Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The card you can't throw away.

I envy those anti-clutter people who can throw a Christmas card, birthday card or a baby announcement in the trash basket after reading it. I can't. It is a struggle to throw them out even months after the season but I force myself because I am descended from a long line of cat ladies and shoe box hoarders. Still, in my desk drawer there is a box of cards that have made it through seven moves and seven card purges.

I was looking at my very favorite last night. It was sent to my husband, a fourth grade teacher, maybe twenty years ago. It is in a bill envelope. The card is hand lettered and hand drawn. I have to handle it carefully because five quarters are still taped to the inside. The card says, in #2 lead pencil, " Merry Christmas and have a beer on me, Mr. Smith." It is signed Jose and there is a hand drawn picture of a frothy stein of beer on the cover.

I don't know whatever happened to Jose. He must be close to forty. I hope he is doing well somewhere, living a relatively sober life. I'd love to thank him for this piece of joy that he dropped on his favorite teacher but I can't, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Anyone have a card to share?
shakeysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern It©

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry SS,

I'm one of those anti-clutter people who purge that kind of stuff twice a year.

However, that was such a cute story about the card from Jose'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
You haven't lived 'til you've been Laverned!

Kylabelle: Laverning is how I get through the long days... (Don't ask about the long nights, just don't)
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Making specific choices—keeping this very special card, vs. keeping all cards—is not the same as hoarding.

I'd have kept it too.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I generally throw cards away pretty soon after getting them... However, I received one in the mail yesterday that I think I'll have to keep. It contained a DVD of Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas.

This, from my dad and stepmum, who know full well that I'm 28. But anyway, I'm assuming I'll keep the DVD, so I should probably keep the card it came in too.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My paternal grandmother always used to send little-kid type birthday cards, all throughout my life. She was a very unemotional-seeming woman (not into cuteness, quite strict, etc), so that always brought a smile to my face

I kept a few examples, yeah. I'm so glad I did

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds sort of like my aunt... She always sends me and my siblings birthday cards with cutesy kid teddy bear stuff all over it, even at our age.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
backslashbaby

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mine was usually cute little woodland creatures

This was a woman who was seen trying to annihilate a stray neighbor's goat in her yard with a broom, btw! She would have won, too, I think, had the neighbors not intervened Eat my grandmother's plants and be damned!

-- Celia Cyanide

Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
now wait-- i am a great aunt myself and i still think of my middle aged nieces and nephews as second graders. i sent my 22 year old grand daughter a winnie the pooh christmas card just last week. i stuffed it with a grown up gift card but i could not resist winnie and tigger because she loved them when she was little! my college freshman g-son got a snoopy card with enough bills for a couple of six packs!!

we old folks are not senile , we are blinded by love for the children you once were! --s6 ps--hats off to your grammy, backslash! a goat can decimate a garden.--i say buy the woman a box of cherry bombs for christmas! or an air rifle.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... me, too, to a degree. Cards I get mean a lot to me. So I keep them for a few months and put them on display where I can view them each day and be cheered by them. Don't get many, so there's never shortage of space. Then I toss them, after giving them a last read. So I wouldn't feel odd about holding onto cards, even for a long time. Of course if you make a habit of that with other stuff too then it can get a bit much. Happy Holidays to all here, while on the subject :-)
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
backslashbaby

Oh, she was never the least bit senile! No, she meant business with that broom, and she knew exactly what she was doing. I'm telling you, that goat was the one saved that day.

I loved the cute cards . I loved how she was really so multi-faceted. You didn't always know that by just talking to her.

-- Celia Cyanide

Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Cliff Face

Oh, I understand that it's a sentimental thing. But it still makes me laugh when I receive a card like that.

Hmm. Maybe I'm a sociopath?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

Grammy backslash is my new idol!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #13
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Very year we send a beautiful card (generally from the Met) and a newsletter. Several people have told me they've kept every one. I've been quoted in other people's newsletters, and you bet, I keep those!

I've also kept the one from the cousin who has never sent a holiday card to anyone, thanking me for thinking of him every year.

I've got a Chagall card from my Mom that she sent a few years ago out where we can see it all the time.

I love Christmas, even if it isn't my holy day.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #14
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post
I've got a Chagall card
... cool!
(one of my favorite artists.)
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
druid12000
You're out of your tree...

Location: The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans...
druid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have kept cards for a while, even months, but then they get tossed. Except for the hand made ones from my nieces, these will always be with me. I also have two cards from my girlfriend that I keep by my bed and read from time to time. We're in a long distance relationship and whoever wrote the cards got our situation to a 'T'. I won't be throwing those out ever.
" My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'
druid12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I used to keep them all, but then my mom told me what she did with her grandmother's letters: She would keep the most recent one until the next one came. That way, she would be able to keep the last letter her grandmother sent and keep only that one.

And I love the Jose story. With Facebook and such, you might be able to find him!

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Making specific choices—keeping this very special card, vs. keeping all cards—is not the same as hoarding.

I'd have kept it too.
This.

My fave is an essay my tiny daughter wrote about her brother when she was five. I don't have it here, being between houses - but I promise I'll post it one day. It is utterly everything about her on one little pencilled page of mis-spelling....
mccardey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

I'd love to see it, mccardy. Wonder if you could scan it or take a picture and post it like that--s6