Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
A.Fox
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

A.Fox is on a distinguished road
Post Culture Research

I wish to try and aquire either a site about other cultures or some cultural encyclopedias to help me research other cultures for writing purposes...anyone here got some recommendations?
A.Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
kuwisdelu
It's the curse of Eva.

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Which cultures? There's no such thing as a "cultural encyclopedia."
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
lbender
practical experience, FTW

lbender is a shiny, shiny jewellbender is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Which cultures? There's no such thing as a "cultural encyclopedia."

This...and what do you mean by 'acquire'? Do you wish to take it over, or just get info from it?
lbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune is a glorious beacon of lightKing Neptune is a glorious beacon of lightKing Neptune is a glorious beacon of light
That idea of a "cultural encyclopedia" is interesting. There probably would be a market for it.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Cath
Rawr
AW Moderator

Cath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You'll need to be a lot more specific to get an answer here.

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
Wilfred Owen in a letter home.
Cath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
benluby

benluby is well-respected
This is a lot like saying I have food. What is the best way to prepare it?
We need a lot more information to provide any assistance.
benluby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
ironmikezero

ironmikezero is a glorious beacon of lightironmikezero is a glorious beacon of lightironmikezero is a glorious beacon of light
The dearth of specificity in your question suggests that you might want to start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_anthropology

That may help to point you in your intended direction... Best of luck!
ironmikezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
L.C. Blackwell
Keeper of Fort Blanket

L.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputation
Alex, I know you don't want special treatment, just be aware that the Aspergers is going to cause you some problems communicating in here, and you'll have to be patient with yourself and us.

Culture is such a big subject that it's not usually covered by one book or set of books. The closest thing I can think of would be at your local library in the children's or young readers' area--there are often series written for youngsters that discuss countries or cultures in a basic way. For example, when I wanted to read about Finland, I found a series of books that included Finland, Sweden, Norway, etc.

That's only the beginning however, and how much research you'll do depends on how deeply you want to study into a specific culture.

Best wishes, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.

-JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit
L.C. Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
A.Fox

Alright then, currently I'm intending to learn more about Afghanistan...largely so that (partially for fanfiction reasons and plans I have for the future) I can expand on the characterization of the X-Men character Dust (one of my favorite characters in the series too) so if anyone here would happen to know of a website or book I can use to research this I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
L.C. Blackwell
Keeper of Fort Blanket

L.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputation
For a website, you can start with the CIA's World Factbook here:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/af.html

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.

-JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit
Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
A.Fox

Thanks...now,do you know any books that could help me?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
L.C. Blackwell
Keeper of Fort Blanket

Not right in my mind. That's why I'm suggesting a trip to your local library if you can do that. Librarians know the books they have and are great at making suggestions.

-JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admiration
http://www.culturegrams.com/

These are four page snippets that give a good very basic knowledge of many cultures. My edition is from 1995. I bought it when I was teaching English as a Second Language. You never knew where your next student might be from and you had no time to research every country extensively. Sometimes you had less than a day's notice of a new arrival. I hope they help.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote