Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Intrafamily adoption UK

What are the actual legal procedures for adoption in the UK? I need reliable sources and links (preferably from a government organization or a .org)

I'm trying to see how likely Harry Potter's adoption to the Dursleys is.

I need stuff such as, if there is home study, if they go over family history, if a will is needed, etc.

Can someone really leave a relative on a doorstep without a will to prove it and legal procedures?
Rachel Udin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm pretty sure there would have to be a home study under most circumstances.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Google has about 10 pages of hits but these two are official

https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption/overview

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/fosterin...on_process.htm
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Private adoption is illegal in the UK. All actions that are taken will be in the best interest of the child. So no, a family that wants the child to live under the stairs is unlikely to be able to adopt.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
But if the child's birth wasn't registered, it could happen. But it would be totally illegal.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you to everyone for the links, thoughts, etc. I had a tough time finding it.
Rachel Udin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As mentioned, private adoption is illegal in the UK. However, placing the child with familiy is usually considered to be the most desirable option - many children are raised by their grandparents, uncles and aunts or older siblings as a result. In these instances social services will allocate a social worker to meet with the family etc, and usually a home study will be completed and the needs of the child assessed - in some cases staying within the family is not going to be in the child's best interests.

In a case where a child is close to a grandparent or other close relative, or has an older sibling - over 18 - who is able and willing to provide for them and can offer the care they need, then that's preferable to care.

However, in the case of a relative the child doesn't really know, or someone who is unwilling or unable to provide the care needed, the child is not going to be placed with them and instead will go into foster care and, possibly, eventually be adopted.

That said, the rate of adoption in the UK is pitiful when compared to the number of children in care, and the older a child is, the more likely it is to remain in care until adulthood.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote