Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
catherineshanahan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

catherineshanahan is on a distinguished road
Sound tracks for your book?

So sometimes I like to pretend my book is a movie and when I hear a song imagine a scene from it set to it. I am a nerd like that.

But serious question. Do you find yourself listening to different music as you write? Like music that inspires that particular work or that seems more like your characters would like it then you actually like it yourself?

Just so I feel less odd has anyone else picked out a sound track to their non-existent movie based on their book? lol
catherineshanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
I'm the same, absolutely.

I've relied heavily on a couple of Two Steps from Hell albums to inspire/focus me when writing. I have a favourite track that is the 'trailer music' to one of my WIPs; every time I play it I imagine the trailer. It's always great. Just a shame I can't translate it on to the page in the way that I want! (Yet.)

So I think it's a good thing and not at all nerdy to do.

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
catherineshanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corussa View Post
I'm the same, absolutely.

I've relied heavily on a couple of Two Steps from Hell albums to inspire/focus me when writing. I have a favourite track that is the 'trailer music' to one of my WIPs; every time I play it I imagine the trailer. It's always great. Just a shame I can't translate it on to the page in the way that I want! (Yet.)

So I think it's a good thing and not at all nerdy to do.
Good to know it isn't just me! I also have an imaginary trailer!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Ellaroni
Out on the fjord

Ellaroni has a spectacular aura
I also belong in this club! I added a number of songs to my playlist for this year's NaNo novel and they keep buzzing in my head whenever I think about scenes for that book (I'm almost at the end now). When I sit down to write, I play that list over and over, and occasionally I add some songs. There are 31 on the playlist right now.
I really need music to write - and I always prefer with lyrics too, I never think it interferes with my own words.

Current projects:
FB - YA LGBT contemp - 80K - editing
P - YA multiple POV - 73K

Published:
SUPERMASSIVE - Contemporary LGBT YA (Harmony Ink Press, 2014)
Get it at Amazon* Barnes and Noble* Dreamspinner Press
Ellaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah is well-respected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY_UKnXd50

I listen to music like this whenever I'm writing my short stories.^^ And yes, I'm an anime fan.

Chapter Book Series
Nymphs Of Winter Fire (Volume 1) -- Chapter Book -- Portal Fantasy -- 8,000/7,000 words.
Nymphs Of Winter Fire (Volume 2) -- Portal Fantasy -- Portal Fantasy -- 8,000/7,000 Words

Skull-Fairy Dance
Character Illustrations
JustSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
nightowling
Maybe it was Utah.

nightowling is on a distinguished road
Haven't picked out a pretend movie soundtrack (that's a fun idea though), but I definitely have a playlist for each WIP. When the ideas start brewing for a particular story, I listen to the playlist and the songs inspire me or help me feel the tone of a certain scene. I also recently created a playlist for a character, like one that he'd be listening to on his headphones while doing his job.
nightowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
KSavoie
practical experience, FTW

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
A big portion of my novel I have been listening to the song Radioative by Imagine Dragons. It just seems to fit what is going on in my story, or at least I imagine it fits well haha.

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Apocalyptic - Trunked
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Another round of revisions
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
catherineshanahan

I have been listening to the following songs on repeat while writing:

Jar of Hearts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM

After Tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGkJez6pcM

Into Dust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxZwwfQj9c

The Blowers Daughter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXVMCHG-Nk

Lua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZh261KZWI
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I make a soundtrack for almost every book I write. The ones I don't, don't usually get to the editing stage.

There's a huge thread of playlists somewhere in here if you want to share

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Animad345
"Let's write!"

Animad345 is well-respected
If I'm honest, whenever I'm listening to my iPod, I think of my characters. Different songs remind me of the different stories I have written and plan to right. In my current manuscript, which I'm revising at the moment, the two main characters are piano players, so I'll often listen to a song and imagine that it's one of them playing the music and singing. And I imagine trailers for my books all the time!

THE MONSTER IN THE MAN (Thriller)
JIGSAW BOY (YA)
HIT THE BREAKS (YA/Mystery)
BLACK AND BLUE (Mainstream)

Working On:

FATHER HEARTLESS (Paranormal)
ELECTRONEGATIVITY (Thriller)
VIOLET (Mainstream)
Animad345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
Yes, definitely - I reckon it adds to a scene (reading it AND writing it) if there's an appropriate song playing, and if, say, you're writing a scene full of angst and listening to Carly Ray Jepsen, it's going to put you off your stride

THE BR1GHTEST FELL, which is a pretty dark contemp, involved a lot of angsty emo stuff - Evanescence, You Me At Six, Natalia Kills, etc.
Plus some Brit chart-folk music - Mumford and Son, Seth Lakeman, Kate Rusby and so on.

YOU, ME AND EIGHT CRAZY GOODBYES is a bittersweet, grief-and-romance beach-y book, so there was happy pop like One Direction, Conor Maynard, Rihanna, and sad songs by people like Cat Stevens, Seth Lakeman again, Emeli Sande, Lady Antebellum and others.

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying.

UNTITLED - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The YA novel in my siggy has a lot of Aaliyah(I don't think I could have written half of this novel w/o her music. RIP.), SWV, Drake, Beyonce, Lloyd, Brandy,basically Hip-Hop&RnB.

The second novel's soundtrack is dark and dense music. Soper Aeternus, Puscifer,Tool, My Dying Bride,Draconian, and more Gothic/symphonic metal.

Two Steps From Hell is awesome! I use them for my epic fantasy soundtrack. I LOVE ES Posthumus and when I write to them,I get quite full of myself and entertain Tolkien-esque delusions of grandeur.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Last edited by Kitty27; 01-05-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
CarysDovahkiin
You go Glen Coco

Location: In a lovely place, in my mind. Would you like to visit?
CarysDovahkiin is on a distinguished road
Grooveshark.

For all your music needs.

Twitter
CarysDovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For atmospheric, haunting music -- Florence & the Machine, with a little Evanescence thrown in.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
KSavoie

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
Florence and the Machine has helped me write a number of short stories for my Creative Writing classes.

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Apocalyptic - Trunked
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Another round of revisions
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Amynta

Amynta is well-respected
I'm actually listening to my WIP's soundtrack right now. The one downside of it is that there are Christmas carols in it. Thematically perfect... it's just awkward listening to them right now. XD

Amynta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
LJ Hall
For I am a Rain Dog too

LJ Hall has a spectacular aura
Music is a huge factor when I'm writing. It helps settle the ADHD, ya know?

I like to choose songs that fit a mood, the tone of the book, not songs that would necessarily appear in some soundtrack or on my MC's iPod.

Like right now I'm editing a pretty dark-toned urban fantasy that deals with class issues (using werewolves and vampires) and focuses on the broke and miserable on the scummy side of town. I listen to a LOT of Tom Waits.
LJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
I don't listen to music as I write, but I do put together soundtracks for my book. They help me get in the mood and figure out the characters.

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't write while writing, either. I usually listen to a certain song a few times in a row to get the rhythm in my head, then try and match the words to the beat.

Another one that's really good for this is the soundtrack to the movie The Village.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
SAppleyard
Making friends with the Deadly Sins

SAppleyard is on a distinguished road
Most definitely! Usually I end up hearing a song that just fits the story or characters so well so then I try to incorporate it somehow lol. Usually I have a song for the main character that is the song that describes them best. Sometimes I don't find it until halfway through writing, but when I do it helps me make my character stronger sometimes because I think about the words and what they mean to him or her.
Amorette has one job to do on Earth: spread her sin Lust. When Wesley arrives and ignores her advances, he has Amorette's attention. No one’s ever refused her and she isn't about to let him. What neither knows is that Lucifer has lied for centuries to keep them apart.
SAppleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've discovered I can't write while listening to music. It's just too distracting nowadays. My multi-tasking skills suck.
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #22
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Celtic...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #23
DrunkenLilacs
Growing tipsier as we speak

DrunkenLilacs is well-respected
I don't know if it's just me, but when I'm super invested in a particular WIP, it seems like every song I listen to fits perfectly with the characters' situations. The lyrics, the atmosphere. The only time I can really write while listening to music is when I'm writing action-y scenes or emotional scenes. Other than that, nahhh. I start typing the lyrics down by accident.

DrunkenLilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #24
Nicole River
with the weird fowl in her userpic

Nicole River is well-respected
Harsh industrial. I can't listen to anything else lately. And for once I'm working on a WIP where harsh industrial FITS the WIP...
Nicole River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #25
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
I've found a lot of inspiration in Lana Del Rey's album Born to Die, but I wouldn't say it's a soundtrack.

Edit: Also, Florence and the Machine. Always.
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.

Last edited by frankiebrown; 01-07-2013 at 04:27 AM.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote