Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Totally Self-Indulgent Reflections on 2012 blah blah blah. . .

As we stand on the cusp of a new year blah blah blah. . .

I'm revising this post. Feel free to read or not read, respond or not respond. I have an insatiable urge to thank some people and say some stuff.

I wrote CHERRY this year. Best damn thing I ever wrote, and I owe that in large part to people here who read the thing in whole or part and gave me such great advice: Sohalt, Resasi, Overwined, K. Trian, Buzhidao, Jim Clark-Dawe, Quicklime, ElijahSydney, WillSauger, Lyxdeslic, Foley, who did I forget? Oh, CharacterInWhite has it, so does T. Trian.

How do I thank you guys?

Thinking about the people here who've consistently and generously given their time and expertise to the rest of us: Jim-Clark Dawe, JanDarby, Jaligard, Quick, Stacia Kane, I can't begin to name them all, why did I try?

What about Putputt, Lyx, Foley, mccardey. . . everybody who gave me encouragement and/or a swift kick in the ass, who helped me wade through the crap and laugh and cry and rip my heart out. . .

What can I say?

I beta read novels written by jcd and lyx. How cool is that?

I met Steve Hamilton. He wrote The Lock Artist. He read my stuff. How amazing is that?

I've written stuff I'm really proud of, and stuff I truly regret. I'm really sorry, you two. You know who you are.

I'm saying "stuff" a lot.

GINGERSNAP, aka, Insanity Personified, will likely never see the light of day, but as I reflect back on 2012, I think it only apropos that I end this with an excerpt, and so I shall. . .
Quote:
In the course of our lives, we change who we are many times over: year-to-year, month-to-month, even day-to-day. Our lives can turn on a dime. A single experience—no matter how spectacular or mundane—can change who we are, what we are, in seconds.

How do we comprehend the vast complexity of our lives? How do we mark and measure a lifetime molded and sullied by not just our experiences, but by the human experience?

This is what we do, out of necessity: we forego telescope for microscope. Through that lens, the ‘whole’ of our lives is reduced to finite snippets—our memories—which are pinpoints of experience along the continuum of our lifetimes.

Our memories mark who we were, are, and will one day become. We examine, mark and measure our lives through our memories, those snippets of experience, and that is what this novel is, and all novels, and films, paintings, songs, poetry, dance—

They’re all just snippets of experience: points of light on the endless continuum of that thing we call Life; just tiny bright lights that ask us to spare a moment and consider them for what they are; asking us to pay our dime, and enjoy the show.
Happy New Year, everybody.
“I don’t know and I don’t care.”
“How come them handcuffs was out?”
“Never mind how come.” I’m getting madder by the second.
“Do you think Mom—”
“Just shut it, all right? I don’t feel like talking.”
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.:
Louise Docker

Last edited by kkbe; 01-02-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Revised to reflect my extreme self-indulgence!!
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I moved to France.

Thank you, France. Je t'adore.

mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I successfully worked deeper into insanity.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I bought a house!

Well, I will have bought a house, in several decades. But I get to live in it now! *happydance*
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aww, what a sweet post, kkbe. Except I no longer feel special, so pffbtt. Can't believe you wrote CHERRY in less than a year btw, it reads like you've honed it over a period of years and yeaaaaars.
Hur hur.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I adore my little Putputt.
“I don’t know and I don’t care.”
“How come them handcuffs was out?”
“Never mind how come.” I’m getting madder by the second.
“Do you think Mom—”
“Just shut it, all right? I don’t feel like talking.”
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.:
Louise Docker

kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
I adore my little Putputt.
Yaay! I accept this adoration without shame!
Hur hur.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
calieber
Couth barbarian

calieber is a shiny, shiny jewelcalieber is a shiny, shiny jewel
Except for the actual finishing anything part, 2012 was my most productive writing year yet. And I'm going to work on beating that in 2013.

Projects for 2014:
Redo from start Those who Favor Fire
calieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm trying to come to terms with how I feel about this past year.

I moved to a new apartment- I owe a lot to my parents for that. I didn't realize what a toll my last place had on me. It was a little dark box. And now I have sunshine and a pond out back. My kitty even has a better life.

But I didn't achieve what I wanted. And I'm almost feeling like... why bother. I feel like nothing I ever write comes out like I want it to, and after 10 years, I still haven't edited something to submission ready-level. So many times I've edited something and thought it was ready to go, only to go back and think I must have fallen on my head.

I hope this feeling passes very soon.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Susan Anwin
deep blue electric angel

Susan Anwin is on a distinguished road
Workwise it was shit, I didnt have a job for months and lived from my bf's money. I don't wish that upon anyone.

But, I had my 1st English language publication in November, a flashfic selected into an anthology from 800+ entries so that was pretty awesome
Susan Anwin is offline   Reply With Quote