Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Querying over Christmas?

I read a tweet that most editors will be away for Christmas though agencies will be open for queries. I read the Thanksgiving thread. What's the usual protocol for the Christian/Hanukkah/Saturnalia/holidays?
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Jolly-Boo
Please, call me Boo

Jolly-Boo has a spectacular auraJolly-Boo has a spectacular aura
I remember reading a similar thread lately. I think the basic consensus of that thread was: query whenever you want.

Good luck. I hope you find that golden egg.
Jolly-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
merlot143

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I remember a similar thread. Can't seem to find it again
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Little Ming

Little Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly-Boo View Post
I think the basic consensus of that thread was: query whenever you want.
x2.

Though my own preference is to avoid the holiday season, not because of the agents, but because I have enough shit to deal with that I don't want the added suspense of constantly wondering if I've been rejected yet.
Little Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
I wouldn't do it. I would wait a week or so into the new year so they can catch up with accumulated work.

But if they are open to queries there is no reason you can't.
AshleyEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Waiting makes no sense at all. You can find a reason not to query during every period of the year, but waiting is always a mistake. Agents and editors look at queries in the order they arrive, and if you wait you'll be behind all the thousands of writers who didn't wait.

And that one slot a publisher had open for a book just like yours might be filled while you're waiting, and someone else didn't.

When you have a query, or a manuscript, ready, send it. If you don't, someone else will beat you to it.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
JanDarby

JanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're hesitating because, like me, you're a chicken who's terrified of rejection, then wait until January 1. But acknowledge that you're doing it out of fear, nothing rational.

Otherwise, if the query and the manuscript are ready, and the agency is open to queries, and you're not a chicken looking for excuses to delay, then just send it and forget about it. No, they probably won't read it on Christmas or Christmas Eve or even the week between Christmas and New Year's, but it'll be higher in their queue than if you wait until January to send it.

ETA: JAR was posting at the same time as I was. Didn't see his response until mine went up.
JanDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wait until January. They're shoveling out their email boxes from the influx of post-NaNoWriMo submissions.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I already have about 30 subs out there ranging from three weeks to five months old. My agent has about ten. We both decided, once we exchanged information, to wait about two or three weeks and let our load settle in. Three publishers have also asked that I re-submit after the new year.

I just fear the January slush kill, where everything that's stacked up is taken care of by an intern who has instructions to get through this stuff as fast as possible, and with merciless abandon. Delete, click, delete, click, delete click and on and on...

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The intern won't be rejecting good or appropriate submissions, though: only things which aren't up to scratch, or which the publisher doesn't publish.

Interns are very carefully briefed before they're let loose on submissions.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Corinne Duyvis
My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
Wait until January. They're shoveling out their email boxes from the influx of post-NaNoWriMo submissions.
So waiting until January means you'll end up being behind all the writers who ARE querying now. Send your query so you can get in line. Waiting longer to query means waiting longer to get an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
I just fear the January slush kill, where everything that's stacked up is taken care of by an intern who has instructions to get through this stuff as fast as possible, and with merciless abandon. Delete, click, delete, click, delete click and on and on...
That doesn't happen. If an agent is open to queries, it means they want good submissions, so the slush pile is still handled with care.

There are always extra-busy times in the year. There's the December holidays, and Easter, and July 4th, and Thanksgiving. And there's conferences, and personal affairs, and and and...

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with James here, definitely.

And Corinne said it best, "Waiting longer to query means waiting longer to get an answer."

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
The only bad time to query is when the agent/editor says, "I'm closed to queries." Or when your book isn't ready.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
FCameron

FCameron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo20 View Post
The only bad time to query is when the agent/editor says, "I'm closed to queries." Or when your book isn't ready.
That's encouraging!

Thriller: R&R underway for agent
Thriller: WIP
Historical Fiction: Researching

When I'm not writing fiction, I blog (unedited) about what I love at Defining Your Home, Garden & Travel
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
sandolita
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

sandolita is on a distinguished road
Great info here. Thanks guys.