Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
mackandblues
figuring it all out

mackandblues is on a distinguished road
Crossfit anyone?

Anyone here do Crossfit and really like it? I'm doing some research for my next book. Thanks!
mackandblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
mayqueen
practical experience, FTW

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't do CrossFit, but I do power lifting. What sort of information are you looking for?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Elhrrah
Summon Bigger Fish

Elhrrah is on a distinguished road
Among the exercise physiology and biomechanics people I know, Crossfit has a horrible reputation. The problem with it, as it has been described to me, is the fact that it places a greater priority on the number of reps completed than the form maintained during those reps.

A prime example of this is the prevalence of kipping pullups in Crossfit programs, where participants are encouraged to kick their legs (to 'kip') so as to lessen the upper-body strain. The problem with this is that it actually places greater strain on one's joints, which isn't really a good thing.

I've also seen a fair number of Crossfit videos where people use improper form in benching (bouncing the bar), squatting (knees too far forward), deadlifting (rounded backs), and the like.

I hope that helps!
Elhrrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
rainsmom
Feeling like an old timer

rainsmom is a glorious beacon of lightrainsmom is a glorious beacon of lightrainsmom is a glorious beacon of light
Depends on your coach. A good coach won't allow the bad form. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Crossfit rocks!

Click for Joy!
Click for Joy!
Sunshine Books, 2003
Winner "Best Training/Behavior Book 2003" by Dog Writers of America

WIP: Doubting River (est. completion 2014)
Winner mainstream category of "The Sandy" literary contest, 2010

Blog: A Plotter's Guide to Novel Writing
Twitter: @M_C_Alexander
rainsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
melindamusil
practical experience, FTW

melindamusil has a spectacular auramelindamusil has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom View Post
Depends on your coach. A good coach won't allow the bad form. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Crossfit rocks!
I read a review/editorial about crossfit awhile back that says their problem is not requiring enough training for the coaches. According to this writer, the coaches trained in Crossfit's early years predominantly already had additional fitness training and experience, so they tended to emphasize doing the movements with proper form. As Crossfit grew in popularity, though, the newer coaches didn't have that experience. Those coaches did not encourage correct form, thus causing injuries and giving Crossfit a bad name.
melindamusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm a parkour instructor who has had some contact with Crossfit gyms. One allows us to use their equipment and whatnot, and we've done demo's/crossovers with them. I've also assisted during another instructor's Crossfit/Parkour/Natural Movement seminar.

I have not enjoyed the mentality I see at Crossfit gyms. There's a lot of competition and dick swinging going on, and far too many of the guys think "jerk" and "snatch" jokes are funny enough to put on their T-shirts. I see a lot more arrogance there than in parkour groups, and bragging is encouraged in at least some groups - one gym that I've visited has a giant whiteboard where everyone is encouraged to brag about their latest accomplishments.

The participants do seem to be in good physical shape, for the most part. They bulk up well and their bulk is more functional than I've seen out of more typical weightlifters. I'm sure people's experiences will vary from gym to gym, and from participant to participant, though.

Sorry I can't be of more help or answer your original question more directly. If you ever want any info on parkour let me know.

Acoustic guitar. This is absolutely beautiful: https://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/s...sis-in-spheres
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote