Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
mc101
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

mc101 is on a distinguished road
Sample pages in a query

Hey everyone,

Newb question: when the agent requests the first ten pages with the query letter, what format do you put those pages in? If they're pasted in the body of the e-mail do you put them in traditional submission format with indenting etc. or use block paragraphs? I've done some sample emails with text pasted in and it comes out looking pretty strange in the indented format.

If this question has been asked a million times I apologize. Thanks in advance for any help.
mc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Cella
I love that you know how to do that

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hmm...do they specify about attachments? It seems like that would be the way to go, to me...

Good luck!
Cella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
amschilling
practical experience, FTW

amschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admiration
Most agency websites will say if they want it in the body of the email or as an attachment. General rule is: if they don't say they accept attachments, don't send one. Many won't open one unless they requested it.

As for format, I usually do the indent. But the mail client I use handles it well. Some don't, in which case block paragraphs should be fine.

Help me. Save me. Kill me. Do it. In his mind, they’re all the same. - CREEP

Web Serial | Facebook | Twitter

TOXIC: YA Urban Fantasy web serial - now available!

GRENDEL: Dark Fantasy (Querying)
CREEP: Dark Fantasy (waiting for edits)
ALEXI'S GHOST: YA Gothic (WIP)
DAGDA'S CAULDRON: Contemp. Fantasy (Researching)
amschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
JanDarby
practical experience, FTW

JanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If it's pasted, I fix the formatting, so it reads like an email -- single spaced, no indent, extra line between paragraphs.
JanDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
I paste sample pages directly from the .doc to gmail and don't change the formatting at all. No new lines between paragraphs; every new paragraph is indented; etc. It always turns out fine. (When an agent replies and quotes the text, you'll see if your formatting got garbled or not. Never had an issue.)

However, I use manual tabs, not automatic tabbing.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
Ditto JanDarby. You never know what an agent uses to read queries and how that program or device handles formatting. I prefer to be on the safe side and use email formatting without any tricks.

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't judge how the agent will see the e-mail by looking at it in your own inbox. If you send rtf e-mails, as you should, the formatting will hold, simply because every good agent and editor I know uses a top quality e-mail client, most often MS Outlook.

I frequently have to send formatted short stories by e-mail, and formatting has never been a problem, whether I send using Outlook or Gmail. The editors receive it just fine, and the formatting holds.

The same is true when I receive short stories. articles, etc. in my own inbox. As long as the sender knows to use rtf, everything lands in my Outlook inbox perfectly formatted.