Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
simonalexander2005
Reflectric

simonalexander2005 is on a distinguished road
How to write Space Opera (funny)

Hey, I came across this a few years back, and thought I'd share here

http://www.z9m9z.demon.co.uk/filk/opera.txt

Basically, it's a comedy outline for writing space opera. What do you think? Does it ring true to you?

Last edited by simonalexander2005; 12-16-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: removing quoted text from post
simonalexander2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonalexander2005 View Post
Hey, I came across this a few years back, and thought I'd share here

http://www.z9m9z.demon.co.uk/filk/opera.txt

Basically, it's a comedy outline for writing space opera. What do you think? Does it ring true to you?

I don't know enough about space opera to comment on it specifically but that was funny.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is filk (folk song or pop music melodies with sf&f parody lyrics).

It's full of affectionate mockery that will really only make sense if someone has read a lot of space opera. It is a sad commentary on my reading life that I get most of the jokes.

As a template, it is probably more on the side of dead wrong than useful, unless you earnestly try not to make the mistakes cited within the song.

Think of this gem as to space opera what Tough Guide to Fantasyland was to fantasy, and you're ready to go.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Billycourty
practical experience, FTW

Billycourty is on a distinguished road
I read and love space opera and I don't agree. This seems to have been written by someone with a very tired, one dimenional view of SO. Anne Maccffrey (my favorite space operiste) certainly doesn't result to old si/fi tropes like that.
Billycourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
simonalexander2005
Reflectric

simonalexander2005 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billycourty View Post
I read and love space opera and I don't agree. This seems to have been written by someone with a very tired, one dimenional view of SO. Anne Maccffrey (my favorite space operiste) certainly doesn't result to old si/fi tropes like that.
No, I agree it's very much a generalisation of Space Opera - and SO's probably developed a lot since 1998 anyway - but I think it's still funny, and maybe even useful in giving a new writer an outline of characters (that need much development on what's provided) when writing a story for the first time? Or certainly as Filigree says - as a warning if nothing else