Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
android415
practical experience, FTW

android415 is on a distinguished road
How do you extroverts get yourself to sit down and write?

Bit of an odd question.

I'm a writer, but I am also an extrovert (don't know if this is rare or not, haha).

I sometimes find it very hard to convince myself to sit down and write, even if a story is just begging to burst free. I don't like to just "sit down" at any other time, if I do I feel restless.

Anyone like this? What's the cure (unless the cure is some extreme self-discipline...)?
android415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Gilroy Cullen
Gilroy's Unlicensed Therapy Center

Gilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by android415 View Post
Bit of an odd question.

I'm a writer, but I am also an extrovert (don't know if this is rare or not, haha).

I sometimes find it very hard to convince myself to sit down and write, even if a story is just begging to burst free. I don't like to just "sit down" at any other time, if I do I feel restless.

Anyone like this? What's the cure (unless the cure is some extreme self-discipline...)?
Well, they have an option out where you dictate into a recorder, then use voice recognition to put it into the computer, though you might need to print to edit, if you can't sit at the keyboard.

It would allow movement, while still having creative output.

One person from Maryland during NaNo used to dictate his book while he drove to and from work. (2 hour trip each way) Then he'd upload each night. Think he hit something like 900,000 words that way...? Don't remember any more.

Braving SYW:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=279131
A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.
Gilroy Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just think of it as the dues you have to pay in order to be able to do book signings and readings.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
IDGS
I has a title.

IDGS has a spectacular auraIDGS has a spectacular aura
I'm in the same boat as OP.

It really just comes down to how badly you want it. If you want to get the book down, you'll do it. If not, you'll find an excuse.

PUB'D!
* GREY DOGS (I/III) - Severed Press - AVAILABLE HERE!
* WAITING JACKALS (II/III) - Severed Press - AVAILABLE HERE!
* CRIMSON LETTERS FROM KANDAHAR PROVINCE - Wild Wolf Publishing - AVAILABLE HERE!
* FIVE WORDS IN BLACK - PostMortem Press - AVAILABLE HERE!

WIP'S!
THE WILLOW (III/III) - 20,092 / 80,000

Lives @ www.IanDGSandusky.com
IDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Bit of an odd question.

I think you have to want to sit down and write. You have to enjoy it. Sitting down must be something you want to do, like to do, or what's the point. Many, many writers are extroverts, but still sit down to write with no problem, simply because it's what they really want to be doing. Sitting down to write simply has nothing to do with being an extrovert.

Feeling restless most often just means you'd rather be doing something else. Find out what that something is and do it. You'll be happier.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
android415

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGS View Post
I'm in the same boat as OP.

It really just comes down to how badly you want it. If you want to get the book down, you'll do it. If not, you'll find an excuse.
Yeah :/ I mean, I've been writing for about 10 years now. But as I said in my original post, my progress has begun to slow down.

I think it may be because my life used to be a lot more sedentary. Also doesn't help that my latest WIP is something I should have trunked a long time ago.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
P-Jay
My name is PJ.

P-Jay is on a distinguished road
Do you mind me asking, why you trunked your latest WIP?

And regarding your original question... I am also an extrovert. And like people posted, there really isn't anything more to say than "it comes down to how badly you want it."

2 tricks I use.

1. Get used to saying "no" to people asking you to go out for lunch, dinner, to the bar, club, whatever. If you originally planned on writing that day, just tell them you're busy. They won't miss you.

2. Go write somewhere else. It helps when I drive out to a coffeeshop that's at least 5, 10 minutes from home. Once you're out, you get the "well I'm already here... might as well do what I came to do" feeling. The change of scenery's always nice too.
P-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Being an extrovert and having self-discipline are not mutually exclusive personal traits. If you can't sit down and do things that are appealing to you, your problem is something other than just being an extrovert. Either that, or being extroverted is just a convenient excuse to avoid doing the work of writing.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
android415

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Jay View Post
Do you mind me asking, why you trunked your latest WIP?

And regarding your original question... I am also an extrovert. And like people posted, there really isn't anything more to say than "it comes down to how badly you want it."

2 tricks I use.

1. Get used to saying "no" to people asking you to go out for lunch, dinner, to the bar, club, whatever. If you originally planned on writing that day, just tell them you're busy. They won't miss you.

2. Go write somewhere else. It helps when I drive out to a coffeeshop that's at least 5, 10 minutes from home. Once you're out, you get the "well I'm already here... might as well do what I came to do" feeling. The change of scenery's always nice too.

Thanks for the tips!

And my latest WIP is actually a re-write of a finished manuscript. I thought I could re-work the story into something better, but I find myself growing bored with the story (which is, in essence the same, I just had to fix some major plot holes). I've been "halfway done" for about 6 months now.

I'm wondering if that's the true source of my problem, and perhaps I should start something else? Although I'm kicking myself for wasting all this time.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Escape Artist
Plotting her escape...

Escape Artist has a spectacular auraEscape Artist has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Bit of an odd question.

Wanted to add this link, as all this talk of introverts/extroverts made me think of it. I thought it was cute.

http://sveidt.deviantart.com/art/How-to ... -291305760

Enjoy!

Now back to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Six Feet Under - (drafting)

In Lieu of Death - (brainstorming)
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
P-Jay
My name is PJ.

P-Jay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for the tips!

And my latest WIP is actually a re-write of a finished manuscript. I thought I could re-work the story into something better, but I find myself growing bored with the story (which is, in essence the same, I just had to fix some major plot holes). I've been "halfway done" for about 6 months now.

I'm wondering if that's the true source of my problem, and perhaps I should start something else? Although I'm kicking myself for wasting all this time.
I've never believed that any WIP is worth abandoning completely. I don't know if that's naive of me to say or not, but that's just my opinion. I see WIP's like play-dough. If it doesn't work one way, you can always mold it into something else. I mean, no one's limiting your creativity but yourself. There are no boundaries in where you can take your story.

But really, it's whatever gets the creative juices flowing. If starting from scratch is what it takes to get you writing, then by all means.
P-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What makes it hard for you to convince yourself to sit down and write? Is it the fact that you have too much energy or something?

I'm an extrovert and I set aside my mornings to write. Then I have lunch with friends etc, so my need to socialize and bitch do not eat into my writing time.

I used to lack discipline...so what I did was get myself to a cafe with just my notebook and a pen and sit there for three to four hours. I was so undisciplined that I couldn't have my laptop with me because I'd just end up playing Minesweeper. Eventually, after I got used to spending that time to write, it became easier and easier and I find that writing is quite effortless now. Of course, this doesn't really have much to do with extro/introvert personalities...it's more of a penchant for procrastination.
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
madrynea

madrynea is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Jay View Post
I've never believed that any WIP is worth abandoning completely.

I think there's one case, one that I've encountered--when you have absolutely no emotional attachment to any part of the manuscript. When you don't care about the characters, find all of it dull, and you don't care whether the story lives or dies. Then, I think, it's as well to start over with something new.

And yes, I wrote 120k about a story I felt that way about. Don't ask me how. My second name is discipline. :P

Writing projects:

The Fourth Rule of the Sacrifice (fantasy; in QLH)
Mylanh's Journal (fantasy/erotica; writing first draft)
madrynea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
android415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
What makes it hard for you to convince yourself to sit down and write? Is it the fact that you have too much energy or something?

I'm an extrovert and I set aside my mornings to write. Then I have lunch with friends etc, so my need to socialize and bitch do not eat into my writing time.

I used to lack discipline...so what I did was get myself to a cafe with just my notebook and a pen and sit there for three to four hours. I was so undisciplined that I couldn't have my laptop with me because I'd just end up playing Minesweeper. Eventually, after I got used to spending that time to write, it became easier and easier and I find that writing is quite effortless now. Of course, this doesn't really have much to do with extro/introvert personalities...it's more of a penchant for procrastination.
Good tips, thanks. And yeah, I have a lot of energy.

But on the plus side, I've written 300 words today! That's a start!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroFizz View Post
Being an extrovert and having self-discipline are not mutually exclusive personal traits. If you can't sit down and do things that are appealing to you, your problem is something other than just being an extrovert. Either that, or being extroverted is just a convenient excuse to avoid doing the work of writing.
I agree. Being introverted/extroverted has nothing to do with concentration.

Now, time to actually write? That's a different beast. I'm not particularly extroverted or introverted, but when my schedule is full, I never have time to devote to my blog.
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #16
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm an extrovert and I still sit down and write every day. Self-discipline has never been one of my strongest traits, so I know that's not what keeps me writing. For me, it comes down to loving the act of writing.

Well, that and getting paid. Getting paid is nice, too.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Trevor Z
Learning About New Fish

Trevor Z is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty introverted, but writing can still be draining. It doesn't really fill the "I need to be alone to recharge now" battery in the same way that reading or relaxing does.

The writing can be your work--you get to hang out with friends afterwards--just like any other job.
Trevor Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
I'm very extroverted, and writing outside of home is my solution too. I take my laptop or my notebooks out and write in cafes, food courts, parks, in my car on the side of the road. Being out gives me the external stimulation that my brain thinks it needs. Once it's had its fill, I can go home and write at my desk.

Generally I have sensory overload when I'm trying to write, though - constant nagging of my extroverted children who want me to make their lives more interesting

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
French Maiden

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
I consider myself an introvert, but still find it difficult to sit down and write. I love to do it, it's just there are so many distractions. kids, housework, studies, reading, and the dreaded TV.

I think it all comes down to discipline and wanting to do it.
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote