Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Greetings from China

Hi, I'm Amanda. I am an American living in Hunan, China. I came here to teach, but my husband has a good job at a computer game company so I am quitting my job in Jan to focus on my writing.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Tepelus
Never

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputation
Welcome. How is it living in China?

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 172K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 70K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 49,000/120,000
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
alleycat
"Of all the gin joints . . . "
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Booker

Booker has a spectacular aura
Hello Amanda Welcome to AW there's 70000000 people just in Hunan You must have a lot of friends
Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Griffin Hayes
One evil little baby step at a time

Griffin Hayes is well-respected
Welcome to AW!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to the forums, Amanda!
Nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
drzimo

drzimo is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
L. Y.
Old Fish; Thick Scales

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello. Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
GeekTells
Tick tock...

GeekTells has a spectacular aura
Greetings from California, and GL with the writing.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm4768 View Post
Welcome. How is it living in China?
Right now it's COLD! We might be having our first snow of the year this weekend. Not excited for it.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker Boo View Post
Hello Amanda Welcome to AW there's 70000000 people just in Hunan You must have a lot of friends
I live in the largest city in Hunan, but it still gets pretty lonely Hunan is still kind of "rural" so we don't have that large of an expat community and my Chinese is pitiful. But that is kind of why I am here. I really need a writing community to be part of and there isn't anything local.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
regdog
Hey, check me out
AW Moderator

Location: I'm a velociraptor on a bike, your argument is invalid
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputation
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Booker

Booker has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda R. View Post
I live in the largest city in Hunan, but it still gets pretty lonely Hunan is still kind of "rural" so we don't have that large of an expat community and my Chinese is pitiful. But that is kind of why I am here. I really need a writing community to be part of and there isn't anything local.

My guess is that Changsha is a capital city of Hunan. There isn't the expat community in China coz China wasnt popular for business and living. But imagine your book becomes popular just in Hunan and sells in 70 million copies. Imagine the whole China

remember me if this happens
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
trocadero

trocadero is a shiny, shiny jeweltrocadero is a shiny, shiny jewel
Hi Amanda! What do you write? I'm in Hong Kong
Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Fallen
Tied in knots, as usual

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
good to have you here.

Submission call: AW Erotica Anthologies 2014

Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome aboard

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it Porter Starr Byrd

Yield to temptation, it may never come again
Unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
ThatKnight64
D.R. Grant

ThatKnight64 is on a distinguished road
A newbies welcome to you! What do you write?

WIP:
Book 1: YA Contemporary Fantasy (62,000 Words) Revising (With a chainsaw)
First Chapter Here
ThatKnight64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Amanda!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Wtf. Happens every time I come in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern It

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda R. View Post

... my husband has a good job at a computer game company so I am quitting my job in Jan to focus on my writing.
Lucky you!

Susie:
Laverning is the only way to travel!

Silent Rob:
I Lavern too... I started once, and now I just can't stop.

Kylabelle:

Laverning is how I get through the long days, mostly. (don't ask about the long nights, just don't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I've been Laverned! I feel like a completely different person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWest View Post
Laverning is for lovers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
I'd rather be Laverning
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
I'll be Laverning all of you sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
... I've *finally* been Laverned!!! It's even better than they said it would be!
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker Boo View Post
My guess is that Changsha is a capital city of Hunan. There isn't the expat community in China coz China wasnt popular for business and living. But imagine your book becomes popular just in Hunan and sells in 70 million copies. Imagine the whole China

remember me if this happens
Thanks for the encouragement! That is my dream, anyway. I've actually been reading a lot about the benefits of a local writing group, so I am thinking of trying to host one myself. There are a few expats in Changsha that are writers, but we are kind of spread out all over the city. It will be getting everyone together that will be the issue.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocadero View Post
Hi Amanda! What do you write? I'm in Hong Kong
Oh, wow. Hong Kong is great. It is so different from Mainland!

I write a little of everything. I am hoping my first romance novel will be coming out early in 2013. I want to write a cookbook for people living abroad. I have a huge plan in mind for writing a mystery series/comic crossover. I just have lots of ideas and will now hopefully have time to bring some of them to life.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavern08 View Post
Lucky you!
Yeah, I'm really lucky. He is my biggest cheerleader. But, living in China our expenses are very, very low, so we can afford to live on one income. I would never be able to do this in the States.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
writingismypassion
~Charity~

writingismypassion is on a distinguished road
Hi, Amanda. Good luck with your writing projects.

THIS IS LIFE (My Blog)
Sharing God's Truth (A Devotional Blog)

And I Tweet.
writingismypassion is offline   Reply With Quote