Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
keepcalmandwriteon
figuring it all out

keepcalmandwriteon is on a distinguished road
stuck in the middle with you

I'm a little over halfway through my novel....and now I'm stuck. I was on a roll and now I'm just staring at my notebook with a blank look. I don't know where to go next. I know what I want to happen near the end, but I don't know how to bridge it together. I've heard some writers write their story out of order. Should I just skip ahead and come back to the part I'm stuck on?
keepcalmandwriteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like to think that I want to write every word on the page. If I'm bored writing it, the reader will be bored reading it.

That said, I plow towards the end. Others are different, but this is what I do.

I used to get stuck in the middle, long time ago, and what helped me was plotting. Knowing what scene I need to write, what steps I need to take to get to the ending relieved the stress a lot.

If you want to plot a bit, just ask yourself, what are the steps my characters need to take to meet the climax?

If nothing comes to you, maybe that's the length of our story. Find a way to attach the ending and roll with it. (It almost sounds like, to me, you're trying to hit a certain word count and need to expand your story to meet it, thus, my point).

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Moose
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Moose is on a distinguished road
That has happened to me on every story I've written. I always get stuck around the middle. The last novel I was working on, I abandoned. The one I'm currently on, I was able to plow through and am now moving towards the ending.

What helped me get through this time was writing down what I wanted to do for each of those middle chapters. I knew what major plot points needed to happen so I made notes on how I was going to get to that point. It worked because it gave me something to focus on. The problem I had with my previous novel was I had no clue where I was going besides the ending.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
This happened to me with my WIP. I got so frustrated that I didn't even write anything for a few days. Then I sat down in a quiet room with a notebook and pen. No computer in sight, so I couldn't get distracted. I knew where I wanted my WIP to end, so I asked myself: How can I get my MC where I want her to be? Not just where I wanted her to physically be, but emotionally and psychologically, too. I wanted her to grow. Because that's what the middle is for, right?

I jotted down a few ideas. Then I come to another realization. I already had a lot of my middle in the first 20k words. My problem was pacing. For example, I had a supporting character die in the same scene that my MC kills someone. The result was that it was difficult for me to spend as much time as I'd like on the emotional reaction of each event, because my MC was trying to deal with them at the same time. I broke the supporting character's death out and gave it its own scene. Presto: 3k words.

Good luck
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
^Ditto what frankiebrown said.

Also, nebulous middles are my favorite place to use the "idea combination" trick. I go through my notebook of ideas for separate stories and look to see if any of them would be a logical escalation for the MC's current problem.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
itsaplane
all the feels, ALL OF THEM

itsaplane is on a distinguished road
I'm a big plotter. Some people can just let things flow but I plot. I outline, and make little notes and if I get stuck, I either leave a note saying "well, next scene such and such happens" then go write somewhere else. I had to go back and fill in a few blank spots earlier and then had to go and change things up ... Sometimes your characters just write themselves.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
KSavoie
practical experience, FTW

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
I pull my Nano technique. Just push through it. If it's crap it's crap. You can always go back later and fix it. Just get the skeleton out.

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Apocalyptic - Trunked
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Beta-ing/Revision Round 3
YA LGBT Speculative Fiction-Planning for Nano
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
I'm an outliner, so I always know how my story will end and what twist will keep the middle exciting. It keeps me focussed and stops me stalling.

I know a few writers who will stop in the middle of a story to outline or re-outline if they get stuck. Have you tried that?

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Niiicola
Twitchy

Niiicola has earned our admirationNiiicola has earned our admirationNiiicola has earned our admirationNiiicola has earned our admiration
I say write whatever is exciting to you to keep up momentum. If that means writing the ending, go for it. The one risk with that is that you might get from A to C, but when you go back and write B, you'll discover that it changes C. For me, sometimes just writing C gives me an idea of what the hell I'm doing and then helps with the middle part, even if it all changes later.

One other thing that's helped me is to go back and write earlier scenes from the POV of another character -- just as a writing exercise. Sometimes it helps me discover new ways they can drive the plot. If nothing else, it's great for their character development.

Long walks, long showers, and taking a week off to read beautiful books also seem to help. For some reason, not allowing myself to work on a MS for a set amount of time gets me motivated when I can finally come back to it.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Animad345
"Let's write!"

Animad345 is well-respected
When I'm in your situation, I go ahead and write the climax. It's often a scene I've been really looking forward to getting to. Once I've got it down, I know where I'm heading. Then I can write from where I was before, up to that point. Afterwards, the path to the ending is relatively easy.

Keep going. Everyone gets stuck at some point. Do what works for you and, above all, keep writing. Maybe work on a short story or a poem if you're still stuck. Trust me, it doesn't distract you completely from the task at hand- rather, it gets your creative juices flowing if you've hit a block in your current manuscript.

Hope this helped!

THE MONSTER IN THE MAN (Thriller)
JIGSAW BOY (YA)
HIT THE BREAKS (YA/Mystery)
BLACK AND BLUE (Mainstream)

Working On:

FATHER HEARTLESS (Paranormal)
ELECTRONEGATIVITY (Thriller)
VIOLET (Mainstream)
Animad345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
keepcalmandwriteon
figuring it all out

keepcalmandwriteon is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone. I'm doing some outlining, and I also decided to go back and insert some pov from my villian. It's kinda out of my comfort zone, because I'm used to writing in order, but it's getting the creative juices flowing.
keepcalmandwriteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My suggestion for when you're stuck in the Great Swampy Middle is to add some big event to head towards that is not the climax. That's an easy way to give your middle some excitement

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Ohio!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
Rachael_A
practical experience, FTW

Rachael_A is a shiny, shiny jewelRachael_A is a shiny, shiny jewel
If the idea of writing scenes closer to the end sparks your muse, I don't see any problem with skipping around and coming back to the part you're stuck on later. A lot of times when I get stuck it's because I don't know all my characters and their desires well enough to know what should naturally happen next. It helps me to go back to the beginning and do a rewrite, adding layers to each of my characters, and usually by the time I reach the place where I was stuck I know what to do.

Good luck!

Website|Twitter|Tumblr

17 F1RST K1SSES (YA Contemporary) - Harper Teen - June 17, 2014
Rachael_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
William Randall
Hey driver, to the top of the world

William Randall is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you lose momentum writing because the story itself loses momentum, meaning it starts to lack conflict/tension. When you're writing a scene chock full of conflict/tension, it's easy to have all the sudden written six pages. Whereas when you're plodding along trying to reach another point in the story, sometimes it seems like an eternity to figure out one page. This may not be the case for you, but it's something that I often realize in my own writing. When I'm going too slow, it's often because nothing is really happening in the story.

Too add on to that, some experts say you must have tension in each and every scene.

Perhaps this helps. Either way, good luck!

William Randall is offline   Reply With Quote