Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
GHWard
A Broken Keeper

GHWard is on a distinguished road
Fictional Names and Copyright Issues...

... An interesting question... has any Fictional Writer on this forum ever copyrighted names (i.e. fictional places, items, fictional companies, fictional organizations) he/she created for his/her plots?
GHWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You are probably confusing copyright with trademark. They are two independent and different forms of legal protection of intellectual property.

And I don't know that there are any "fictional writers" here at this site. Most of us are quite real.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When you copyright a book, you are copyrighting the contents of the book as they appear, in whole and in part. If I am not mistaken.

Trademarking is when you register a product logo or other such items.

Robert Griffin the 3rd, (QB of the Washington Redskins), trademarked his initials, RGIII and RG3, but he could not trademark his name... Pretty smart move on his part...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are trademarks in place for Harry Potter, Twilight and the Hunger Games.

I can still write a book about a boy named Harry Potter, his friend Ron and give them classmates named Bella Swan and Edward. They can attend Panem Magnet School, District 12 and be taught by a werewolf.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I registered a domain so I could use it in my book without issues. Does that count?
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post

I can still write a book about a boy named Harry Potter, his friend Ron and give them classmates named Bella Swan and Edward. They can attend Panem Magnet School, District 12 and be taught by a werewolf.

if you wrote that, that would be amazing!
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputation
Jean Auel trademarked 'Earth's Children' as the series title for her prehistoric novels. Which only reminded me of all those children's TV cartoons, where the whole point was to sell stuff, not tell a story.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
job
In the end, it's just you and the manuscript

job is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What blacbird said. You can trademark character's names and places. Disney trademarks Mickey Mouse. DC Comics trademarks 'Gotham City'.
See the wiki here.

To trademark your fictional creations you'd need to demonstrate their use in commerce -- You'd have to make money. You'd have to show use of the name elsewhere interfered with you making money. And the trademark would lapse if you stopped making money.

Last edited by job; 12-21-2012 at 03:14 AM.
job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Cornelius Gault
New writer since 07/2012.

Cornelius Gault is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post

Perhaps that's true, but not wise. At least, not unless you have some other purpose for your statement.

The purpose of the Harry Potter trademark is so the owner can make money on it an prevent others from doing so. If you created and sold a Harry Potter T-Shirt, you might make money ... until you get caught by the copyright nazis.

You could be required to pay a fine, pay part of your profits or possibly get a stern look and slap on the hand.

Mixing the name Harry Potter with other names "dilutes" the trademark and can lead to confusion on the part of the buyer.

If someone wanted to use a trademarked name, good luck and don't get caught.
#1: Murder-Mystery Elements (142K words) from 01/2013-PRESENT (on-going)
#2. Detective 12 Parallel Novel (48K words) from 02/2013-PRESENT (rebooting).
#3: The Gault Legacy (10K words) (shelved).
#4: Story Elements (31K words) (shelved).

--- as of 01/16/2014 ---
Cornelius Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius Gault View Post
The purpose of the Harry Potter trademark is so the owner can make money on it an prevent others from doing so. If you created and sold a Harry Potter T-Shirt, you might make money ... until you get caught by the copyright trademark nazis.
I just had to make this correction, even though I know you meant this. But soooooooo many people post here in complete confusion over the issues of "copyright" and "trademark" that it's important to keep them straight.

We have a bazoogle of threads here relating to these issues, and everyone with questions is urged to google the terms and get the straight dope from the official governmental agencies involved in the legal statutes.

I'll again post my favorite example of a literary use of both copyright and trademark as it applies in the U.S., and note that the statutes in other nations differ.

Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote Tarzan of the Apes, and its publication sent him into the same kind of success stratosphere enjoyed more recently by J.K. Rowling. Burroughs was a prolific writer, and produced a long series of Tarzan sequels, along with a variety of other adventure novels. Eight or ten of the Tarzan books have now lapsed into public domain in the U.S., meaning that anybody can legally reproduce the original texts and sell them, with no royalties involved. Numerous publishers have done so.

BUT, Burroughs also obtained trademark protection for the name Tarzan, the characters and setting of his novels. His estate still holds and enforces those trademarks. You cannot write and publish a new Tarzan story without obtaining explicit permission from these trademark holders.

Them's the rules. Fail to understand them at your peril.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Last edited by blacbird; 12-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Lidiya
Skimming galaxies

Lidiya is on a distinguished road
I fell in love with a street name once so I used it, but then I found out the actual street was named after a famous lake, and I had to scrap it.
Lidiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Perhaps that's true, but not wise. At least, not unless you have some other purpose for your statement.

The purpose of the Harry Potter trademark is so the owner can make money on it an prevent others from doing so. If you created and sold a Harry Potter T-Shirt, you might make money ... until you get caught by the copyright nazis.

You could be required to pay a fine, pay part of your profits or possibly get a stern look and slap on the hand.

Mixing the name Harry Potter with other names "dilutes" the trademark and can lead to confusion on the part of the buyer.

If someone wanted to use a trademarked name, good luck and don't get caught.
Not even close.

I can use those names as much as I want - so can you. They're names, and not copyrightable as names.

What you, I, and no one but their respective creators can do is use "the" Harry Potter (as in a British boy wizard with a lightning bolt scar who attends Hogwarts) and "the" Edward Cullen (as in a vegetarian non-fanged sparkling vampire from Washington state) or "the" District 12 (as in 1 of 12 competitive districts in the nation of Panem as established in the novel The Hunger Games.)

You can use names all you want - just not the characters.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
... until you get caught by the copyright nazis.
Wow. People who protect their intellectual property rights are...Nazis. Just wow.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidiya View Post
I fell in love with a street name once so I used it, but then I found out the actual street was named after a famous lake, and I had to scrap it.
Why did you have to scrap it?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
... until you get caught by the copyright nazis.
Oh my. Not a good thing to say.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Quote:
Why? Does this mean I can't use Main Street or 5th Street or Lake Superior in my story?

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Why? You were perfectly entitled to use the name. No one owns a street name.

Hollywood, California, tried a few years ago to make Hollywood, Florida, change its name, asserting that it had a trademark on the name Hollywood. The court chucked the case.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terie View Post
Wow. People who protect their intellectual property rights are...Nazis. Just wow.
The only people who will protect a copyright are the copyright owners. The same is true for trademarks.

If they happen to also be Nazis, so be it.

Most infringements are dealt with using a simple cease-and-desist letter. If the miscreant continues to violate a copyright after this, they are demonstrating intent and might be subject to punitive as well as financial damages. But taking someone to court over a copyright or trademark infringement is a very expensive process for both sides.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
Lidiya
Skimming galaxies

Lidiya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousbill View Post
Why? You were perfectly entitled to use the name. No one owns a street name.

Hollywood, California, tried a few years ago to make Hollywood, Florida, change its name, asserting that it had a trademark on the name Hollywood. The court chucked the case.
I like uncommon, unheard of names. But I guess I was being kind of stupid. Your street name has changed back, book characters!
Lidiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousbill View Post
The only people who will protect a copyright are the copyright owners. The same is true for trademarks.

If they happen to also be Nazis, so be it.

Most infringements are dealt with using a simple cease-and-desist letter. If the miscreant continues to violate a copyright after this, they are demonstrating intent and might be subject to punitive as well as financial damages. But taking someone to court over a copyright or trademark infringement is a very expensive process for both sides.
As someone whose intellectual property rights were infringed to the tune of a substantial five-figure monetary amount, I know.

I also don't appreciate being equated with being a Nazi for protecting my intellectual property.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
Buffysquirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terie View Post
I also don't appreciate being equated with being a Nazi for protecting my intellectual property.
I agree. I also don't like Nazis being equated with people who are perceived as being a bit mean.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

The Little Dog Laughed

Last edited by Buffysquirrel; 12-22-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Tyler Danann
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Tyler Danann is on a distinguished road
I do because some have an attitude that is so uncompromising and brutal it might as well be...
Tyler Danann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Buffysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Danann View Post
I do because some have an attitude that is so uncompromising and brutal it might as well be...
Maybe you should read more on what the Nazis actually did, if you really believe it's remotely comparable.

The Little Dog Laughed
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
Psychotic.Pink
practical experience, FTW

Psychotic.Pink is on a distinguished road
The only time I decide not to use names of people I know (other than the name just not fitting quite right for the character) is when I know these people would try and raise a fuss legally, and if I'm not terribly invested in the name. Because at that point it's just not worth it, even though I'd be in the right.

Psychotic.Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Danann View Post
As uncompromising and brutal as you might think it is, it helps to learn the business end of writing. Can't be arsed? Them's the breaks. As in other fields, certain terms have specific meanings and usage that can't be interchanged at whim. If you say or use something incorrectly, you can expect to be corrected or, at worst, to look like a total amateur.