Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Nonfiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Arcadia Divine
practical experience, FTW

Arcadia Divine has a spectacular auraArcadia Divine has a spectacular aura
Good creative nonfiction craft books or articles?

Just out of curiousity, are there any good creative nonfiction books out there that deal with the craft? The only book I've really ever found is one by writer's digest but I didn't get that due to the reviews I read on amazon. Also, are there any good articles out there about the craft of creative nonfiction?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Writing Life Stories by Bill Roorbach is excellent. While its primary focus is memoir, it also deals with personal essays and other narrative forms.

Your Life As Story by Tristine Rainer is also about memoir writing primarily. However, it has a good section about how to organize your material, which would be equally applicable to other forms of narrative nonfiction.

Hope that's the sort of thing you were looking for.

If it's not, and what you want is more ruminative, try The Mind of the Maker by Dorothy Sayers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
gettingby
practical experience, FTW

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
This isn't a book or an article, but their is a piece of outstanding creative nonfiction in the winter issue of Ploughshares called Unsaid by Gretchen Henderson. I think reading good stuff can help you write good stuff. The how-to books can only offer so much.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Sunnyside
On to the next one.

Sunnyside has a spectacular auraSunnyside has a spectacular aura
I highly recommend William Zinsser's On Writing Well. There's a reason it's been perpetually in print for more than three decades now. It's a genuinely warm book that'll get you excited about writing nonfiction, rather than casting doubt on your ability, as I find happens with some "how to" guides.

Washington Irving (Arcade, 2008)
Jim Henson: The Biography (Ballantine, 2013)

"An absolute must-read!" -- Neil Patrick Harris
"Illuminating." -- The Atlantic
"Insightful." -- Parade
"An exhaustive work that is never exhausting." -- The New York Times
"Highly readable." -- Wall Street Journal
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Wandererer
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Wandererer is on a distinguished road
I took a CNF class last year and we used "Tell it Slant" by Miller and Paolo which I thought was pretty decent for an instructional book. It has some good ideas for practice essays in each chapter, and even if you just do a couple you may find it helpful. I found myself suddenly writing about things I had never considered writing about before. We also used "Short Takes"

http://www.amazon.com/Short-Takes-En...dp/0393326004/

Which I found the best instruction of all. By reading it carefully you can learn for yourself what works and what doesn't, at least for you. I still pull it out regularly.
Wandererer is offline   Reply With Quote