashes at all with what's been written here: what will matter will be the book on submission.

Remember that Amazon doesn't share sales figures, so it's impossible for agents and editors to find out how many copies a Kindle edition has sold (although their Amazon ranking will give a rough indication), whereas the sales of print editions are much easier to track. As most self publishing focusses now on electronic editions, agents might well find it impossible to find out those sales numbers.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote