Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
AriAmaru
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

AriAmaru is on a distinguished road
Cool The 'Marge Simpson noise'" and other forms of non-verbal communication

[Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Still relatively new! And I wasn't sure if I should use this one, grammar/syntax, or brainstorming]

So I'm in the middle of editing a fantasy story, and instead of writing a verb to describe a character's disapproval, I wrote [MARGE SIMPSON NOISE] as a placeholder. You know which one I'm talking about - that "mmmm" sound. I've yet to find a word that adequately describes it. Grunt? Grumble? All I've got right now is "sound of disapproval", and that doesn't quite do it for me. Suggestions?

While I'm on the topic of "Sounds of The Simpsons", whoever can describe the Sideshow-Bob-steps-on-dozens-of-rakes noise will have my undying gratitude.
AriAmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
GeekTells
Tick tock...

GeekTells has a spectacular aura
I'm just spitballing here:

Growled in disapproval.

Grunted his displeasure.

Scoffed.

The first time you could go into more detail. Something like, "Her disapproval rumbled out from the back of her throat like an unhappy tiger."

"Like an unhappy tiger" sucks massive amounts of butt, but I can't think of anything better. My point is that you can start off with a some wordy descriptions to get your point across at first.

Oh, "like an angry purr."

Anyway, once you get your point across you can be more brief.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Atlantis
practical experience, FTW

Atlantis is a shiny, shiny jewelAtlantis is a shiny, shiny jewel
Made a sound of disapproval at the back of her throat.

Grunted

Groaned

Whacked

Smacked

Cracked

Whip-crack
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriAmaru View Post
[Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Still relatively new! And I wasn't sure if I should use this one, grammar/syntax, or brainstorming]

So I'm in the middle of editing a fantasy story, and instead of writing a verb to describe a character's disapproval, I wrote [MARGE SIMPSON NOISE] as a placeholder. You know which one I'm talking about - that "mmmm" sound. I've yet to find a word that adequately describes it. Grunt? Grumble? All I've got right now is "sound of disapproval", and that doesn't quite do it for me. Suggestions?

While I'm on the topic of "Sounds of The Simpsons", whoever can describe the Sideshow-Bob-steps-on-dozens-of-rakes noise will have my undying gratitude.
I always thought the Marge Simpson noise sounded like a small growl. It's very similar to the noise some pets make, in fact, though a bit scratchier. Can't help you with the rake noise, though

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nice question. I've always thought of it as a rumbling mmmm...lol not helpful.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
colealpaugh
"Bear trumps Elephants!"

colealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriAmaru View Post
... the Sideshow-Bob-steps-on-dozens-of-rakes noise ...
No help, but there's an incredible life altering message after the ninth minute, although it doesn't work if you skip ahead.

Website

The Spy's Little Zonbi
Coffeetown Press/2013

The Turtle-Girl from East Pukapuka
Coffeetown Press/2012

The Bear in a Muddy Tutu
Camel Press/2011

colealpaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a shiny, shiny jewelVoireyLinger is a shiny, shiny jewel
Disapproving hum?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think the closest I can get to Sideshow Bob's noise is "uuu-uuuugh."

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I think this is something where I'd just use "Hmph" and an action/facial expression to show the emotion behind it. Not every noise made by humans or animals can be 'reproduced' by the written word - and many that are, shouldn't be.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are. - Milton Berle

There's only one absolute in writing - Never listen to absolutes.
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can you have the character do some kind of disapproving action? It would probably be way more intersting to the reader than trying to duplicate some non-word noise, and it could certainly help develop the three-dimensionality of that character better than a sound.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

RedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admiration
I'm still trying to find a succinct way to describe that thing you do as a teenager where you stick your lower lip out and sigh loudly so that the resulting puff of air Across your face blows your bangs back. (Works best with Eighties hair.) Seems like there should be a word for it...
RedWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
pyrosama
Pyrosama

pyrosama is on a distinguished road
She looked at him with disapproval and a muffled hum in her throat.

Are We There Yet?

Facebook and Twitter
pyrosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
guttersquid
Riding the crest of a slump.

guttersquid is a shiny, shiny jewelguttersquid is a shiny, shiny jewel
She made a sound from deep in her throat, Mmmmm, a purr of disapproval.

That Sideshow Bob sound is always accompanied with a shiver.
guttersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
acockey
Bronies, Bronies Everywhere

acockey has a spectacular aura
phlemy throat clear or phlemy growl

Current WIP: V 33000/50,0000 (Alive Again Yay!!!)

New WIP: Phase-Washed Jeans: 5,000/ 80,000 (Once more into the breach of fantasy)

Check me out over at EliteCosplay.com... handle HandyAnimeAndy
acockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
AriAmaru

These are all great suggestions! I particularly like "phlegmy" and "muffled hum".
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
AriAmaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroFizz View Post
Can you have the character do some kind of disapproving action? It would probably be way more intersting to the reader than trying to duplicate some non-word noise, and it could certainly help develop the three-dimensionality of that character better than a sound.
I'll keep this in mind. I enjoy searching for the "perfect word" often, particularly strong active verbs, which is why I asked the question. But I agree, a good description of a disapproving action can be far more interesting!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #17
Seraph
You Know We're Gonna Do It Right

Seraph is a shiny, shiny jewelSeraph is a shiny, shiny jewel
I like "hummed with disapproval" or "hummed his/her disapproval," maybe accompanied by a negative gesture or action like Neuro said, like a frown or head shake or snort. You could try on some onomatopoeia, "Mmmmmmh," he disagreed, for example, see if it reads well.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
ave

ave is a shiny, shiny jewelave is a shiny, shiny jewel
If you set the context, a simple "hmm" could work.

"Do it. Do it now! I know you want to."
"Hmm," she wasn't quite so sure. The toothbrush had been in the toilet bowl after all, even if he had disinfected it.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave View Post
If you set the context, a simple "hmm" could work.

"Do it. Do it now! I know you want to."
"Hmm," she wasn't quite so sure. The toothbrush had been in the toilet bowl after all, even if he had disinfected it.
I think this illustrates exactly why you're better off just going with 'disapproving hum' or something of that ilk. If I didn't know you were after the 'Marge Simpson noise' here, I'd take the 'Hmm' in this example as a noise of consideration, like a, 'should I, or shouldn't I?"

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
ave

ave is a shiny, shiny jewelave is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo20 View Post
I think this illustrates exactly why you're better off just going with 'disapproving hum' or something of that ilk. If I didn't know you were after the 'Marge Simpson noise' here, I'd take the 'Hmm' in this example as a noise of consideration, like a, 'should I, or shouldn't I?"
yeah- That's what I was going for- I submit, I haven't watched the simpsons for about ten years so I am more than likely misunderstanding the OP.

That said, lets not get too stuck on the example. I guess the point I'm making is that you don't always have to use verbs. There are some things that are too clunky to describe accurately and succinctly. This is when thought and dialogue can add an entirely new set of brushes to a writers toolbox.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Erin Latimer
Stay in and write.

Erin Latimer is on a distinguished road
I would go with,

She gave a disapproving growl.

http://elatimer.com/
Finally on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ErinLatimer2
Erin Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
simonalexander2005
Reflectric

simonalexander2005 is on a distinguished road
It depends a bit on your writing style, I think. If you're writing in a Douglas Adams/Terry Pratchett style, you could probably get away with describing it in a jokey style - something like "she made a disapproving noise, you know, like the one made by aquarium owners when you walk in with a fishing rod" (only funny). Otherwise yeah, "disapproving groan/growl/grunt/murmur".
simonalexander2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #23
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
She pursed her lips into a tight disapproving line, "hmmm."
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #24
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I think the closest I can get to Sideshow Bob's noise is "uuu-uuuugh."
Quote:
*smack*

uRUUURuRuRUururuURuurURuURuRUR
courtesy of lunchbox0590

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #25
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewelJ.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewel
I have little to no input for this thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it was virtually impossible for me to make it to the bottom without making the noises referred to in this thread out loud. And I think that has improved the quality of my weekend.

Read me:

"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
"Battle Lines" in Plasma Frequency Magazine
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote