Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Now We're Cookin'!
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hot Buttered Rum

So it's cold and miserable and I'm out of beer anyhow and I really feel like one drink before bed so it seems like the perfect time to make up a hot buttered rum. Haven't had one since about this time last year so I'm overdue anyhow.

The first thing I do is boil water, then pour some into a coffee mug. Got to let it sit long enough to heat the mug, then toss it out.

Dump about a teaspoonful of brown sugar into the mug. You can use more or none at all if that's your preference. Pour a little of the boiling water into the mug and stir to dissolve. Then add a good jigger of dark rum--a good jigger being somewhat more than a jigger which is an ounce and a half as I recall.

Fill the mug with boiling water to about a half inch from the top. Add a pat of butter (remember those "pats" you used to get in restaurants before they started giving you the "whipped butter" which actually gives you less butter and more air?). Float one of those on top of your drink.

No. No margarine. SRSLY.

Now grind your nutmeg two or eleventy times over the floating butter to taste. Yes, you can use the canned scrap if you wish but it's not nearly as good.

Now sip the drink through the nutmeg topped butter.

Life's good, ain't it?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Last edited by Haggis; 12-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Southern Living usually has a page of holiday drink recipes. I saw one the other day that might have a slightly different hot buttered rum recipes (but I'm not sure).

By the way, be sure not to drink nutmeg by itself with hot water.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ah, maybe I was thinking of the hot buttered rye.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/h...06/page35.html

Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Ah, maybe I was thinking of the hot buttered rye.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/h...06/page35.html
That's different. Interesting too. I'm all for good, cold weather drinks.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Our friends used to keep homemade hot buttered rum goop in the freezer. It was similar in texture to ice cream, and she would melt it and mix it with rum and hot water. That stuff would really set you right after a long day of skiing. It was like a hot milkshake. With booze. I will see her at Christmas and try to wrangle the recipe from her.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Check out Tom and Jerrys too. Another cold weather drink.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
kikazaru
Benefactor Member

kikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
So it's cold and miserable and I'm out of beer anyhow and I really feel like one drink before bed so it seems like the perfect time to make up a hot buttered rum. Haven't had one since about this time last year so I'm overdue anyhow.

The first thing I do is boil water, then pour some into a coffee mug. Got to let it sit long enough to heat the mug, then toss it out.

Dump about a teaspoonful of brown sugar into the mug. You can use more or none at all if that's your preference. Pour a little of the boiling water into the mug and stir to dissolve. Then add a good jigger of dark rum--a good jigger being somewhat more than a jigger which is an ounce and a half as I recall.

Fill the mug to about a half inch from the top. Add a pat of butter (remember those "pats" you used to get in restaurants before they started giving you the "whipped butter" which actually gives you less butter and more air?). Float one of those on top of your drink.

No. No margarine. SRSLY.

Now grind your nutmeg two or eleventy times over the floating butter to taste. Yes, you can use the canned scrap if you wish but it's not nearly as good.

Now sip the drink through the nutmeg topped butter.

Life's good, ain't it?
Since it's -23 here and my furnace has been going non stop, I was with you right up til the bolded part - and then I got confuzzled. Am I to fill the mug up with rum? (and I'm thinking that amount of rum would certainly put enough hair on my chest to keep me warm the rest of the winter) but I know (and don't ask how) I can't drink that amount and still remain up right. More boiling water? Tea? (I think Chai tea would be really good.)

Groucho Marx
kikazaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikazaru View Post
Since it's -23 here and my furnace has been going non stop, I was with you right up til the bolded part - and then I got confuzzled. Am I to fill the mug up with rum? (and I'm thinking that amount of rum would certainly put enough hair on my chest to keep me warm the rest of the winter) but I know (and don't ask how) I can't drink that amount and still remain up right. More boiling water? Tea? (I think Chai tea would be really good.)
Ah. Good catch. See, this is why I don't write cookbooks.

Yes, boiling water. Of course if you wanted to fill it up with rum, I'm not gonna stop you.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
TedTheewen
President of the Cray Fan Club

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This holiday season I want to try a Tom & Jerry. Never had one before.

TedTheewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
boozysassmouth
Warthog, skin is already thick.

boozysassmouth is on a distinguished road
Great recipe. I think when I go to my parents next weekend, I'll have my sister bring her dark rum to try this. Thank you for the recipe!
boozysassmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey

We're drinking this Right Now, though mine has a hint of nutmeg only (not a nutmeg fan).

OMG

This is going on The Christmas List right along with Smoking Bishop.

Thank you!

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you thank you thank you!

I know I'm more or less known for my affinity for Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps straight out of the freezer, but hey--it's too cold here for that now. I need a good hot drink.

And I've got a bottle of Bermudian rum in the basement! yay!

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozysassmouth View Post
Great recipe. I think when I go to my parents next weekend, I'll have my sister bring her dark rum to try this. Thank you for the recipe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormie View Post
Thank you thank you thank you!

I know I'm more or less known for my affinity for Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps straight out of the freezer, but hey--it's too cold here for that now. I need a good hot drink.

And I've got a bottle of Bermudian rum in the basement! yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Hey

We're drinking this Right Now, though mine has a hint of nutmeg only (not a nutmeg fan).

OMG

This is going on The Christmas List right along with Smoking Bishop.

Thank you!

My work here is finished.

Hope you all enjoy.

Ted? I want that Tom and Jerry recipe.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Ted? I want that Tom and Jerry recipe.
Remember, you can also add a little cinnamon and/or cloves to the typical recipe.

And if you find the typical T&J too sweet (I do), you can use bourbon in place of the brandy.

I can barely drink a Brandy Alexander; it's just too sweet for me.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Quote:
Remember, you can also add a little cinnamon and/or cloves to the typical recipe.

And if you find the typical T&J too sweet (I do), you can use bourbon in place of the brandy.

I can barely drink a Brandy Alexander; it's just too sweet for me.
Yet you can eat a whole peach cobbler. Weird.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

And a whole blueberry pie!

I do have to have a glass of milk with a piece of pecan pie. It's so rich.

By the way, the T&J was supposedly invented in St. Louis. I think you can still find an honest one there in bars. That is, made the old-fashioned way.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
TedTheewen

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's what many call a traditional recipe for a Tom & Jerry. I've never had one before and every Christmas I say I'm going to try one.

I know I'll be having a hot buttered rum this weekend, I hope, if all goes well.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
Here's what many call a traditional recipe for a Tom & Jerry. I've never had one before and every Christmas I say I'm going to try one.

I know I'll be having a hot buttered rum this weekend, I hope, if all goes well.
That's more sugar than I remember being put in it, but I'm no expert. It's been a few years since I've made a T&J.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Quote:
That's more sugar than I remember being put in it, but I'm no expert. It's been a few years since I've made a T&J.
It does sound like a lot of sugar, but then again, you don't really use all that much batter per cup.

I've got to find Medievalist's recipe for Smoking Bishop. I'm sure she posted it here a year or five ago.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
TedTheewen

All of these drinks sound good. I need to install a bar in my apartment.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
Reziac
Resident Alien

Reziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lazy Man's Hot Buttered Rum:

1 large mug very hot water
1 packet Alpine brand apple cider mix
add dash of cinnamon in the packet, then add it to the water, stir well
add dollop of rum to taste
add large glob of butter

Yummy!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #22
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

Here's another T&J recipe. More like what I remember (although I don't remember ever using 12 eggs either).

http://www.esquire.com/drinks/tom-an...y-drink-recipe

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #23
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Okay, here is a recipe for Smoking Bishop. I dont' know if it's the same one Medievalist posted however long ago, but it, and the variations they mention sound amazing. Awesome drinks may be the only good thing about winter.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #24
Cella
I love that you know how to do that

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mmmm....I have never had a hot alcoholic drink before--unless you count room temp beer, that is, so I'll look forward to trying this one night.

Thanks, pup!
Cella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I've got to find Medievalist's recipe for Smoking Bishop. I'm sure she posted it here a year or five ago.
I posted it on an external site, but Mac posted a link to the recipe that we used for inspiration.

It's in this holiday cooking thread from last year, right here.

And check out OFG's recipe for Swedish Christmas Porridge in the same thread. It's a bit like a lovely rice pudding with almonds.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote