Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Goals and Accomplishments
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
My first round of querying :)

I was so pleased I was asked for full manuscripts on my first round of querying. I rarely celebrate myself like this, but I thought I'd post it here as an end of year event. (Unfortunately I saw the thread about Laura's four offers of rep, which kind of minimized my own woo-hoo, but ah well...)
So I submitted to about 10 agents in Canada, some of whom I had met before. I got 3 requests for fulls. Then I started submitting to American agents before Christmas and got another request. I haven't heard back from many of these agents, so I don't know if they passed or haven't looked at it yet.
But it has felt good to see that people are taking notice of my stuff. I know it's still a leap before getting an agent, but I will enjoy this feeling
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
haunted
more things in heaven and earth

haunted is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!
haunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
MrsBrommers

MrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admiration
Congrats! It sounds like you've got a solid query. Here's hoping your MS is able to connect with an agent!
Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley
MrsBrommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
CGs and good luck!

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
That's a brilliant request rate, congrats!
Hibernating: DIVIDE THE SKY (YA UF), THE LEVIATHAN RISES (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
WriterWho
Edit . . . Edit . . . Edit . . .

WriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
That's a brilliant request rate, congrats!

Agreed! Congrats and good luck!
WriterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
merlot143

Thanks. I'm more relieved than anything else. I'm hoping to hear back from others, and hopefully will get an offer of rep at some point.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Way to go! Hope you connect too.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Best of luck!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Purple Rose

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're off to a bright start. Let us know when you get an offer :-)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
merlot143

I was actually kinda surprised when people asked for the ms. But it seems like that's a relatively common occurrence based on the AW forums. Any pitfalls next?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
Congrats!!

I wouldn't say it's common for AWers to get requests...there are lots of "Rejection and Dejection" threads that would say otherwise. But it sounds like you have an appealing query, which is a great advantage in this process.

Pitfalls? I suppose watch out for exclusive requests, which you wouldn't be able to grant at the moment anyway. It's not a problem, per se, but if you were to accept an exclusive request, you'd want to place a time limit on it so that the material wouldnt be tied up with that one agent indefinitely.

And I'm guessing you've already researched the agents you're querying. If you haven't, check out the Bewares section here and sites like Preditors & Editors to make sure they're reputable agents.

And I guess my last bit of advice is to be cautiously optimistic. On one hand, even a bunch of full requests can end up with rejections. But on the other hand, it's GREAT that you're getting requests. So enjoy the good but don't count your chickens...

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
TorontoGirl
Write on, write on...

TorontoGirl is on a distinguished road
You should enjoy the feeling. I know you must have worked your butt off for it. The offers are coming, just you wait and see

TorontoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
merlot143

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I put a lot of prep work into this -- I tried to be as ready as possible when the book was done.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
L. Y.
Old Fish; Thick Scales

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congratulations!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We're proud of you. You did your research, wrote a strong query, and only started querying when you knew you were ready. May you have many wonderful offers!

Works in progress: too many.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
regdog
Hey, check me out
AW Moderator

Location: I'm a velociraptor on a bike, your argument is invalid
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Congratulations and good luck!
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote