Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
I just came back from THAT side of YouTube

It started with the world's biggest pimple, then I progressed into videos of cyst excision (some of which seemed to be home-surgery, didn't seem the brightest idea to me), to ear wax removal, to a killer cat scratch, to a flesh-eating spider bite, and then into various parasite living inside the body, which was capped by the type that live and move around the brain and skull (thank you so much for those experiences AnimalPlanet).
And finally I ended my foray with a milkshake involving seven processed ice cream sandwiches.

So, yeah, my skin is crawling.
I'm going to try to sleep now. This will not end well . . .
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You went to the weird part of YouTube and survived.

That is a rite of passage everyone who visits there goes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Not my first visit to the freaky part of YouTube, but definitely the longest.
I think the total time was somewhere around 45 minutes to an hour.
--Laozi
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pfft. That's a sojourn at best. A brief visitation.

Come back and brag when you hit the 48 hour mark.

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are plenty of things on YouTube that can completely kill a craving for ice cream.

Maryn, who's seen them
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
LOG
Lagrangian

Also, ice creams that can kill. :P
--Laozi
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
Write_Askew
practical experience, FTW

Write_Askew is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Pfft. That's a sojourn at best. A brief visitation.

Come back and brag when you hit the 48 hour mark.
There are times, I swear, when the entirety of my household is in front of the computer watching that stuff. We've actually skipped making dinner and ordered a pizza so we didn't have to leave the computer before. Its awful. And amazing. I am particularly fond of the spider videos, especially the ones about the super-huge, super-fast ones in Australia. (Has anyone else noticed that entire continent seems stocked with things meant to kill humans?)

I must confess, though, that I was stuck on the Will It Blend page for hours on end. The Justin Beiber episode made me laugh so hard I thought I might puke.
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write_Askew View Post
We've actually skipped making dinner and ordered a pizza so we didn't have to leave the computer before.
I've skipped meals. And sleep. They have really, really long documentaries uploaded these days, which makes it all the harder to switch off and go do something productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write_Askew View Post
I am particularly fond of the spider videos, especially the ones about the super-huge, super-fast ones in Australia. (Has anyone else noticed that entire continent seems stocked with things meant to kill humans?)
That has been noted a few times here. Mostly by me, and mostly in the Cantina, where people seem determined to sell me on the idea of visiting Australia. I've seen what lives there - nobody's gonna convince me I'll get out alive...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I feel so deprived...
Ewe! I've never looked for any of this stuff.

Makes me wonder why.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdog View Post
But the battery is a real ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
That has been noted a few times here. Mostly by me, and mostly in the Cantina, where people seem determined to sell me on the idea of visiting Australia. I've seen what lives there - nobody's gonna convince me I'll get out alive...
Speaking as an Australian who has survived 28.5 years in this country, I've gotta so there's nothing to worry about.

Just don't go anywhere with long grass (snakes). Or in the ocean (sharks and jellyfish). Or to the bathroom (spiders).

Hmm. Better stay in the airport...
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I once read a book where a character said, "Sanity so often consists of knowing what not to think about."

I have a similar instinct about what not to look at on the internet.

The last time I screwed up was several years ago and involved a video of a man who had injected his penis full of saline (or something) until it was as big as a guinea pig and rolled around on his hand like a water-balloon on a table top.

I think I watched maybe one second's worth of footage before I mashed the back button and started making "distressed Chewbacca" noises.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Speaking as an Australian who has survived 28.5 years in this country, I've gotta so there's nothing to worry about.

Just don't go anywhere with long grass (snakes). Or in the ocean (sharks and jellyfish). Or to the bathroom (spiders).

Hmm. Better stay in the airport...
and the Drop bears?

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdog View Post
But the battery is a real ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We're slowly training them to do airport security. It's a little hit and miss so far... A few tourists got their faces eaten.

We don't like to talk about it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
writerterri
It's a dorky day!

writerterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswriterterri is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*snort*

Dork. (means I really dig you)

Check out my etsy shop!
Awesome new stuff just posted! TerriberriOriginals.etsy.com

Now that the hard stuff is out of the way, the easy stuff should be all up hill. TL Wies

The tallest mountain you will ever climb is getting over yourself.

writerterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Please.

Speaking as an Australian who survived 53 years in this country and then moved to France, let me just say that Other Countries Don't Do Poisonous Stuff.

Frankly - I found it a little freaky. Except for America and the gun thing (also the middle east) the rest of the world is basically harmless.

Who knew?
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
Cliff Face

Australia must really be out to get us then... Frankly, I blame the Mayans.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
mccardey

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Australia must really be out to get us then... Frankly, I blame the Mayans.
I blame the French. But I'm prepared to forgive them.

Cliff - the world is about to end isn't it? I just missed the date...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
Cliff Face

Last I heard, it was scheduled for the 21st of this month.

Which time zone, I have no idea! I mean, the morning of the 21st here is the evening or afternoon of the 20th for everyone else! By the time everyone else is getting stuck into their 21st, we'll be on the 22nd.

Frankly, the only way this apocalypse has any chance is if the entire world is inexplicably asleep at the same time. Which isn't a bad way to go, I hear.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
mccardey

Quote:
Last I heard, it was scheduled for the 21st of this month.

Which time zone, I have no idea! I mean, the morning of the 21st here is the evening or afternoon of the 20th for everyone else! By the time everyone else is getting stuck into their 21st, we'll be on the 22nd.
Lord! How will I know what to wear? It's the Rapture thing all over again. What are you wearing?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Location: It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
If you want gross but funny at the same time, try watching the Honey Badger.
Paperback Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
Cliff Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
Lord! How will I know what to wear? It's the Rapture thing all over again. What are you wearing?
I'll be wearing a placard that says, "The End-Times Are NOT Upon Us!" Just to mess with people.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
mccardey

Quote:
I'll be wearing a placard that says, "The End-Times Are NOT Upon Us!" Just to mess with people.
Okay, so I guess I'll go with my Sale Ends Thursday placard. And tights.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Cliff Face

"Buy now, before the zombie alien meteor hits Earth!"
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
LOG
Lagrangian

I like to live in cold climates.
Partly for the snow, partly just because I like things a bit chilly, and if the freezing climates is discouraging to creepy-crawly things, well, that's just a bonus.
:P
--Laozi
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
Cliff Face

Mmm, I prefer the cold too. My biggest bug annoyance are the flies in Summer. So annoying!

*throws a snowball at the flies*

It was 39C here today, which is 102F. Ack! My snowball melted before it left my hand!