Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
slackercruster
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

slackercruster is on a distinguished road
Self publishing a photo book

I want to make a photo book to sell on Amazon. Was thinking of 100 copies or so. Not trying to make $ with book. Just trying to preserve some of my photos.

My wife and DIL will trash my photos when I kick off...they hate my photography. Just trying to preserve some of the images before they end up in the dumpster.

Book size about 10 x 12 landscape. Maybe 65 images, high quality BW. Hardcover. I have a good book title and cover design. (Book is about Hollywood 1970's..the dark side.)

Was hoping to spend maybe $1500 on the project.

Is this a doable project as I have listed it? Any printers you can rec to use?

I can post link to some of my pix. But some of them are nudes and don't want to rock the boat if they are an issue here.

Suffice it to say, my work is high grade, interesting and I have a few photos in museums around the country. So my photography is not in question, the only question for me is the best way to get it done.

Thanks

Dan
slackercruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A friend of mine uses Shutterfly at around $40 each for his petroglyph photography art books, and sells them in museum gift shops & when he does lectures. Minimum order is 1, but he usually orders a few at a time. They look lovely.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Have you thought about doing this as a Kickstarter project? (*I'm a Kickstarter addict. I think it is one of the best websites on the planet*)
http://www.kickstarter.com/

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
slackercruster
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

slackercruster is on a distinguished road
Thanks, will check them out. I have not heard of them.

Only companies I know of are Blurb and Gorham Printing.
slackercruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might check the phonebook for someone local. Many printshops can do this kind of thing. A face-to-face meeting might help clarify exactly what you want, what's possible, and what price.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If I were you, I wouldn't make a book.

I'd make a DVD.

I'd use something like Apple's iPhoto to create galleries of your images, and slide shows, with voice over narration or text.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
J. Tanner
practical experience, FTW

J. Tanner is a shiny, shiny jewelJ. Tanner is a shiny, shiny jewel
Also, consider writing a will that puts your artwork in the hands of someone who wouldn't treat it so shabbily.

Latest Publication: "Bring Me the Head of Pepe Cortez!" in Return of the Dead Men Walking (anthlogy)
Latest Sale: "Reunion Soup" to [title unannounced] fantasy anthology coming somewhenish
J. Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote